• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Real Talk.....Time..

Diesel

• Moderators

Just keep fantasizing that Nique will attract superstars cause in your head is the only place it could happen. Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time and I don't see superstars lining up to play for him.

Come on. Seriously? Who pulled the best player from the Utah Jazz in free agency and signed him to a low cost deal...oh wait that was Danny Ferry. But Jordan landed Al Jefferson who has a dominant post game and, well, this

Posted Image

• Like 1

To each their own but I've never seen an NBA GM who had trouble with common words and player names. And it's not like Nique came from a poor upbringing where he was in terrible schools either so there's really no excuse for his limitations there. I don't see that as a public speaking issue either, it's something else that I don't know exactly what it is but to me it's a lack of something. I don't think I'm alone in thinking this way either and take that line of thought out of sports and into the corporate world, would you ever hire someone to run your company who didn't have a basic grasp of the English language? Of course not so why do that with your sports team?

1st let me say I love Nique. He was my favorite player growing up and my favorite all time player to this day. Heck, I even have an autographed picture of him in my office.

However, when compared to GM material, Nique lacks the elite basketball knowledge / strategy / scheme that I would be looking for in a GM. If he has that basketball knowledge he does not have the communication skills to show it. I don't get the: "Don't judge a book by its cover arguement." That arguement holds no water. We have heard Nique call hundreds of NBA games and have listened to his take on the game of basketball for years now. Go listen to a game called by Mike Fratello, Douge Collins, Hubie Brown, Jack Ramsey, Mike Glenn, Mark Jackson, JVG, etc. Just listen to those basketball minds call a game. Its plainly evident their knowledge of the game, its strategies, and schemes supercedes Nique's. I learn things about basketball when I listen to those guys call a game. I have never learned anything from Nique's analysis.

One example of Nique's lack of BB IQ was in last nights game. The Hawks have a ball movement offense. The coaches do not like to see the ball get stuck in one place for long. We were swinging the a ball inside and out......then around the perimeter where the ball stopped with Carrol. The Hawks were doing just as they are coached to do up to that point. Carrol was double teamed but had a wide open Korver in the corner for a 3. Carrol chose to drive the ball vs. a double team and got an offensive foul call for a turnover. He could have completed the passing rotation and gotten Korver and open corner 3. It was obvious. Korver was even waiving for the ball.

What was Nique's response ? "I think we over passed the ball right there.Too much passing." Bob just bit his tounge and went about calling the next play. I was shaking my head thinking WTF are you thinking Nique and then I thought of this thread. The passing was perfect. We just needed 1 more pass to hit Korver, 1 of the best 3 point shooters on the planet, for an open 3 !

Maybe to Nique all that passing and ball movement is a waiste of time b/c he could spin around a double team and dunk over the opposition's center.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

We all know Nique was allergic to passing so that didn't surprise me when he said that. It's just cracking me up that Diesel is trying to create some drama here as if it's a great conspiracy that Nique isn't the GM... and it's even more funny when we've got the best GM we've possibly ever had running the ship now.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Just keep fantasizing that Nique will attract superstars cause in your head is the only place it could happen. Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time and I don't see superstars lining up to play for him.

But what Superstars are Mike going after? Where exactly is MJ's fail story as it pertains to superstar talent? Let me help you. Jordan became an owner to make money not to win games. His ownership has been a steady march towards a cheaper team with the montra that all cheap owners make... We will build through the draft. It's not even relevant.

Dwight Howard gave strong consideration to the Warriors because he wanted to play for Mark Jackson. CP3 shut us out and ended the coming together with D12 because he wanted to play for Doc Rivers. If you think that star power is not attractive to players, you're smoking.

• Premium Member

I love Wilkins to Diesel, but I guess I honestly don't understand why you're so fixated on having him be a GM?

Let's get a better understanding. I love Wilkins and am not necessarily pushing for him to be GM... Over the years though, I have noticed how he's been portrayed here. As if he's somebody who is incapable of being a GM because he's not intelligent enough. This is real talk so I wanted to have a real talk about that portrayal of our most beloved superstar. There's a segment of fans that thinks that Nique is dumb as a bag of hammers... However, while he's out repping this team, when asked a question about why we don't attract fans, he's the only one in the Hawks organization that has ever said aloud.. that we need a superstars. He's the only one that has ever criticized the organization about not doing enough to get a superstar. Like it or not, Ferry is never going to go after a superstar. He may go through the motions like he did with Howard, but there will always be some excuse for him. In all honest, the man who lost Lebron James for Cleveland is looking to prove that he can do it with metrics. He wants to prove that he can be San Antonio with Duncan and Parker. When he talks about a new coach, he didn't suggest that there would be stars. Because there won't be. But having a superstar is more than just wins and loses... Its a culture also. Nique knows that culture because he's been that. Ferry doesn't.

• Moderators

But what Superstars are Mike going after? Where exactly is MJ's fail story as it pertains to superstar talent? Let me help you. Jordan became an owner to make money not to win games. His ownership has been a steady march towards a cheaper team with the montra that all cheap owners make... We will build through the draft. It's not even relevant.

