• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Three ball assault continues

Gray Mule

Hawks have a problem, being bombarded from behind the arch. These points

add up fast and Atlanta continues to be buried because of them.

In our last game, Washington shot 12-24 from downtown. That's 1 1/2 points

every time they attempted a shot. Each time the Hawks started to gain on

their opponent, sometimes coming close, they simply dropped in another

couple of threes and got back that comfortable lead.

This appears to be the problem in each and every one of our recent losses.

And, if we attempt to shut down this assault, we leave the lane open for a

lay up parade for our opponents.

Can our problem be solved? What do other teams do? Not every NBA team

gives up 50% shooting from downtown.

Posted Image

• Premium Member

It really has been troubling to see almost every game our guys give up uncontested three after uncontested three. This is where Teague's inability to get over a screen and almost always go under it leaves guys open. And it isn't just him.

We are too small, don't have the length, and this isn't just a frontcourt issue but it's a backcourt issue as well. I really don't understand what Ferry is doing but this is what happens when you try to turn your team into the Spurs without a franchise cornerstone like Duncan. It looks bad.

• Like 1

We are too small, don't have the length, and this isn't just a frontcourt issue but it's a backcourt issue as well. I really don't understand what Ferry is doing but this is what happens when you try to turn your team into the Spurs without a franchise cornerstone like Duncan. It looks bad.

Hate to say it but your absolutely right! Our beloved hawks are probably worst in the league at defending the 3 ball.Can't believe I'm saying this but I think Cartier Martin and DMC are the ONLY 2 that has some decent to good ability to defend the perimeter!....in other words I blame everyone else except Martin and DMC!....milsap,Teague,horford are all to blame on this teams defense but not just them ferry as well.

Exactly why I think we need to make a trade for a SG before a center. A player like Afflalo or even as Shumpert would do well on this team. Problem is getting them here. I will concede however that Teague needs to do better getting over screens before a trade helps us in that department.

We are too small, don't have the length, and this isn't just a frontcourt issue but it's a backcourt issue as well.

Yep. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I don't understand as well. The Spurs model worked because of franchise players like Robinson and Duncan. They did get Parker late in the 1st round. The problem Danny has is he is going to have to trade for a superstar player and there are non available at this point.

• Like 1

Exactly why I think we need to make a trade for a SG before a center. A player like Afflalo or even as Shumpert would do well on this team. Problem is getting them here. I will concede however that Teague needs to do better getting over screens before a trade helps us in that department.

We really don't have any trading assets anymore.

Horf is worth too much for us.

Jeff is as well.

We aren't trading Dennis or Bebe.

Our pick isn't going no where but to Atlanta at least till the lottery.

Our best piece is really Korver which would add another issue.

Did the Spurs model happen overnight? NO. This Spurs model is very different from the Duncan/Robinson model. For about 2 years Ginobli was the catalyst of the model. The offense has evolved over time. The model is now centered around Tony Parker the 28th pick - who saw that coming?The constant thing the Spurs have had beside TD is stability in the coach and front office personnel. What exactly is the Spurs Model?

• Moderators

We really don't have any trading assets anymore.

Horf is worth too much for us.

Jeff is as well.

We aren't trading Dennis or Bebe.

Our pick isn't going no where but to Atlanta at least till the lottery.

Our best piece is really Korver which would add another issue.

Our pick will look pretty good if NJ keeps struggling. Not sure I'd want to deal that in this draft but it is an exciting possibility.

Our pick will look pretty good if NJ keeps struggling. Not sure I'd want to deal that in this draft but it is an exciting possibility.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. We aren't trading that pick, maybe after the lottery but not before, not a chance.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Did the Spurs model happen overnight? NO. This Spurs model is very different from the Duncan/Robinson model. For about 2 years Ginobli was the catalyst of the model. The offense has evolved over time. The model is now centered around Tony Parker the 28th pick - who saw that coming?The constant thing the Spurs have had beside TD is stability in the coach and front office personnel.What exactly is the Spurs Model?

Anytime you get Duncan or Robinson, you always have a shot. It's then up to the GM. The problem is, we need a Duncan or Robinson.

Anytime you get Duncan or Robinson, you always have a shot. It's then up to the GM. The problem is, we need a Duncan or Robinson.

