Hawks - Pacers : the rematch

macdaddy

• Moderators

I think the Heat wanted to avoid being in the same bracket with the Nets and Bulls.

That's probably true but hey we can take it however we want. The heat were 4-0 against Charlotte and 2-2 against us. It was a pretty crappy year in the East but the playoffs should be interesting. The only two teams considered 'contenders' are limping into the playoffs but of course they play differently when it matters. Still, I like our chances of an upset as well as about any year recently.

I'm kinda bummed we're not playing the Heat. If we're not going to get a lottery pick and are instead going to go into the playoffs with a losing record, then dammit I want whatever playoff wins we get to really scare the poop out of somebody. I would LOVE taking it to the defending champs, and as macdaddy pointed out having a couple of wins against them this year gives me confidence we could get at least a couple more.

Having said all that...

The Pacers should be shook right now. Roy Hibbert played something like only 21 minutes per game this season when the Pacers played the Hawks. Why? Because he can't keep up with us. They're in trouble.

Hibbert has historically struggled against us since coming into the NBA - not sure why that is but I'm good with it.

We go as Teague goes - if he's penetrating and finishing or finding open shooters we have a chance.

• Moderators

I'm picking the Pacers to win this series, but I do think the Hawks will make them really work for it. I'm curious to see how Pero will fare in the playoff environment.

I'm just guessing he's been in more pressure packed environments so i have high hopes. Still i think he's hurting so not sure if his shot will be on. I expect us to count on Brand for a LOT of defense in this series.

I'm just guessing he's been in more pressure packed environments so i have high hopes. Still i think he's hurting so not sure if his shot will be on. I expect us to count on Brand for a LOT of defense in this series.

Agreed - Pero is still hurting and that's a concern.

At least there are no back to back games.

Korver has historically struggled in playoffs when defenses tighten - he is going to have to work even harder at getting open. I hope Bud is devising some schemes to free up Korver even more or create some passing angles when teams double and triple him coming off screens.

lol in all honesty if this hawks team plays anything like the last 6-8 games and I may be crazy but I think the hawks can push the pacers to a game 7 but lose by very few points.

Here are my reasons:

-pacers aren't the heat. Their offense is pathetic and won't drop 100 on us every game unless some amazing out of no where player gets 15 free throws a game like Paul George did last playoffs against us.

-the hawks defense has taken it up a notch in a huge way. DMC is playing very physical along with Brand and even young Jeffery is trying harder.

-last you all know Teague carries this team. If he lights it up and this hawks team get pumped up the pacers will be in trouble!

I give the pacers defense all the credit in the world but you still have to put the ball in the bucket. This hawks team unlike other hawk past hawk teams can step it up and actually fight to finishing line. I think we are going to see absolute blood, sweat, and tears!

The hawks aren't scared of this pacers team! No offense but scoring teams are more threatening.

Our defense has definitely tightened of late. I'm also scared of Kyle struggling, they're gonna stay air tight on him off the ball. If Pero hits his threes early, the floor is gonna open up for Sap to bully West, Teague abusing Watson off the dribble (Hill not so much), backdoor cuts for DMC, and a little of everything from Mike Scott.

I like listening to Sam Mitchell after games. He detailed what the coaches and players are doing once they learned who their matchup was with all the emailing of game film and tendencies. I think this is where Bud has a considerable advantage in experience and preparation.

PG is gonna get his, nothing outlandish though. He doesn't shoot consitently enough to have a monster game against Junkyard. I'd much rather shut off Lance's facilitation. We can win with him getting 20 points, we cant win with him getting 10 assists and getting others involved. We limit their open threes, keep Hibbert off the floor whether Pero stretching him out or in foul trouble, and we're good. Lou might be an x-factor along with the punk azz refs. Dennis fans, prepare to see him cheering all game. I love the kid, but we can't afford a single one of his turnovers. Shelvin's gonna have to be sharp, too. Elton will tie up all our losse ends.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Our defense has definitely tightened of late. I'm also scared of Kyle struggling, they're gonna stay air tight on him off the ball. If Pero hits his threes early, the floor is gonna open up for Sap to bully West, Teague abusing Watson off the dribble (Hill not so much), backdoor cuts for DMC, and a little of everything from Mike Scott.

I like listening to Sam Mitchell after games. He detailed what the coaches and players are doing once they learned who their matchup was with all the emailing of game film and tendencies. I think this is where Bud has a considerable advantage in experience and preparation.

PG is gonna get his, nothing outlandish though. He doesn't shoot consitently enough to have a monster game against Junkyard. I'd much rather shut off Lance's facilitation. We can win with him getting 20 points, we cant win with him getting 10 assists and getting others involved. We limit their open threes, keep Hibbert off the floor whether Pero stretching him out or in foul trouble, and we're good. Lou might be an x-factor along with the punk azz refs. Dennis fans, prepare to see him cheering all game. I love the kid, but we can't afford a single one of his turnovers. Shelvin's gonna have to be sharp, too. Elton will tie up all our losse ends.

Agreed. However I think Teague can destroy the overrated George

Agreed. However I think Teague can destroy the overrated George hill and Watson won't stand a chance either as long as Teague remains aggressive.

Gotta remember when this kid (Teague) is aggressive we are literally talking about a complete different person! I honestly think the pacers will eventually switch lance Stephenson on Teague.

Agreed. However I think Teague can destroy the overrated George hill and Watson won't stand a chance either as long as Teague remains aggressive.

Gotta remember when this kid (Teague) is aggressive we are literally talking about a complete different person! I honestly think the pacers will eventually switch lance Stephenson on Teague.

Watson will be facing Mack. Good matchup, fairly even there.

Watson will be facing Mack. Good matchup, fairly even there.

Is it me or has Mack taken a slight step back since Teagues latest break out games?

Just seems like he was better when Teague was playing worse..but maybe not. I hardly notice him anymore.

• Moderators

Is it me or has Mack taken a slight step back since Teagues latest break out games?

Just seems like he was better when Teague was playing worse..but maybe not. I hardly notice him anymore.

Actually it seemed like a month ago he had totally disappeared and was playing like crap. I've seen Mack look more like his old self the last couple weeks but still a far cry from the excellent play earlier in the season. I'll check his stats and see...

• Moderators

Just seems like he was better when Teague was playing worse..but maybe not. I hardly notice him anymore

Just glancing his overall stats are pretty consistent but it's his shooting that is down. Particularly his 3 point shooting has dropped really low the last 3 months. Still seems like he had a really bad stretch but hopefully they are all peaking at the right time.