• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Roster Reload: Atlanta Hawks

Reggie2555

David Liam Kyle/NBAE/Getty ImagesAtlanta will continue to build around Al Horford, who missed most of the season with a torn pectoral.

Roster Reloads: Charlotte Bobcats | Chicago Bulls |Houston Rockets

Given how Atlanta played this season when it had at least a couple of healthy, NBA-caliber big men, it should have been no great surprise that they pushed an Indiana team that was not exactly peaking entering the postseason. Lots of times, when you have a playoff series upset -- or near upset, as in this case -- the shock wears off with the benefit of hindsight, because the upstart in the matchup turns out to be a really good outfit that just happened to catch their stride at the most important time of the year.

There might be some of that going on in Atlanta. First-year coach Mike Budenholzer has established an efficient, fun style of play, and general managerDanny Ferry has lots of leeway to take his evolving roster in any number of exciting possible directions.

: 48.8 wins

(from Bradford Doolittle's ATH system)

I. Main assets (personnel)

Al Horford remains possibly the most underrated player in the league, and while two of his past three seasons have been decimated by injury, his more-than-reasonable salary of $12 million per year combined with his relatively young age (he's just 27) make him an ideal cornerstone for the franchise. The silver lining to Horford's absence has been the growth of Paul Millsap, who raised his game to All-Star heights, fully unleashing a vast repertoire of offensive game that would have seemed far-fetched a few years ago as a backup power forward in Utah.

Mike Zarrilli/Getty ImagesKyle Korver proved his worth this season and should be a cornerstone in Atlanta.

Meanwhile, Kyle Korver justified the $24 million investment the Hawks made in him last summer, solidifying his status as the game's great shooter with a lot of "gravity" (stretching defenses) -- and, in fact, a late-season, six-game absence almost torpedoed the Hawks' playoff hopes. Jeff Teague was serviceable and stepped his game up a notch in the playoffs against the Pacers.

The Hawks were 30-16 when Korver, Teague,DeMarre Carroll and Millsap were in the starting lineup along with one of the Atlanta's top three big men: Horford, Pero Anticor Elton Brand. That's a pace of 53 wins over a full season. Danny Ferry has his top six players locked up for next season, all on team-friendly deals -- assuming Horford returns to full health from his torn pectoral. While Atlanta finished 16th and 15th in offensive and defensive efficiency, respectively, the Hawks ranked 10th on offense and 13th on defense through Dec. 26, the date Horford played his last game. That serves as a good baseline for this club moving forward, as Korver is the only starter beyond his athletic prime, but his skill-based game should hold up fine for the next few years.

The Hawks had terrific chemistry, which is a testament to Ferry's team-building strategies. And while you want to be careful how you shake that up, the fact of the matter is without another top-flight talent, the Hawks probably can't be more than a second-tier team. Ferry realizes this of course, and that's why Atlanta has the flexibility to make a significant acquisition when the opportunity presents itself.

II. Shake it up

Atlanta has positioned itself to have considerable cap flexibility while still having its core under contract. While this encourages fantasies of acquiring high-priced free agents (a max offer sheet for Eric Bledsoe, for example), a more likely scenario would have the Hawks continue to accumulate assets by being able to absorb short-term toxic salaries in exchange for draft pick considerations.

In this manner, Atlanta can add supporting cast members who might not be worth their paychecks but can still contribute, while bringing with them valuable future first-rounders. In terms of tradeable assets, the rights to 2013-draftee Lucas Nogueira had been rumored to be in play around the trade deadline and might be the type of deal sweetener to help grease a deal.

Mike Stobe/Getty ImagesThe Hawks drafted Nogueira, who could prove valuable long term or as a trade asset.

The Hawks have the highest non-lottery pick in June at No. 15, as well as the aforementioned Nogueira stashed overseas. Nogueira is a head-turning, 7-foot athlete, and has a chance to be a high-energy, impact defender of the rim. He'd boost a defense that ranked 28th in block rate in 2013-14 and would have the luxury of developing in a niche role behind Millsap and Horford, while playing alongside Antić on the second unit.

As for a splashier move, how about a trade? The Rockets might have to part ways with an allegedly disgruntled Omer Asik and at the same time, they must figure out what to do aboutChandler Parsons' team option. If they exercise it, he can become an unrestricted free agent next season, and unless Houston decides he's the third foundation player to go withJames Harden and Dwight Howard, there might not be money to keep him. If they don't pick up the option, Parsons becomes a restricted free agent this summer, and he's a guy the market is really going to like.

Daryl Morey can address both issues by allowing Parsons to become an RFA, then ship him with Asik in a sign-and-trade scenario to Atlanta for Millsap and Carroll. Millsap becomes a high-level third wheel for Houston, while Carroll is remarkably similar to Parsons, albeit with a lower ceiling, and better defense. Asik upgrades the Hawks' defense and pushes Horford to power forward, while Parsons is an upgrade over Carroll. An Asik, Teague, Korver, Parsons and Horford lineup offers a similar dynamic to what Gregg Popovich has in San Antonio.

