• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DMCthealltimegreat.

Diesel

• Premium Member

We talk alot about the need for a SF. Well, let's talk about the Sf we have. DMC or Junk Yard Dog or whatever you want to call him. My feeling about this guy is that he is our best man on defender. I have watched him frustrate Lebron and George and anybody else we put him on defensively. He actually gives us the ability to slow down wings and Swingmen who normally can get lose for 40. Of course we need a better overall defensive presence (lane managing, rim protector) for him to be a defensive stopper, however, he does very well in our team defense.

Offensively, people complain about DMC, but the truth is that if left alone outside he can hit a three ball. For the season he shot 36% from three and 55% from 2... and we're not really a fast breaking team. In the playoffs he raised his three point game to 41% and his FG% dropped to 51%. Again, we're not a fast breaking team. The problem is in the playoffs, he would play 35 mpg and would put up 7 shots per game. During the season, he'd play about 32 mpg and put up 9 shots per... What that says is that he takes shots that he can hit. Wide open shots.

The question is... can DMC gain enough confidence in his midrange and outside shooting to become a factor on the offensive side of the board? I would like to see him put up about 10 fgs per game if he plays 30 mpg. That would put him in Kawhi Leonard territory. IN fact, % wise, his FG% and 3pt% are very close to Leonard's already. And we can keep the good defense.

• Like 2

I don't know about the rest of you, but from here on out, I'm calling him the African American Kyle Korver. With the way he talked about improving his game this offseason, I'm fine with him starting next season.

If we could get a starting shooting guard via free agency or trade (Stephenson and Afflalo are my top two targets) and draft either McDaniels or Young, I'd be satisfied with this offseason.

• Like 2

I agree I don't really think the SF is the problem it's the SG position! However I don't see the big deal in moving DMC or whatever athletic SG we hope to pickup to SG or SF.

Say we get Rudy Gay for example. I would start Rudy at SG or at SF or I would start DMC at SG or at SF don't matter there aren't that many speedy quick SGs to worry about and if they can truly defend on the perimeter there shouldn't be any worries.

Last say we play the heat, with this lineup...I would use a bit of a zen master strategy and have Rudy gay whose the better offensive player between him and DMC always guard the lesser offensive talent against teams. In this case that would be wade not as good as lebron on the offense end :

Pg-Teague

Sg-Rudy Gay

Sf-DMC

Pf-Sap

C-Horford

Then maybe say we play the nets....using the same lineup I would simply switch DMC to guard joe Johnson who's offensively better than Paul pierce at this stage in their careers and gay would be on pierce this game:

Pg-Teague

Sg-DMC

Sf-Rudy Gay

Pf-Sap

C-horford

Was just using Rudy gay as an example to let those of you know that we can get a SF and put him at SG too. As long as he can handle the ball we should be ok. Nothing changes on the offense end with coach bud no matter the players. Defensively we will see changes based on player matchup.

Edited by JTB

I personally wouldn't change anything about Junk's role. What leads you to say we aren't a fast breaking team, D? Youre as big a Teague fan as anyone, he pushes almost as much as he should when able. And how many threes did Kyle hit in transition this year? 150? I don't know the stats off hand, but I'm sure we're Top 7 or 8 in fast break points, and DeMarre finishes a good bit of them. He's the glue to the squad, don't wanna change the ingredients. He's Gorilla Glue now, I don't want more on his plate and water him down to Elmer's. His role is perfect: run hard, take open shots, and do his best Tony Alllen impression.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but from here on out, I'm calling him the African American Kyle Korver. With the way he talked about improving his game this offseason, I'm fine with him starting next season.

If we could get a starting shooting guard via free agency or trade (Stephenson and Afflalo are my top two targets) and draft either McDaniels or Young, I'd be satisfied with this offseason.

I don't think that Orlando is just going to hand over Afflalo. I would love him, but I believe he will cost us more than we're willing to give.

Otherwise, I would easily take Afflalo and a draft of Saric, Stauskas, Robinson III, Hood, or Warren and be happy with the offseason.

I don't think that Orlando is just going to hand over Afflalo. I would love him, but I believe he will cost us more than we're willing to give.

Otherwise, I would easily take Afflalo and a draft of Saric, Stauskas, Robinson III, Hood, or Warren and be happy with the offseason.

I posted this hypothetical team in another thread:

Teague/Mack/Schröder

Stephenson/Korver/Draft Pick

Carroll/Barnes/Martin

Millsap/Scott/Muscala

Horford/Antić/Bebe

That roster is doable given our cap space and will allow us to play our starters less during the regular season, which I think is a main feature of what the Spurs do today.

All it would take is a trade of Lou and Jenkins for Barnes which I think Golden State would accept.

• Like 1

Teague/Mack/Schröder

Carroll/Barnes/Martin

Millsap/Scott/Muscala

Horford/Antić/Bebe

That roster is doable given our cap space and will allow us to play our starters less during the regular season, which I think is a main feature of what the Spurs do today.

All it would take is a trade of Lou and Jenkins for Barnes which I think Golden State would accept.

Im for this but it's hard to see lance, Rudy gay, or Arron afflalo coming here.

