• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Disappearing Act of Jeff Teague

frankthetank966

My problem with Teague is his indecision, inconsistency and lack of focus.

It's Ok he doesn't have natural PG skills (I accept that) it's not who he is, but since he isn't that he has to give something else in return to make up for that.

• Moderators

I find it kinda funny the more the season goes on the more supes and I are looking right about Teague. He's average. His good games even out with his bad games to make a sum total of average.

In the golden age of point guard that we are in right now Teague is an average starter.

Well since you brought it up. I just have to kindly point out that one of you said Dennis was already better than Teague. Like a lot of guys he seems more respected around the league than around here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Please. All players have off games and off stretches. What Teague needs is options on offense. You can't say to Teague..Ok, either you drive and score or you pass it to Korver and expect that he will be an elite PG. When Horf went out, we lost an option. It hasn't just effected Teague, but I really haven't seen anybody step up. The Hawks has become about streak watch. And it's not as though Horf was that great of a player, but he was another option.

I don't think that you trade Millsap or Teague unless a sweetheart of a deal comes along. Instead, I think that we have to bring in a 2 guard or 3 who can help us with offensive options. I really like Afflalo but there are some others who can help.

Here's what we can't do:

Allow this Horf/Millsap mix to continue and call Horf a true 5. We have to address the Center position with a rebounding, defensive C and then we have to send either Horf or Millsap somewhere else so that we can build this team correctly. We need a real wing player and not a 2 PF set.

• Like 1

Overall I'm happy with his play but as i said he could improve some areas especially with turnovers. But those are exaggerations of his stats. As far as threes go he has shot poorly for sure but you don't see him jacking 6-8 a game. I think our main difference is in expectation. This is an offense with a lot of responsibility on the PG. 17/8. Solidly 3rd best team in the east before we lost our best player. I don't call that a disappointment. We'll see. Ferry and Bud don't seem like guys who will just stand pat if Teague isn't getting it done the way they like.

Those aren't exaggerations of his stats those are his exact stats since Horford went down. He's been piss poor since then. He's become VERY reckless with the ball and his shots aren't falling outside of the paint and he doesn't create easy looks for others.

• Premium Member

I think that playing Dennis big minutes right now signals to the vets on the team that we're throwing in the towel for this season and it's probably not the message that we want to send. I'm also not ready to give up on developing the young Shelvin Mack either as he's a quality player that could possibly net us another quality young player in a trade.

I say you play Dennis more. However, I don't think the flaw in Dennis is going away too soon. He's a hotdogger. He's more interested in flash than he is in winning. That's why his turnovers are up. He lacks on-court maturity. So he will be great for a highlight reel but he is not going to be a winner. Many of you are caught up in the flash of Dennis but you miss the flaw in Dennis...What he does disrupts team play. That's why he can't find minutes with Bud. Bud wants you to master the offense and run it. Bud doesn't want somebody who thinks he's bigger than the offense. Watch the next time Dennis plays and watch how Bud treats him. He has a short leash because Bud recognizes his flaw.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well since you brought it up. I just have to kindly point out that one of you said Dennis was already better than Teague. Like a lot of guys he seems more respected around the league than around here.

Dennis has instincts, court vision and on ball defense Teague will never have. Frankly if we had a "do over" button I would have let Teague walk to the Bucks and start Dennis and go full on tank mode. But that's neither here nor there.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Those aren't exaggerations of his stats those are his exact stats since Horford went down. He's been piss poor since then. He's become VERY reckless with the ball and his shots aren't falling outside of the paint and he doesn't create easy looks for others.

Ok. Well the last three games for Teague have been bad but really they've been bad for the whole damn team. That's a super small sample size to judge him on. Don't you think the loss of the most important player on the team is going to adversely affect him and the whole team. At least at first. Remove the last three games and Teague's stats aren't as astonishingly bad as you state. If he continues to play this way through January then I'll be with you.

You should be worried about a guy we still owe $32 million to and is our 3rd highest paid player. If he were on a rookie contract then I'd say yeah no need to worry but for a guy who's apparently hit his peak we should absolutely be worried. The Hawks would be a lot better off going with a PG who is more natural at the position than someone who's primary focus is getting to the basket.

His contract was huge. Unlike other who say signing him as a bargain I was upset. I would have been happy letting him to go MIL and signing a veteran until we found a true PG.

I don't understand Teague. It's like he's toying around with himself. He has the talent to drive to the basket on any point guard, he has the talent to knock down the 3 ball, but I'm not sure why he hesitates so often until the shot clock is about to expire.I also don't think he's the point guard of the future for us. He's super talented but he's not a Ferry/Bud Spurs type guy by any means.

