• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Sign Cartier Martin

ATLHawks3

Yeah...highlight videos are just cool and fun to watch...they mean nothing as far as how a guy will perform day-in, day-out.

Semi-O.T. but as a Ga. State Panthers football fan - we were stunned and extremely excited about our incoming 6'4" rocket armed pinpoint passer from the JUCO ranks. He had like three videos and they all made him look like a young John Elway. He is now being redshirted due to lack of accuracy and troubles with his decision making.

Alas.

I seen those vids. 24/7 was high on that kid. He was going to GA State for a reason. He is ass.

Found this:

The Hawks signed Cartier Martin to a non-fully guaranteed contract Tuesday.
He was rumored to go over to China for the upcoming season, but may want to give it one more chance stateside. Martin has a shot to make the team, but will not be in the rotation while the team is healthy

• Moderators

[Debbie Downer warning]

Just a WaPo article about the financial odyssey C-Mart endured in 2011 heading into the lockout.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/nba-10-day-contracts-cartier-martin-of-the-wizards-again-fights-to-hang-on/2012/04/07/gIQASdPX2S_story_2.html

The trouble with money

Martin appeared in 52 games for the Wizards (in 2010-11) season before a stress fracture in his left foot prompted Washington to release him. The team paid for his surgery, but he wasn’t able to play basketball throughout the summer.

Back home in Houston, Martin’s grandmother, 86-year-old Earlier Mae Martin, had passed away, and Martin was making the 115-mile drive to Crockett for the funeral. It was a tough day for everyone in the family.

On the drive, Martin made a phone call to transfer some money — to help control spending, he had only a small amount accessible at any given time — and ran into an problem. He’d turned most of his money over to be managed by Dave Salinas, a friend and mentor. Salinas, a successful Houston area financial adviser, guided Martin through AAU ball, had been a constant confidant and even bought Martin his first car. “A father figure,” Martin calls him.

Martin didn’t know what was wrong with his account and didn’t have time to figure it out. He attended the funeral and when he turned on his phone later, he was inundated with text messages: Have you heard the news?

Salinas had shot and killed himself. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission had unearthed a Ponzi scheme in which Salinas reportedly told his clients he was putting their money in corporate bonds. In all, Salinas may have defrauded more than 100 investors of more than $50 million, according to court records, and people like Martin, Texas Tech Coach Billy Gillispie and Gonzaga Coach Mark Few lost their entire investments.

“I had just seen him two weeks before that. He took me to lunch and he was telling me how proud he was of me for being able to save my money,” Martin said. “It just really hurt. He played me. I felt betrayed by the whole thing.”

Martin said he lost “hundreds of thousands.” While he’s working with attorneys to recoup some of that money from Salinas’s estate, he was instantly put in a bind last summer. Martin said he had only $1,000 in his account and with the NBA lockout jeopardizing the 2011-12 season, he didn’t know when he’d receive another paycheck.

ESPN the Magazine story on Salinas: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8572260/david-salinas-financial-scams-cause-distress-texas-college-hoops-community-espn-magazine

~lw3

I do think this shows the Hawks aren't completely happy with their bench wing players. Johnson can defend the 3 and 4 but not the 2, Martin provides some needed size at the 2 and is much better defensively than Korver. I actually think this could be a real nice little move on the club's part. Nothing ground shattering but one of those moves that helps win a couple of games (assuming he makes the team, which isn't a given).