• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm tired of Hawks being short in the paint

gsuteke

This has been going on for over 5 years now. One of our "bigs" gets the ball in the paint and has to take a weak contested shot. It happened to Milsap at the end if the 1st period. They have to scrap for rebounds on the defensive end. When are the Hawks going to bring in some size? This ish is getting old.

This has been going on for over 5 years now. One of our "bigs" gets the ball in the paint and has to take a weak contested shot. It happened to Milsap at the end if the 1st period. They have to scrap for rebounds on the defensive end. When are the Hawks going to bring in some size? This ish is getting old.

Bring back Petro Posted Image Mediocre Forever!

Go Hawks Posted Image

Horford was just AWFUL tonight.. no confidence on offense, late to close on Ibaka on multiple jumpshots and got pushed around by the equally undersized Perkins/Ibaka combo.

Ibaka is one of the longest players in the NBA and Perkins is one of the strongest centers/players in the NBA. If you don't see we need a true center, I don't know what to say.

• Like 2

All I kept thinking last night was how much we lack real size... that and the fact that the Thunder are deep in talent at nearly every position! That Adams kid looks like he is going to be a solid player. I sure hope we don't regret passing on someone like Dieng for Bebe as Dieng could have helped us this year. Honestly that's why I wanted to double down on bigs and take a guy who's ready now and a guy to develop. Schröder should end up being a nice player but I liked what we had in Mack as a backup PG to develop.

• Like 2

Its been forever we've needed size, and I think we got smaller this year. All I can conclude is that the owners simply do not think you need big players to win games. For a while (in JJ era) we lacked 3 point shooting. Now we have it. We lacked at the PG position - now we have some. But size we've been lacking that for a long time and nothing seems to get done about it. These guys just seem sold on small ball and apparently Ferry agrees. (Even the last few years we could go with a "big" lineup. No more.)

• Premium Member

All I kept thinking last night was how much we lack real size... that and the fact that the Thunder are deep in talent at nearly every position! That Adams kid looks like he is going to be a solid player. I sure hope we don't regret passing on someone like Dieng for Bebe as Dieng could have helped us this year. Honestly that's why I wanted to double down on bigs and take a guy who's ready now and a guy to develop. Schröder should end up being a nice player but I liked what we had in Mack as a backup PG to develop.

I don't call the Thunder deep in talent. They make their talent work for them.

OK.. So they have KD and Westbrook.

After that though.

Ibaka? - Good shotblocker, Good rebounder but not much of an offensive threat.

Perkins? - Come on man. This guy was barely good, now he's barely playing.

Collison? - Waiting for the end of his contract.

Adams - Rookie, will get there but not close to being there yet.

I started with the frontcourt because this is the group that outrebounded us by 9 and controlled the paint.

Fisher... I can't believe he's still playing.

Reggie Jackson = Somebody has to benefit from playing with KD and Westbrook.

Roberson? = Who is that?

Gomes? - Has he played this year?

Sefolosha = plays good defense but offense is nonexistent.

So this is OKC. It's really not impressive if you look at the parts alone, but together, they are greater than the sum total of their parts.

• Premium Member

Its been forever we've needed size, and I think we got smaller this year. All I can conclude is that the owners simply do not think you need big players to win games. For a while (in JJ era) we lacked 3 point shooting. Now we have it. We lacked at the PG position - now we have some. But size we've been lacking that for a long time and nothing seems to get done about it. These guys just seem sold on small ball and apparently Ferry agrees. (Even the last few years we could go with a "big" lineup. No more.)

It's a bad miscalculation. They miscalculated in saying that the time of Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem, and Ewing is over.. and that there are no more dominate bigs to worry about so Horf can fill the void. The miscalculation is that the time of the Dominant big is not quite over. Chandler took Dallas to a championship. Hibbert will do the same for Indy. Monroe and Drummond in Detroit was on track to be a great duo. Noah makes winning possible in Chicago. Even the Perk/Ibaka combo in Seattle is lethal. When the rubber meets the road, there will be teams with bigs left standing. The only other way you can get there is with a superstar.

• Moderators

It's a bad miscalculation. They miscalculated in saying that the time of Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem, and Ewing is over.. and that there are no more dominate bigs to worry about so Horf can fill the void. The miscalculation is that the time of the Dominant big is not quite over. Chandler took Dallas to a championship. Hibbert will do the same for Indy. Monroe and Drummond in Detroit was on track to be a great duo. Noah makes winning possible in Chicago. Even the Perk/Ibaka combo in Seattle is lethal. When the rubber meets the road, there will be teams with bigs left standing. The only other way you can get there is with a superstar.

I don't disagree with you but the there's a big difference between really good centers and just big guys. The league is full of mediocre 7 footers who aren't taking their teams anywhere. There's only a few that are worth a damn. Definitely not enough to go around.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't disagree with you but the there's a big difference between really good centers and just big guys. The league is full of mediocre 7 footers who aren't taking their teams anywhere. There's only a few that are worth a damn. Definitely not enough to go around.

I think this is the thought that gets us into the most trouble.

What do you say about Brook Lopez... is he a really big guy or is he a good center?

How about Hibbert?

How about Chandler?

How about Monroe?

How about Vucevic?

How about DMC?

The fact of the matter is that a really big guy.. can be that guy who can take over a game either with his offense in the post or his defense in the post. That's what makes a good C. Sure, there are not any superstar Centers like Shaq.. but these good centers are still causing us problems.

We have to have more than Horf. The previous thinking was that Horf can get us 10+ rebounds and on offense he will outrun his competition and get easy scores. The problem is that the competition isn't sweating Horf's speed. It means very little.