He is so inconsistent. He's not the type of player you want to build around. The only reason he gets recognized now is b/c Al is out.

He's gotten a TON of bunny assists from Korver and Millsap and other guys behind the arc getting easy looks. Teague makes so few plays that set his teammates up for easy buckets it really amazes me. He truly has some of the worst point guard vision I've ever seen and now that he's unable to hit a mid-range or 3pt shot he's really becoming even less effective. His whole thing right now is getting to the basket for a layup or hope the defense rotates or that he is able to get a guy open from a pick n pop and since Al went down he hasn't been very successful.

Look at his stats since Al went out... 17 ppg, 6.5 apg, 4 topg, 42 fg%, 22 3pt% and we're 2-4 in that stretch. Those are just not going to get it done. If we're going to put up with 4 turnovers per game then he needs to be in the low to mid 20's in scoring and around 9 apg with better shooting percentages.

He has awful court vision. It is sad when he doesn't make passes that wow you at least once a week. The only PG who can get away with the assist/turnover ratio is Steph Curry. Time to start Mack and see if Dennis has learned anything from sitting on the bench for the past month. If anything, the past week has shown Teague is not a true PG and doesn't belong in this system. His defense is awful. Shaun Livingston ran all over him yesterday.

• Premium Member

Let's Be CLEAR Here:

Everybody says that Teague has disappeared. His stats since Horf was injured are the following:

19.7 ppg

7.7 apg

2.7 rpg

1.6 spg

45.7% FG% (on 16.6 shots per game)

28.6% 3pt% (on 4.0 shots per game)

Really???

Since Stephen Curry is #2 in apg (Teague #4) for the season and he is currently active (CP3 #1 but out).. I thought Curry would be a good person to look at the comparison with:

Curry:

23 ppg

9.6 apg

4.7 rpg

2.0 spg

44.5% FG (on 18 shots per game)

40.5% 3Pt (on 7.9 shots per game)

The next guy in the East is Wall... Let's compare his numbers:

Wall

19.7 ppg

8.8 apg

3.5 rpg

2.1 spg

42.4 FG (on 16.6 shots per game)

30.4 3pt (on 3.7 shots per game)

Now to me, it's laughable that you declare disappearing for Teague after Horf. When he's still putting up numbers comparable to the elite guards playing....

• Premium Member

For dolfan... The nimbers... ala basketball reference:

Rk G Date Age Tm Opp GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc 9 29 12/26/2013 25-199 ATL @ CLE W (+2) 1 48:44:00 14 24 0.583 1 4 0.25 5 7 0.714 0 3 3 14 3 0 6 3 34 28.5 30 30 12/28/2013 25-201 ATL CHA W (+2) 1 39:11:00 7 14 0.5 4 7 0.571 2 2 1 0 0 0 9 2 0 3 1 20 17.9 31 31 12/29/2013 25-202 ATL @ ORL L (-7) 1 34:13:00 9 17 0.529 2 4 0.5 2 2 1 0 3 3 8 2 1 3 3 22 18.7 32 32 12/31/2013 25-204 ATL @ BOS W (+1) 1 33:17:00 6 17 0.353 0 3 0 4 4 1 1 5 6 5 0 0 1 1 16 10.8 33 33 1/3/2014 25-207 ATL GSW L (-1) 1 30:57:00 5 13 0.385 0 2 0 4 5 0.8 0 3 3 7 2 0 5 4 14 7.7 34 34 1/4/2014 25-208 ATL @ CHI L (-7) 1 32:08:00 7 16 0.438 0 4 0 2 2 1 1 1 2 6 2 1 4 4 16 9.9 35 35 1/6/2014 25-210 ATL @ BRK L (-5) 1 35:04:00 5 15 0.333 1 4 0.25 5 7 0.714 0 2 2 5 0 1 7 3 16 3.3

Let's Be CLEAR Here:

Everybody says that Teague has disappeared. His stats since Horf was injured are the following:

19.7 ppg

7.7 apg

2.7 rpg

1.6 spg

45.7% FG% (on 16.6 shots per game)

28.6% 3pt% (on 4.0 shots per game)

Really???

Since Stephen Curry is #2 in apg (Teague #4) for the season and he is currently active (CP3 #1 but out).. I thought Curry would be a good person to look at the comparison with:

Curry:

23 ppg

9.6 apg

4.7 rpg

2.0 spg

44.5% FG (on 18 shots per game)

40.5% 3Pt (on 7.9 shots per game)

The next guy in the East is Wall... Let's compare his numbers:

Wall

19.7 ppg

8.8 apg

3.5 rpg

2.1 spg

42.4 FG (on 16.6 shots per game)

30.4 3pt (on 3.7 shots per game)

Now to me, it's laughable that you declare disappearing for Teague after Horf. When he's still putting up numbers comparable to the elite guards playing....

