• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lucas Noguiera and Mike Muscala Watch Thread

mattlanta

Has anyone been able to keep up with our young, big draftees? I apologize if there's already a thread for this, but I didn't see one so I figured I'd put this up so we could keep each other updated on what the latest buzz is overseas.

I was definitely in favor of having both of them play there this season as I was of the opinion that both needed some "extra seasoning" overseas. It's just that Elton Brand looks like he's in that journeyman stage of his career, and I'm anxious for either of these two to develop enough to take over his spot next season.

I haven't heard much about Noguiera lately... Is he injured?

Edited by mattlanta

Has anyone been able to keep up with our young, big draftees? I apologize if there's already a thread for this, but I didn't see one so I figured I'd put this up so we could keep each other updated on what the latest buzz is overseas.

I was definitely in favor of having both of them play there this season as I was of the opinion that both needed some "extra seasoning" overseas. It's just that Elton Brand looks like he's in that journeyman stage of his career, and I'm anxious for either of these two to develop enough to take over his spot next season.

I haven't heard much about Noguiera lately... Is he injured?

It sure would be nice to see both those players make the Hawks roster next season! Add those two players along with a HIGH draft pick (thanks to the Nets!) to the Hawks roster and the Hawks could show some major improvements next season. But, I will confess that the Hawks are playing much better this season than I expected!

I live in Spain but I'm not watching a lot ACB this year.

Nogueira has been injured 3 weeks so has not played a lot of games. Muscala is having a really impressive season, I will try to watch a bit of them...

Lucas is playing now, but is not being televised I think...

• Like 3

Moose may never make an NBA roster but he's probably going to have a great career playing overseas.

I really liked Moose's game. He looked like he had solid center potential while raw right now. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a solid NBA career. I liken him to Brad Miller out of Purdue watching him in SL.

I have to say, I felt Ferry did a heck of a job in this draft. Easily his best one by a mile.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Mike_Muscala/Blusens_Monbus_Obradoiro_CAB/187404

Averaging 14 points and 8 boards. Check out the 90% from the stripe. Super small sample size but impressive nonetheless.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Lucas_Nogueira/Asefa_Estudiantes_Madrid/226125

5 points and 4 boards a game for Sideshow Luck. Also getting a block and a half per game.

I really liked Moose's game. He looked like he had solid center potential while raw right now. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a solid NBA career. I liken him to Brad Miller out of Purdue watching him in SL.

I have to say, I felt Ferry did a heck of a job in this draft. Easily his best one by a mile.

I don't think he's tall enough (considering his lack of athleticism) to really have any type of NBA career but I guess he could be a 5 minute per night guy. I liked his selection in the draft having never seen him play but he looked really bad in summer league.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Mike_Muscala/Blusens_Monbus_Obradoiro_CAB/187404

Averaging 14 points and 8 boards. Check out the 90% from the stripe. Super small sample size but impressive nonetheless.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Lucas_Nogueira/Asefa_Estudiantes_Madrid/226125

5 points and 4 boards a game for Sideshow Luck. Also getting a block and a half per game.

More importantly, how many meals a day is Bebe eating??

• Like 1

I don't think he's tall enough (considering his lack of athleticism) to really have any type of NBA career but I guess he could be a 5 minute per night guy. I liked his selection in the draft having never seen him play but he looked really bad in summer league.

He's 6' 11.5" with shoes on and has a 7'1 wingspan. That's center like. His weight is an issue at 230 but he can easily put on 20-25 pounds in his career.

He will never been a rim protector or defensive stopper but if he can improve his man post defense, his size, his skill level, he has some potential. He has some decent talent.

I liked him more in summer league than the draft. I didn't see him much at Bucknell so when I seen him in SL. I seen why Ferry drafted him but it was great decision for him to go to Europe for a year to get more seasoning and more skill since he isn't ready for the NBA right now.

I doubt Bebe is getting much bigger. The S&C in Europe is no where near the NBA's.

He's 6' 11.5" with shoes on and has a 7'1 wingspan. That's center like. His weight is an issue at 230 but he can easily put on 20-25 pounds in his career.