• Premium Member

I personally wouldn't change anything about Junk's role. What leads you to say we aren't a fast breaking team, D? Youre as big a Teague fan as anyone, he pushes almost as much as he should when able. And how many threes did Kyle hit in transition this year? 150? I don't know the stats off hand, but I'm sure we're Top 7 or 8 in fast break points, and DeMarre finishes a good bit of them. He's the glue to the squad, don't wanna change the ingredients. He's Gorilla Glue now, I don't want more on his plate and water him down to Elmer's. His role is perfect: run hard, take open shots, and do his best Tony Alllen impression.

What makes us not a fast break team is not speed. We have the speed to be it, it's design. When you watch a true fast break team, they have a big who can get the rebound and throw an outlet pass... with Wings who run their lane and allow the PG or OG ministrate. However, what we have is a team rebounding that keeps everybody back to secure the rebound and we fast break only when we have good opportunity. With the team rebounding aspect, we will never be a full time fast break team... and I'm cool with that as long as we play solidly on offense. However, if our game plan is just to come down and jack up threes to spread the floor, then, I'm not with it.

• Premium Member

Teague/Mack/Schröder

Carroll/Barnes/Martin

Millsap/Scott/Muscala

Horford/Antić/Bebe

What you will find is that Stephenson is not worth the money AND he is a head case. That dude is trouble. People see Stephen Jackson, however, Stephen Jackson was not as tempermental as Stephenson. This guy alone can be a lockerroom and on the floor problem. I would steer clear of him.

What makes us not a fast break team is not speed. We have the speed to be it, it's design. When you watch a true fast break team, they have a big who can get the rebound and throw an outlet pass... with Wings who run their lane and allow the PG or OG ministrate. However, what we have is a team rebounding that keeps everybody back to secure the rebound and we fast break only when we have good opportunity. With the team rebounding aspect, we will never be a full time fast break team... and I'm cool with that as long as we play solidly on offense. However, if our game plan is just to come down and jack up threes to spread the floor, then, I'm not with it.

Remember, the only reason why we were jacking up threes at that rate was because Horford was missing.

• Premium Member

Remember, the only reason why we were jacking up threes at that rate was because Horford was missing.

Yeah. I think that with a big in the middle and Horf as the 4, we could become a very good halfcourt team. One that is efficient. That is what we all want. We keep talking down about DMC but the truth is he is 2 fg per game away from being just like Khiwha Leonard. I say we give him those two shots and we beef up our low post play.

What you will find is that Stephenson is not worth the money AND he is a head case. That dude is trouble. People see Stephen Jackson, however, Stephen Jackson was not as tempermental as Stephenson. This guy alone can be a lockerroom and on the floor problem. I would steer clear of him.

You're right about him being a head case, but he's the only starting SG I like this free agency. He'd probably come cheaper after all the drama this playoff series and getting him away from the Pacers may mellow him out. He's not ideal, but he's the best SG available.

I believe most have expressed the need for a WING be it SG or SF. If the player acquired happens to be superior to Demarre then so be it, I'll feel more confident with a player of his caliber coming off the bench than whatever string of DLeaguers and 10 day contractors we had last season.

• Premium Member

You're right about him being a head case, but he's the only starting SG I like this free agency. He'd probably come cheaper after all the drama this playoff series and getting him away from the Pacers may mellow him out. He's not ideal, but he's the best SG available.

Typically, that doesn't happen, Rodman.. I mean Rider. I mean Mills. Stephenson. I think that Indy has gotten him to buy into championship team long enough to keep him stabilize. However, I don't think that he is anywhere near ready to be on a team with no strong voices. We don't have West here. We don't have Larry Legend in the front office. I believe Ferry is smart enough to know to stay away from broken toys.

• Premium Member

I believe most have expressed the need for a WING be it SG or SF. If the player acquired happens to be superior to Demarre then so be it, I'll feel more confident with a player of his caliber coming off the bench than whatever string of DLeaguers and 10 day contractors we had last season.

The point is that DMC wasn't bad. He wasn't a d-Leaguer. He actually makes us better. I would love a slasher or somebody who was more confident in scoring but I don't think we need to go out and spend a lot of money on a Sf.

• Like 1

If you can get a better player on the wings you simply do it. DMC was productive but let's not pretend as if there's no areas to look at upgrades. You can't create threads talking about "inertia" being a problem for this team and then go ahead and contradict yourself by saying the SF position is just fine and dandy. The wing positions went 1 deep with DMC and Kyle starting, you simply cannot ignore that we need better depth behind them or pushing them to the bench.

• Like 2

If we can get a better SF you do it - DMC can move to SG or be a back up. If we get a better SG then Kk can come off the bench.

We just need more athleticism on the WING - SG OR SF.

Everyone talks about defensive rebounding on this board then some compare DMC to Leonard. DMC 4.1 D RPG. Leonard 5.1 D RPG. And Carroll got 32.1 MPG vs Leonards 29.1 MPG. Its the little things that count; and just one more board a game at SF and SG would put us in the top ten in defensive rebounding with a healthy Horford.

Carroll is serviceable as a starter, but we better make a huge leap in defensive rebounding at the SG position if he is to continue to be our starter. If we don't, we will be posting 20 threads again next season bashing our rebounding weakness.

Edited by Buzzard

If we can get a better SF you do it - DMC can move to SG or be a back up. If we get a better SG then Kk can come off the bench.

We just need more athleticism on the WING - SG OR SF.

PERIOD....there's nothing else to argue about.