III. Obstacles to success

Despite being a popular destination on NBA road trips, Atlanta remains exactly that: a nice place to visit. The Hawks have traditionally struggled to attract the type of transcendent free agents who can change the fortunes of a franchise. In fact, in the past 25 years the Hawks have successfully signed just three big-name free agents: Dikembe Mutombo in 1996, Joe Johnson in 2005, and Millsap in 2013. And you can make the argument that all three players arrived in Atlanta with smaller reputations than the ones they built there.

Resigning yourself to a strategy of unearthing diamonds in the rough and accumulating assets in the hopes of completing a blockbuster deal someday can place a strain on a front office that can be unfairly judged as incapable of securing a superstar.

Ferry really has the Hawks in a great place. The big hurdle to my proposed makeover is simple: Morey might not want to do it, especially because Parsons is so well embedded in Houston's team culture.

IV. The "Ideal" Roster:

The "Ideal" Roster

PLAYER2015WARPCOmer Asik29$8.4m1.8PGJeff Teague27$8.0m4.6SGKyle Korver34$6.3m4.4SFChandler Parsons27$9.0m5.7PFAl Horford30$12.0m8.1bCPero Antic33$1.3m1.4bPGShelvin Mack25$3.0m0.7bSGLouis Williams29$5.5m3.7bSFMike Scott27$3.0m0.9bPFLucas Nogueira21$1.5m-0.3RES1Dennis Schroder23$1.7m-0.9RES2James Young20$1.5m0.1 $62.2 million; 41 to 45

Est. Payroll includes built-in minimum salary slots beyond top 12 on roster; Updated Win Baseline includes a coaching adjustment.Bold=new player

• Like 1

Made me wonder if he visits HS.

Good article that makes sense. Nothing that hasn't been said here.

That's straight from the squawk - we've discussed that Houston deal since the start of the season - lol.

Max offer sheet to Eric Bledsoe? Wtf??? I have no idea who these writers are but they should stick to their day jobs!

I could get behind that new lineup as I think Parsons can take that next step with more opportunity. Would hate to lose DMC but this makes us a better sized and more balanced team.

Max offer sheet to Eric Bledsoe? Wtf??? I have no idea who these writers are but they should stick to their day jobs!

I could get behind that new lineup as I think Parsons can take that next step with more opportunity. Would hate to lose DMC but this makes us a better sized and more balanced team.

Handing out Max deals like candy - they'll never learn, smh!

Does he (actual question)? Haven't watched him much but he looked ordinary in the playoffs from what little I saw. That and he was one of the capri-pant wearing dudes which is a little douchy if you're not really a star. Well, it's douchy as is but more-so if you're not a star.

I remember watching him as a rookie and thought he was really good.

If he'd cited "multiple sources" I'd say it was a lock he pulled his info from here.

Parsons is like DMC in that he's a fan favorite and a hard worker.. He's kind of the pretty boy type off the court but he busts his butt. I'd say no different than Korver.

• Like 1

Nice read. I'd feel much more confident about Parson's if he showed me one more year. I would only like Asik on a very good deal.

??? Parsons had the exact same stats in '12-13 as he did in '13-'14 but had a slightly higher FG% in '12-'13.

This makes me nervous! I don't know about this parsons/asik for DMC/milsap....sap is the best player in the trade by far!

Parsons for DMC....fair trade! Parsons is a way better shooter though DMC stepped up his shooting and DMC is a better defender though parson isn't a bad defender at all, DMC is still better....all in all fair trade, in fact parsons I think is younger.

The problem is asik for sap...I don't like it! Asik will never be an all star! Sign hawes and bring over bebe or hell sign whatever free agency big you want and bring over bebe...just don't trade sap.

I understand it's been talked about but I feel ferry would have pulled the trigger on this deal by now if he wanted it...sooner or later ferry is going to take a huge risk on something I think and maybe this deal will be it.

If we can atleast get a slashing wing man who can score between 14-18 points before we pull off such a trade like this.

I would be very comfortable doing the trade. Right now saps scoring is still a need! Parsons is an athletic Korver who will drop 12-14 points and asik ain't giving you shit on offense.

Just for arguments sake, what about Horford instead of Milsap? Of course their offer would have to be increased, as well as take Lous contract from us. Could allow us to go after someone like Stephenson in FA. In this scenario I'd use Schröder and an added piece from the Houston deal to acquire number 8. Hopefully keeping 15 as well.

Teague/mack/smart

Stephenson/smart/Korver

Parsons/Korver/Scott

Milsap/Hill/Musc

Omar/Hill/Nogs

Is that team better in the short term? I'd say it is long term, because I expect good things from smart, as well as parsons and teague continuing to mature.

If anything we will be better at rebounding lol

Edit: forgot to add someone like Young, Lavine,or Hood at 15

Edited by Afro

I love DMC but he can't do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl6l33a9oDQ

I like him better than Lance as a "potential star guy"

He is more billed as a ceiling of Pippen with worse D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl6l33a9oDQ

Pippen comparison is kinda crazy but I do like Parsons a lot. He's got a Korver like shooting ability but much more athletic and bigger. He's certainly a lot better at getting his shot than either of our starting wings. It's very important in our offense to be able to come off of a pick cleanly and either get your shot or creating a passing lane and Parsons excels at both.

This is the kind of gem we need to find in the draft. Perhaps Mike Scott can get to that level of a gem at some point.

• Like 1