He will never been a rim protector or defensive stopper but if he can improve his man post defense, his size, his skill level, he has some potential. He has some decent talent.

I liked him more in summer league than the draft. I didn't see him much at Bucknell so when I seen him in SL. I seen why Ferry drafted him but it was great decision for him to go to Europe for a year to get more seasoning and more skill since he isn't ready for the NBA right now.

I doubt Bebe is getting much bigger. The S&C in Europe is no where near the NBA's.

For his lack of athleticism he'd need to be 7'1 with shoes and even then I doubt it would matter as he's slow.

He had tendinitis because of gaining weight. Then his coach said that Atlanta Hawks are very obsessed with gaining weight and it's making him a mental problem.

So I suppose he is not eating so much XD

He would have to eat one of this everyday Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

He had tendinitis because of gaining weight. Then his coach said that Atlanta Hawks are very obsessed with gaining weight and it's making him a mental problem.

So I suppose he is not eating so much Posted Image

He would have to eat one of this everyday Posted Image

Posted Image

I have no idea what that is but it's definitely not making me hungry! If he is getting tendinitis from putting on weight then he needs to be working on strengthening his body and not just getting fat. That's the one thing that I really worry about him being away from the Hawks is that he's not going to have a proper strength and conditioning program, plus he's gonna be napping in the afternoon too like y'all do... which I'm jealous of lol.

• Like 1

Nice Q and A with Mike Jawz. Who? MIKE JAWZ!!

Jawing with Jawz: A Conversation with Mike Muscala
Brandon Barnes December 3, 2013 Leave a comment

For my debut piece on HawksHoop, I decided to have a chat with the Hawks’ 44th overall selection in the 2013 NBA Draft – Mike Muscala. After four nice years at Bucknell University, Mike is playing his 2013-2014 season overseas for Blusens Monbus Obradoiro in Spain. He has documented his time across the pond in a series of videos entitled “Jawz Journey”. Check out episodes one, two, and three.

BB: Thanks for joining me, Mike. How’s it going?MM: Thanks for having me, Brandon. Estoy bien!BB: Magnífico! How have you adjusted to life in Spain?MM: I’ve really enjoyed my time here in Spain so far. I’m living here with my best friend, Peter Vang, whom I’ve known for most of my life. The people here are all very friendly and I’m loving the food!BB: I noticed in your 3rd Jawz Journey video that, besides your friend/roommate, you have befriended teammate, former Miami Hurricane, and fellow American Durand Scott. What’s it like having that guy you can relate to and speak your own language for once?MM: Durand is a great player and an even better person. He refuses to learn how to drive manual, so he always rides with me and Peter. I shouldn’t talk though, I don’t know really know how to drive manual either (as you can also see from the Jawz Journey videos). Nick Minnerath and Ben Dewar are two other Americans on the team as well.BB: Speaking of languages, I noticed you speaking some solid Spanish in one of your interviews. Would you consider yourself fluent now or just knowledgeable in basketball terms?

MM: I consider fluent being able to speak the language without thinking, which I definitely cannot do at this point. However, before I came to Spain I got nervous before interviews or situations where I knew I would be speaking Spanish, and I don’t get that anymore. I’ve learned a lot, but it still doesn’t necessarily come easy to me.BB: You’re playing in Spain’s Liga Endesa, a league that contains some high-profile foreign NBA prospects, including our own Lucas Nogueira and also former NBA player Rudy Fernandez. What has it been like going up against these types of guys on a weekly basis?