You are over-exaggerating your stats. They are not reliable. First off, you are including the CLE game, which Al played most of the game. Secondly, since you are including CLE, 2 of the games went into OT ( 2OT CLE and CHA). So Teague should have more assists when he plays more minutes.

Nonetheless, Teague is averaging 4.14 turnovers during those 7 games. So I dont see how a 1.75 assist to turnover ratio is good. In fact it is awful.

To continue the comparison to other PGs around the league, Teague has one of the worst AST/TO ratios this year. This guy does not fit the system. There is nothing more to say.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Diesel The same people have been dissing JT for years,idiots.

Teague is not going to be Curry (but who is) however, he's doing a good job of holding his own and I'm sure he's surpassing all the haters original thoughts of what he could do. Before the season, the outlook for Teague as a starter and his projected stats were dismal. Now that he's well passed that, he's disappearing if he's a point of two off of where he was? If he were perfect, he still wouldn't be good enough for some.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You are over-exaggerating your stats. They are not reliable. First off, you are including the CLE game, which Al played most of the game. Secondly, since you are including CLE, 2 of the games went into OT ( 2OT CLE and CHA). So Teague should have more assists when he plays more minutes.

Nonetheless, Teague is averaging 4.14 turnovers during those 7 games. So I dont see how a 1.75 assist to turnover ratio is good. In fact it is awful.

To continue the comparison to other PGs around the league, Teague has one of the worst AST/TO ratios this year. This guy does not fit the system. There is nothing more to say.

Ok.. I see. We have to take away the overtime games that Teague plays in.... and we count the overtime games for everybody else. yeah... That's a great way to do it?

Anyway. Did you ever consider that adding Antić and Scott and Ayón and Lou into the offense may have something to do with an increase in turnovers? I mean, I know that these guys practice and all but don't you think having these guys come in having not played high minutes would have some type of effect on the overall chemistry?

I guess not... I mean, we're not even counting overtime periods anymore... how dare we talk about chemistry?

I overexaggerated the stats.... by presenting them????

WOW!!

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 2

Serious question here. What does making a "wow" pass have to do with anything. Dennis can make "wow" passes but cant beat out Mack for the back up job.

Jeff has struggled recently but so has the whole team. Should we trade Kyle since he has struggled from the field, behind the arc, and defensively?

Should Millsap be traded since he has been struggling with his shot and turnovers lately too?

If we are getting rid of guys who have struggled recently then the whole team should be traded.

I hope everyone gets back on track because honestly this whole team has been bad the past few games. Not just Jeff but the whole team.

And DF should be catching a lot more heat for the lack of talent this team has. We had a bunch of money to spend in the summer and this team is even less talented than the one last year

• Like 2

Ok.. I see. We have to take away the overtime games that Teague plays in.... and we count the overtime games for everybody else. yeah... That's a great way to do it?

Anyway. Did you ever consider that adding Antić and Scott and Ayón and Lou into the offense may have something to do with an increase in turnovers? I mean, I know that these guys practice and all but don't you think having these guys come in having not played high minutes would have some type of effect on the overall chemistry?

I guess not... I mean, we're not even counting overtime periods anymore... how dare we talk about chemistry?

I overexaggerated the stats.... by presenting them????

WOW!!

You don't need to take away stats. You just need to consider, that if a player plays an extra period (quarter) then his stats should increase. Obviously loosing a big man impacted him. His assists should lower. Not turnovers increase.

• Premium Member

Frank... I had to give your argument about assists a good look.

I was surprised to find out that we lead the league in Assists per game. Even better than San Antonio who were second in the league in Assists. However, as you stated, we have a problem with Assist/TO... where we go from #1 in assists to #6 in Assists/TO... Damn that Jeff Teague. It's his fault that we're only better than 24 other teams in Assist/TO.

But Seriously, Teague is only at 2.3 A/TO. I mean, he's second on the team to Mack who is at an impressive 3.5 A/TO. I wonder why Mack's not starting? Don't Bud know that Mack is better? I mean, coming out of college, Teague was a 1.0 A/TO guy. I'm proud that he has improved it... I'm really proud that in his first year in a new offense, he's holding down about 8 apg. However, his A/TO is such a black eye that we ought to just get rid of him. BUT then I look at Tony Parker's numbers. Same offense. He's got a 2.7 A/TO. In the same offense, he's scoring 17.2 ppg and 6.7 apg. In the same offense, he's 1.8 apg behind Teague and Teague is in his first year. That makes me say... F _ That Frank.... Teague is a keeper.