Dwight Howard gave strong consideration to the Warriors because he wanted to play for Mark Jackson. CP3 shut us out and ended the coming together with D12 because he wanted to play for Doc Rivers. If you think that star power is not attractive to players, you're smoking.

They didn't want to play for Mark Jackson and Doc Rivers because they were good players in the 80s. They wanted to play for them because they liked them as coaches. I don't know about the Mark Jackson as i'm guessing the Warriors being a really good team with big time talent was a major factor. But yeah CP3 wanted to play for a friggin championship coach for once in his life. He didn't recruit doc because he was a big fan of his steady play for the Hawks. Rings

• Like 1

:ahf2:

Let's get a better understanding. I love Wilkins and am not necessarily pushing for him to be GM... Over the years though, I have noticed how he's been portrayed here. As if he's somebody who is incapable of being a GM because he's not intelligent enough. This is real talk so I wanted to have a real talk about that portrayal of our most beloved superstar. There's a segment of fans that thinks that Nique is dumb as a bag of hammers... However, while he's out repping this team, when asked a question about why we don't attract fans, he's the only one in the Hawks organization that has ever said aloud.. that we need a superstars. He's the only one that has ever criticized the organization about not doing enough to get a superstar. Like it or not, Ferry is never going to go after a superstar. He may go through the motions like he did with Howard, but there will always be some excuse for him. In all honest, the man who lost Lebron James for Cleveland is looking to prove that he can do it with metrics. He wants to prove that he can be San Antonio with Duncan and Parker. When he talks about a new coach, he didn't suggest that there would be stars. Because there won't be. But having a superstar is more than just wins and loses... Its a culture also. Nique knows that culture because he's been that. Ferry doesn't.

Real talk. Dominique would never be able to understand the CBA, contracts, intricacies of trades or be able to have a real long term plan to build a franchise. There's your real talk.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Real talk. Dominique would never be able to understand the CBA, contracts, intricacies of trades or be able to have a real long term plan to build a franchise. There's your real talk.

It kills me to say it but this is your thread ender. I still <3 Nique though.

• Like 1

Sports ownership is still predominantly white.

Has nothing to do with race. As Shaq said he's not rich, the man who signs his checks is rich. You gotta be rich to own a sports team and without knowing the numbers I'd guess the vast majority of rich people are white in this country.

Edit - looked at some numbers and it's ridiculously lopsided towards white and Jewish people. Just shows that this is a numbers game and when the vast majority of wealthy people are white or Jewish they're going to be the most likely to own sports teams.

http://thebilzerianreport.com/who-are-the-1-percent/

To get off the race card.........b/c it makes posters sound really stupid when thats all they got to contribute to a debate.

I'm suprised no one has brought up this point. A very small percentage of NBA GM's retain their jobs for a very long time. What happens when the Hawks are forced to fire their greatest living legend in Dominique ? Could there be sour grapes that tarnish the long term realtionship between the franchise and their greatest living legend ?

Jerry West and Joe Dumars are the only HOF players, I can think of, who are/were the GM of the same team they played for. Its much different if the Pacers have to fire Larry Bird as GM then if the Celtics had to fire him for a longterm PR stand point. Franchises want to keep their HOF players in good standing with their organization so they can continue to market their franchise.

Edited by coachx

To get of the race card.........b/c it makes posters sound really stupid when thats all they got to contribute to a debate.

I'm suprised no one has brought up this point. A very small percentage of NBA GM's retain their jobs for a very long time. What happens when the Hawks are forced to fire their greatest living legend in Dominique ? Could there be sour grapes that tarnish the long term realtionship between the franchise and their greatest living legend ?

Jerry West and Joe Dumars are the only HOF players, I can think of, who are/were the GM of the same team they played for. Its much different if the Pacers have to fire Larry Bird as GM then if the Celtics had to fire him for a longterm PR stand point. Franchises want to keep their HOF players in good standing with their organization so they can continue to market their franchise.

I think a lot of people feel that way about not wanting to see Nique in a position where he'd be a candidate to be fired. For me that's in addition to not feeling he's qualified.

There's an old joke:

"Where does a 900 pound gorilla sit?"

Answer: "Any where he wants to sit!"

What is Nique doing and why isn't he doing something else?

Because he's doing exactly what he wants to do.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

But what's your basis??

He don't understand these things because he was a STAR player?

Because he doesn't pronunciation words and names to your liking?

Because he went to UGA?

No... sounds like Your real talk is that Nique is Black and he will never get those things?

I mean, have you ever heard Larry Bird Talk?? He's a country hick from French Lick... BUT...he gets the GM/President Job and none of the other things I stated above applies. In fact, he went to Indiana State?? But I'm sure that you believe or would have no hard time believing that Mr. French Lick would understand the CBA, contracts, intricacies of trades or be able to have a real long term plan to build a franchise. Same thing for Mullin. Same thing for McHale.

Here's a question... Would you think the same about Steve Kerr?