MM: Liga Endesa is a great league filled with tough teams and players. The biggest difference (from college) that I’ve found in my playing experience so far is the intelligence of the players. The expression “Every possession matters” definitely holds true here. Mistakes get exploited, whether it’s helping off the wrong guy or not making the right pass. You have to be really focused when you’re playing — learning from mistakes and successes quickly and then moving on to the next play.BB: Speaking of Lucas, you have a big matchup with him coming up on January 4th. Your excitement must be through the roof to play your Las Vegas Summer League teammate! Or is this just another game on your way to make the NBA roster?MM: Right now I’m focused on our next game, but when the time comes I will enjoy spending time with him before and after our game. He’s a great guy and a good friend.BB: When you were watching the first round of the NBA Draft, what did you think of Lucas’ hair when he walked up to shake Commissioner David Stern’s hand?MM: I laughed. What I really wonder is what he would look like without the hair! It’s his marketing though.BB: Your mid-range game is something that caught my eye during Summer League. I watched a bit of one of your games on YouTube the other day, and I noticed you going back to what works best – that mid-range jumper – time and time again. At what point in your playing career did you focus on making outside shooting a practice habit?MM: I started shooting the mid-range jumper a lot in college. I feel really comfortable with it because I practice it a lot. I’m trying to extend my range and also get better shooting off of the dribble.BB: I don’t know if it was the computer screen or my night-time glasses, but it appears as if you’ve spent some quality time in the weight room. How much of a priority is getting your body ready for the front-court grind of the NBA?MM: Improving my body is a huge priority. I get in two extra lifts per week here since we only play once a week. Not only strength but flexibility, balance, and explosiveness, too.BB: Other than getting stronger, what other aspects of your game have you been working on this fall?MM: I’ve been working on a lot of things, but I thing my two biggest areas of focus have been on improving my change of pace on offense and my post defense. I watch a lot of film and try to translate that to workouts and practice, and eventually games.BB: Because of the time difference, I realize that staying up to watch an NBA game must be incredibly inconvenient, but have you caught any Hawks games this season?MM: Yes, I’ve watched most of them. I have an NBA League Pass account that makes it really easy to watch replays.BB: Could you describe your relationship with the some of guys you played with in Vegas? It must be neat seeing guys such as Mike Scott get rewarded for their hard work with some valuable playing time.MM: I don’t talk with any of them regularly, but I got to know Mike, Shelvin, John, and Jared pretty well during Summer League and also later on in Atlanta when I was there working out. They are all good people and were helpful to me, too.BB: Is it safe to say that your preferred nickname is Jawz? (Some fellow bloggers were calling you Moose during Summer League) How did that start?MM: I don’t know what my preferred nickname is. I guess Mike Jawz. That name started in 8th grade when my friends and I started a rap group. Who? Mike Jawz!!! And Moose was my nickname in college, but we can leave it there. 4 years was enough.BB: By the time Summer League comes around next year, what do you hope to prove to Hawks management? In a different way, what qualities do you want Hawks GM Danny Ferry to associate with Mike Muscala?MM: Summer League is so far away, and honestly I try not to focus on proving things. That type of attitude works for some, but not all. I play basketball because I love it. I’m naturally competitive, so that drives me to improve my game and win, but most of all I play basketball because I really enjoy it. As for qualities, first and foremost, I want to be known as a good person. A person who would still be highly regarded if it wasn’t for basketball. After that, a great teammate. In my mind, wanting to be a great teammate also means you want to be a great player.

True fact: Mike lost to me in NBA 2K14. I’m not usually one to brag, but I’m sure he won’t mind. He has a shot at being in the game very soon!

Blusens Monbus Obradoiro is currently 3-5 and Mike is averaging a solid 15 points and 8 rebounds per game on 51% shooting from the field. He is also an impressive 31-33 from the charity stripe.

http://hawkshoop.com/jawing-with-jawz-a-conversation-with-mike-muscala/

• Premium Member

I can't wait till Mike and Bebe come. We need some centers with some talent. Mike really needs to get more consistent and expand his range. Bebe just needs to get bigger and more in-tune on defense.

Now this I agree with. Antić and Goose ain't cutting it. If it weren't for the Hawks having to fill out the roster after our dismal offseason, Antić and Goose probably wouldn't be in the NBA.

• Like 2

Seems that our beloved Hawks are good right now and have the opportunity

to be much better next season.

Two centers! Dennis and JJ working well in the D league.

And, I don't believe we have anyone whose contract runs out soon.

GO HAWKS!!

Edited by Gray Mule