• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The time is now...

tbhawksfan

Ferry is coming into his third draft. Many of his third season moves will happen in the coming weeks.

The first draft he selected a couple of role players that wouldn't take too long to contribute. Second draft he went pure potential with players 2-3-4... years away from solid contribution. His FA moves last year indicated a short-term competitive vision; he invested in the here and now. The Hawks had a ho-hum, very mediocre season marred by the season ending injury to Horf. Horf would have helped, but most realize that even with him the team would have come up way short of a title.

I was very surprised by the "assemble the best team now" FA moves combined with the potential drafting. What direction will he go with this draft? What about FAcy?

What do you guys expect from Ferry this off-season?

What should he do?

Are we stuck in the middle between rebuilding and competing?

Making moves to compete now, while drafting for years from now seems a bit contradictory. Agree? disagree?

Never too early or late to talk about how and what our GM is doing.

Would it be weird to think that our system continued to 'grow' throughout the Finals? Bud was surely tuned in, seeing the team he coached for 17 years absolutely dismantle the Heat through passing and teamwork. Hopefully our players were seeing the same thing, as well as FA's and their agents.

Remember, lead the NBA in assists when we were healthy, and we were right at the top throughout the whole season. That passing mentality we saw on display in the Finals is already here... we just need a little polish on it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The system that Ferry is installing in Atlanta in regards to players is draft picks and role players. IMO with the Ferry plan there will never be major free agent players, just not going to happen. Ferry will continue to draft players to develop and like with Sap shopping more on the clearance rack than on new model free agents. The Hawks are near the bottom of the NBA in attendance and are not going to go into the luzury tax to sign players.

Edited by Vol4ever

The system that Ferry is installing in Atlanta in regards to players is draft picks and role players. IMO with the Ferry plan there will never be major free agent players, just not going to happen. Ferry will continue to draft players to develop and like with Sap shopping more on the clearance rack than on new model free agents. The Hawks are near the bottom of the NBA in attendance and are not going to go into the luzury tax to sign players.

Then why not go the draft route?

• Moderators

Ferry is coming into his third draft. Many of his third season moves will happen in the coming weeks.

The first draft he selected a couple of role players that wouldn't take too long to contribute. Second draft he went pure potential with players 2-3-4... years away from solid contribution. His FA moves last year indicated a short-term competitive vision; he invested in the here and now. The Hawks had a ho-hum, very mediocre season marred by the season ending injury to Horf. Horf would have helped, but most realize that even with him the team would have come up way short of a title.

I was very surprised by the "assemble the best team now" FA moves combined with the potential drafting. What direction will he go with this draft? What about FAcy?

What do you guys expect from Ferry this off-season?

What should he do?

Are we stuck in the middle between rebuilding and competing?

Making moves to compete now, while drafting for years from now seems a bit contradictory. Agree? disagree?

Never too early or late to talk about how and what our GM is doing.

2013 free agency class sucked and the draft wasn't any better. We were very lucky to sign Millsap & Carroll, retain Korver, and draft Bebe.

I believe this offseason will be all about the draft. I think Ferry will be hesitant to take on any long-term, lucrative deals this offseason as the 2015 free agent class is league changing, especially with $22 mil coming off of the Hawks payroll next season. That's max money for LeBron Bron or whoever. For the draft, there are a lot of speculation out there on what could happen:

1. How interested is Cleveland in Horford?
  2. How interested is Sacramento in Schröder?
  3. What will available at 15 for the Hawks?
  4. Will Lou be traded for an early 2nd round pick to clear cap?
  5. Is there a dark horse move that no one talking about?

And staying competitive while drafting for the future is far from contradictory. Is being a good GM. The goal of the GM is to be competitive so that you are attractive for potential free agents and can sell tickets, but you want to stay flexible so that you can improve. The goal isn't just immediate success, but sustained success. Miami and Brooklyn are going to be bottom feeders within 4 seasons.

All I know is that July 26th cannot get here soon enough!

I actually like his model of picking up solid, winning UFAs for cheap and combining them with upside draft picks, gotta teach young dudes how to win. I've liked all of his picks so far, Jenkins looked solid before the back injury.

FA wise, I honestly did not like the Millsap or Carrol or Korver move at first, but they've won me over after I've seen the system we've got and the type of team we're looking to build. I think signing someone like Luol to a nice deal and having him start at SF for 28 minutes a game improves our team off the bat. This is another big free agency for us, but with the way Ferry has staggered expiring deals we'll have a bit of space every season until we strike a winning formula. I also expect him to continue to find undervalued UFAs every offseason to improve our team in the now (that is, if the bigger FAs don't decide they want to come), while drafting the players he thinks will be the best longterm.

If we aren't pointing towards contending by next summer, we should probably blow the team up.