I don't call the Thunder deep in talent. They make their talent work for them.

OK.. So they have KD and Westbrook.

After that though.

Ibaka? - Good shotblocker, Good rebounder but not much of an offensive threat.

Perkins? - Come on man. This guy was barely good, now he's barely playing.

Collison? - Waiting for the end of his contract.

Adams - Rookie, will get there but not close to being there yet.

I started with the frontcourt because this is the group that outrebounded us by 9 and controlled the paint.

Fisher... I can't believe he's still playing.

Reggie Jackson = Somebody has to benefit from playing with KD and Westbrook.

Roberson? = Who is that?

Gomes? - Has he played this year?

Sefolosha = plays good defense but offense is nonexistent.

So this is OKC. It's really not impressive if you look at the parts alone, but together, they are greater than the sum total of their parts.

You're entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree with your individual assessments here.

Ibaka is a tremendous defensive weapon and one of the best outside shooting PF's in the game. Jackson is a very talented young PG who can score in a variety of ways and plays good D as well. Adams has a ton of talent. Lamb is a talented young SG. Collison, Sefolosha and Perk are all still productive players who give them good minutes. They've still got Perry Jones and Andre Roberson, who was arguably the best pound for pound rebounder in the NCAA last year. And then at the end of the day they've got possibly the best PG and SG/SF's in the game. That's a lot of talent and they're pretty young too. Far, far more talented than Atlanta are.

What do you say about Brook Lopez... is he a really big guy or is he a good center?

How about Hibbert?

How about Chandler?

How about Monroe?

How about Vucevic?

How about DMC?

The fact of the matter is that a really big guy.. can be that guy who can take over a game either with his offense in the post or his defense in the post. That's what makes a good C. Sure, there are not any superstar Centers like Shaq.. but these good centers are still causing us problems.

We have to have more than Horf. The previous thinking was that Horf can get us 10+ rebounds and on offense he will outrun his competition and get easy scores. The problem is that the competition isn't sweating Horf's speed. It means very little.

There is no such person named BrookS Lopez

• Premium Member

I have to comment on the Thunder analysis: you can't knock the other players on that team when they have two guys that shoot the ball a crap ton between them in Durant and Westbrook. Of course no one else on the team would be a significant scorer because there's only so many shots a team can take in a game. Ibaka has a nice outside jumper that's he developed as well as being a good defender and rebounder. If he was on other team he'd score more. Kevin Martin and Harden are showing what they can (Martin esp) when he's not relegated to a third man off the bench role.

I have to comment on the Thunder analysis: you can't knock the other players on that team when they have two guys that shoot the ball a crap ton between them in Durant and Westbrook. Of course no one else on the team would be a significant scorer because there's only so many shots a team can take in a game. Ibaka has a nice outside jumper that's he developed as well as being a good defender and rebounder. If he was on other team he'd score more. Kevin Martin and Harden are showing what they can (Martin esp) when he's not relegated to a third man off the bench role.

LOL Kevin Martin hasn't taken ANY shots for OKC this year...

How about Hibbert?

How about Chandler?

How about Monroe?

How about Vucevic?

How about DMC?

There is a lot of starting quality centers that would help playing next to Horford. This is the deepest center position we have had in the NBA since the 90's if not deeper. The issue is we don't have any superstar centers in today's NBA. Al was fine at the position in 2008 when the league literally had 6-7 starting caliber centers and a bunch of tweeners and PF's playing the position. The center position is no longer that weak anymore so no Al should not play center at all anymore.

You and I can argue but it's a moot point. Al needs to be a PF. It's his best position. He tends to do much better when I watch him at the position than at Center especially v. quality bigs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There is a lot of starting quality centers that would help playing next to Horford. This is the deepest center position we have had in the NBA since the 90's if not deeper. The issue is we don't have any superstar centers in today's NBA. Al was fine at the position in 2008 when the league literally had 6-7 starting caliber centers and a bunch of tweeners and PF's playing the position. The center position is no longer that weak anymore so no Al should not play center at all anymore.

You and I can argue but it's a moot point. Al needs to be a PF. It's his best position. He tends to do much better when I watch him at the position than at Center especially v. quality bigs.

No argument here. I agree with this.

I think as Horf gets older and the one advantage that he has over bigs tend to disappear, we will find that he's not so useful. I say either find him a mate or trade him and rebuild our bigs.

No argument here. I agree with this.

I think as Horf gets older and the one advantage that he has over bigs tend to disappear, we will find that he's not so useful. I say either find him a mate or trade him and rebuild our bigs.

I always felt your opinion of Al being quicker than C's was overstated. I felt that didn't matter if he was playing v. a truly great defensive positional center or someone who Al couldn't guard like Brook Lopez.

Al is at his best when he can just play his role. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it shows on the stat sheet and in the highlight reels. Anytime Al has to do more than that, his impact isn't as high. Right now, Bud is trying to use him like Duncan and that's too much on Al. Duncan is one of the greatest players in the NBA. Al is a very good PF and an elite movement one but you can't ask him to try to play outside of his element.

• Premium Member

LOL Kevin Martin hasn't taken ANY shots for OKC this year...

I know...? That's my point. Martin was a stand alone good scorer before he got there, then people acted like Martin forgot how to score which was nuts and now that he's back in a primary scoring role in Minn he's back to being a stand alone good scorer.

I know...? That's my point. Martin was a stand alone good scorer before he got there, then people acted like Martin forgot how to score which was nuts and now that he's back in a primary scoring role in Minn he's back to being a stand alone good scorer.

Oh I missed that my bad. Should have noticed you said Harden too. I guess I need to lay off the lean!
  • Like 1