• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge: Scouts love the Hawks' player development under Ferry

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Scouts have disclosed to David Aldridge that they marvel at the player development under Hawks GM Danny Ferry and head coach Mike Budenholzer.

I am awake? Am I reading about actual goodness regarding the upper levels of the Atlanta Hawks?

What?

First of all, full disclosure, I really like David Aldridge. I've never really met him in person (he chatted with me when I was a season-ticket holder in 2001ish), but he does a real good job keeping the balance of keeping-it-real and not being over the top obnoxious in his NBA reporting.

If you are not reading his weekly column, the Morning Tip, it's a nice column/what's up snapshot of David's take on the league.

I always read it, looking for some encouragement about the Good Guys who play their home games at the Highlight Factory and today's entry was a double-dose of that encouragement:

Aldridge in his weekly ranks:

10) Atlanta [10] (2-2): Kyle Korver just keeps going and going. His 3-point streak really is something to be admired.

That's nice -- You can read Throw's Weekly Power Rankings report and maybe not find the ATL as high as this in a lot of rankings. DA has never been afraid of throwing the good vibes toward the Hawks.

Then I read down the column a bit to where Aldridge shares what he's feeling/not feeling and found this as the first entry.

1) The Hawks continue to amaze without Al Horford. Jeff Teague is playing the best basketball of his career, and scouts who watch the Hawks marvel at their player development under Danny Ferry and Mike Budenholzer.

Viva la competence! It's been, well, never since I ever heard anyone compliment our player development. When Danny took over, folks told me there was a lot of changin' going on -- no doubt if this is the feedback we're getting.

Looking at the full comment, I know it looks like Jeff Teague is playing the best ball of his career, but is he really?

His advanced stats tell a different story. Yes, his assist rate is up and his turnover rate is static, and his free throw rate is up, but it's not necessarily translating to more efficiency. The eye test says he's being more aggressive, but his shot has been a little faulty, and that's what likely bringing some of his numbers down.

Also, it's an interesting observation considering the Hawks last three #1 picks (John Jenkins, Dennis Schröder, Lucas Nogueira) have not paid positive dividends this season.

Again, the eye test says, "Man this team looks like it's playing faster and better offensively!" The stats say that while the team is better offensively, according to basketball-reference.com, 15th to 18th last season, the Hawks are the same on defense and are playing at a faster pace this season, though slower relative to the rest of the league. (94.7 vs. 92.6 last year -- 15th this year compared to 12th last season.)

Is it just that scouts see Danny Ferry, Mike Budenholzer and the Spurs way and start feeling rainbows, ice cream and puppy dog warm fuzzies or is there something real to what the NBA peeps are telling David Aldridge?

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/1/13/5304904/atlanta-hawks-david-aldridge-tnt-danny-ferry-scouts

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I can't explain it either, but it looks like the the Hawks are finally getting the best out of their players. The team was on a tear until Horf got hurt. I thought the season was pretty much over, but the Hawks bounced back and still look like a Playoff team. The Hawks players seem to have wholeheartedly bought into Bud's system and it has been successful for the most part. Of course the East is terrible this season, but the Hawks have some quality wins under their belt. I'm still a little confused about what happened to Cartier Martin, but I have littlle problem with most of the other decisions made during the course of the season. I'm not sure the team is better defensively or is playing at a faster pace than previous seasons, but they do seem to execute better and make less mistakes. The Hawks just seem to be better coached this season.

• Like 3

I think it is just as simple as the current scheme/style is more appeasing to the eye. We got results with Woody/Drew ball, but scouts and b-ball purest hated that style. Look at what they say about the Knicks style of play now that Woody is there. I think there we just look more competent. To a degree we are more competent and organized on the court, but I don't know how much of that is the subtraction of Josh and how much is just plain old good coaching.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think it is just as simple as the current scheme/style is more appeasing to the eye. We got results with Woody/Drew ball, but scouts and b-ball purest hated that style. Look at what they say about the Knicks style of play now that Woody is there. I think there we just look more competent. To a degree we are more competent and organized on the court, but I don't know how much of that is the subtraction of Josh and how much is just plain old good coaching.