I know that - you know that - Bud and Ferry knows that - everybody knows that....My question is what do most people think the Spurs model is?Is it style of play? Basketball Philosophy ? The system? The kind of players (barring that one in a generation SUPERSTAR), making sound draft choices, not over paying players, stable front office where everyone has a voice and the owner(s) are quiet, getting rid of players that rock the boat? What is it? Edited by JayBirdHawk

I don't understand as well. The Spurs model worked because of franchise players like Robinson and Duncan. They did get Parker late in the 1st round. The problem Danny has is he is going to have to trade for a superstar player and there are non available at this point.

Agreed Vol...S.A. getting the Admiral and then Duncan was like when the Cowboys traded Herschel Walker to the Vikings and ended up getting a ton of offensive and defensive linemen. They were able to quickly build the foundation that would serve them well for years. We can say that Parker has been a big key - and he has - but whose to say a different guard wouldn't have been successful too with the solidity they had in the paint.

It's definitely something that needs fixing, but as with most things Hawks related, I don't really see any need for panic (not talking to you OP, but I am talking to seemingly half the posters on Hawksquawk these days). Maybe as I get older my brand of sports fandom has become more mellow. Or maybe I buy more into Danny Ferry than the average Squawker. But as I watch my Hawks drop to below .500, I don't get frustrated or panic. I see the positives and enjoy them.

Lack of length and an inability to defend well - whether it's defending the 3 or anything else, quite frankly - are problems. But the way I see it we're in the first FULL year of Danny Ferry putting his imprint on the organization. He got his coach in place. He got some of his players. He's moving around the chess pieces and picking up bargaining chips here and there. This thread is full of people saying we have no assets. That's hyperbole at best and pigheaded wrongness at worst. DMC, Martin, Antić, Jenkins, guys like that: sure, probably not really worth anything on the trade market. Teague, Horford, Millsap, Korver, Schröder, future picks, hell even Bebe and Muscala: those are pieces. Not saying I want to see them traded, but you're blind if you don't think they're worth anything. And please, let's not forget the unbelievable value we have in the Nets 2014 and 2015 picks. Come July we could very well be sitting here saying Danny Ferry pulled off the greatest trade in league HISTORY.

I'm rambling now, but basically what I'm saying is this: if you treat this year like a rebuilding year, and truly understand what that entails (i.e., taking a whole lot of wait-and-see stances, not overreacting to every single loss, and giving the FO at least some benefit of the doubt), you might end up like me and think the 2013-14 Hawks are actually a whole lot of fun to watch.

It's definitely something that needs fixing, but as with most things Hawks related, I don't really see any need for panic (not talking to you OP, but I am talking to seemingly half the posters on Hawksquawk these days). Maybe as I get older my brand of sports fandom has become more mellow. Or maybe I buy more into Danny Ferry than the average Squawker. But as I watch my Hawks drop to below .500, I don't get frustrated or panic. I see the positives and enjoy them.

Lack of length and an inability to defend well - whether it's defending the 3 or anything else, quite frankly - are problems. But the way I see it we're in the first FULL year of Danny Ferry putting his imprint on the organization. He got his coach in place. He got some of his players. He's moving around the chess pieces and picking up bargaining chips here and there. This thread is full of people saying we have no assets. That's hyperbole at best and pigheaded wrongness at worst. DMC, Martin, Antić, Jenkins, guys like that: sure, probably not really worth anything on the trade market. Teague, Horford, Millsap, Korver, Schröder, future picks, hell even Bebe and Muscala: those are pieces. Not saying I want to see them traded, but you're blind if you don't think they're worth anything. And please, let's not forget the unbelievable value we have in the Nets 2014 and 2015 picks. Come July we could very well be sitting here saying Danny Ferry pulled off the greatest trade in league HISTORY.

I'm rambling now, but basically what I'm saying is this: if you treat this year like a rebuilding year, and truly understand what that entails (i.e., taking a whole lot of wait-and-see stances, not overreacting to every single loss, and giving the FO at least some benefit of the doubt), you might end up like me and think the 2013-14 Hawks are actually a whole lot of fun to watch.

While we all see that the 2014 pick is an epic asset, we don't know where it is at and what it will be till the end of the season and the end of the lottery.