I hear that. But there does seem to be more effort and more cohesion. I may go look up but seems like the previous teams would get blown out about every two weeks. We've had very few losses by more than 10 points this season and i've yet to feel embarrassed by the Hawks effort in big games which was norm previously.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think it's mostly coaching. I had a hard time watching the Knicks play the other night. It was mostly iso and bad shots, pretty much how the Hawks used to play under Woody. I understand now why scouts and basketball commentators hated that style of play. Drew was an improvement over Woody but Bud is a quantum leap over both in terms of coaching. I highly doubt Woody or Drew would have the hawks playing this well with relatively lesser level of talent the Hawks have now. But Bud is proving to me that the individual talent doesn't matter as much when the players are being coached well.

• Moderators

If i'm reading this right (which is probably unlikely) the Hawks are 9-3 in games decided by 10 points or more. So we've only had 3 losses this season by 10 points or more. The only other teams with that few are Miami, OKC, and PHX. That's pretty solid.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Mrg_Div.html

• Like 1

I agree with both of you. But, I will add this team was built to be a smart/energetic basketball team. How many of those previous teams had "me" guys and dumb offensive players? I'm a Bud fan, but could he have coached this way with JJ and Smoove as the emotional and stylistic leaders? I think he probably passes on the job lol.

• Moderators

I agree with both of you. But, I will add this team was built to be a smart/energetic basketball team. How many of those previous teams had "me" guys and dumb offensive players? I'm a Bud fan, but could he have coached this way with JJ and Smoove as the emotional and stylistic leaders? I think he probably passes on the job lol.

Very true. But as a boss isn't that really the key to being a good leader. Firing those who aren't team players. Not that easy to do in the NBA of course but its really the secret to success.

• Premium Member

I honestly think Bud could have gotten the best out of JJ, Smoove, and even Marvin. They came up in Woody's system which encouraged and reinforced bad habits as long as the shots were falling. The NY Knicks are evidence of that. Bud brings structure and the players seem to be in better position to score. The Hawks actually look like they know what they're doing out there now.

JJ yes... But Josh Smith? Questionable.

I dont believe he would.

J-brick is uncoachable and does whatever he wants whenever he wants and JJ doesnt fit into bud's system at all. He is a 1 on 1 iso player that has to dominate the basketball. In Brooklyn when they took the ball out of his hands he struggled big time.

Why is it that Smith could never have hypothetically reached his potential with Bud. As bone-headed as he is he wasn't a major cancer on the team, he just never was able to put it all together.

Cause throughout his career he never showed he had any desire to play up to his potential. He never individually made any changes to his game that showed he was trying to put it all together. You can't teach/coach desire. The player either has it or not.

He was cancerous to the offense with all of his mental mistakes and selfish chucking. He had NEGATIVE offensive win shares last year. Last season whenever he was out the team played better and much smarter offensively. That sounds cancerous to me.

Cause throughout his career he never showed he had any desire to play up to his potential. He never individually made any changes to his game that showed he was trying to put it all together. You can't teach/coach desire. The player either has it or not. He was cancerous to the offense with all of his mental mistakes and selfish chucking. He had NEGATIVE offensive win shares last year. Last season whenever he was out the team played better and much smarter offensively. That sounds cancerous to me.

I'm not saying that Smith could necessarily be changed now, but if we're talking about Bud coaching him from when he was rookie, I think it would have made a huge difference in the player he turned out to be.
  • Like 1

I'm not saying that Smith could necessarily be changed now, but if we're talking about Bud coaching him from when he was rookie, I think it would have made a huge difference in the player he turned out to be.

oh if we are talking about rookie josh then yea I agree he would be a different player.

oh if we are talking about rookie josh then yea I agree he would be a different player.

Agreed - Bud would have benched Josh ala Dennis if he was jacking up 3's.Was Josh shoring 3's his rookie season?Bud strength is having a defined role for everyone

Agreed - Bud would have benched Josh ala Dennis if he was jacking up 3's.Was Josh shoring 3's his rookie season?Bud strength is having a defined role for everyone

I think Bud would make a rookie Josh realize that if he doesnt get his act together and play the right way he would find himself out of the league or be a career journey man. I think realizing that would be one of the few things that could of saved Josh from turning to what he is today.