• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Private agendas still at play in Hawks’ offices

Admin

Is there any way we can turn the pressure onto Grearon? Anyone ever tried looking up his email, Facebook, LinkedIn, home or work address? Inundate him with letters, barrage him with all manner of pleading, begging, cursing, and threatening.

Then if he or his folk are willing to use the threat of corporate sponsors being spooked by a few fans complaining or threating boycott, can those tactics be used against him or his company? threaten boycott or calling out either his company or the companies who do business with his company? Say that if he can't be trusted, why would we trust any company associated with him. He is the problem with this whole situation. He is the one to blame for holding back this franchise and possibly burning it to the ground. F him. He deserves everything back in spades that he puts out there.

I wonder if the NBA can take over ownership of the Hawks until a buyer is found. Didn't they do that with New Orleans. I don't remember the circumstances under which it happened, but is that a possibility?

I wonder if the NBA can take over ownership of the Hawks until a buyer is found. Didn't they do that with New Orleans. I don't remember the circumstances under which it happened, but is that a possibility?

George Shinn wanted to cash out immediately, the NBA specifically wanted an owner that would keep the HorPels in NOLA and thus bought the team from Shinn and held onto them until one could be found. Problem here is that the Gearons don't seem eager to sell.

• Premium Member

Why would anyone want to block a Nique statue? I mean seriously what the hell? He is hands down the greatest Atlanta Hawk of all time and the second best player in franchise history just behind Bob Pettit. Who would want to stop him from getting a statue?

Good questions. Like I said, its not one thing but the culmination of things that made me not like our GM on a personal level.

• Like 2

Why would anyone want to block a Nique statue? I mean seriously what the hell? He is hands down the greatest Atlanta Hawk of all time and the second best player in franchise history just behind Bob Pettit. Who would want to stop him from getting a statue?

Can we get a list of players who have a statue when they never reached the Finals and weren't able to make the leagues top 50 list?

I dont believe there is such a player other than Nique. Leave it to the Hawks to be the first to celebrate mediocrity. I think gearon and Nique hate ferry because they realize he has the ability to take this team to levels that they could not.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Can we get a list of players who have a statue when they never reached the Finals and weren't able to make the leagues top 50 list?

I dont believe there is such a player other than Nique. Leave it to the Hawks to be the first to celebrate mediocrity. I think gearon and Nique hate ferry because they realize he has the ability to take this team to levels that they could not.

Everyone knows Nique being left off the top 50 was the biggest snub of the list. The man is a HoF player and is forever linked to the city of Atlanta. There's no one in Atlanta Hawks history more deserving of a statue than Nique.

• Like 4

Good point. If the Gearons think they can peddle an argument about this team being better off without the negativity, then it shows they don't view the public as smart enough to connect the dots. Maybe it's not really about a statue.

Also, why weren't they trying for a statue before Ferry was there? Did Nique have any new accomplishments in the past three years that warrant a statue?

Exactly.  Since when did they have this grand loyalty to Nique.  They traded him mid-season in a year where the Hawks were playing well.

• Moderators

Everyone knows Nique being left off the top 50 was the biggest snub of the list. The man is a HoF player and is forever linked to the city of Atlanta. There's no one in Atlanta Hawks history more deserving of a statue than Nique.

Agreed.  Nique was the obvious bad omission, not just to Atlanta fans but to basketball commentators as well.  I don't see how that gets held against him just because he didn't play in LA, Boston, NY, etc.  Holding that against him is like hating on Atlanta because it is bootstrapping the neglect for Atlanta into dismissing an Atlanta legend because he didn't get his proper due.

Malone and Stockton are the most comparable to Nique for statues.  All 3 were studs in the same era.  None of them got past the Bulls, Pistons, Lakers and Celtics to win a title.  The Jazz did have the advantage of playing in the West when it was pretty sad compared to the East, kind of like today, for part of that time as well (like 1996-97 when the Jazz feasted on a West with 3 playoff teams that would have been the 10th or 11th teams in the East).  So I don't see losing the finals as a big differentiator that winning the finals is.  The Nets made a bunch of finals but that doesn't mean Kerry Kittles > Nique.

I am truly curious to know why the owners and GM couldn't get on the same page for a Nique statue.  I don't buy the idea that it is a pure Gearon spin either since Nique is the one sharing it with the world.  I do think it is possible that Gearon is spinning it some to make Ferry look worse but the basic underlying notion that Levenson / Ferry wouldn't approve the statue has been undisputed formally or informally for a while.  

“There is no player more deserving of such an honor than Dominique for his continued commitment to the Hawks and the City of Atlanta. Beyond his amazing play on the court during his Hall-of-Fame career, he has been an ambassador for this franchise and the city for three decades,” Koonin said. “For all he has accomplished and continues to do for the Hawks franchise and the City of Atlanta, we are proud to bestow this permanent recognition of his legacy.”
  • Like 4

Where is the bashing? It seems to be a criteria argument. Also, Nique didn't play in the 1996 Olympics: http://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/teams/USA/1996

He wasn't on any Olympic Teams: http://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/athletes/w-index

He was on the 1994 World Championship squad: http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2014/09/dominique-wilkins-says-1994-team-usa-play-editions/

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/team/p/sid/2913/tid/379/_/1994_World_Championship_for_Men/index.html

By your logic, we should have an Ilya Kovalchuk statue though. I mean, he was the greatest Thrasher of all-time. So why doesn't he get one?

I've always maintained a "meh" argument on the statue. Whatever man, if you've (Nique and crew, not @HawkItus ) got such a pompous me-first attitude that you want to see a statue then I'm not going to get in your way. Want a hologram statue next? Do you want a section of the arena also named after you? I mean, to act as if the Hawks have not honored Nique is to be the same type of f***ing prick like Tommy Dorth was to say that the Hawks did not honor Lou Hudson even though the team clearly did! Whatever, I find it a bit childish for anyone to want a statue. At the same time, I'm not going to get up in arms and picket against Nique getting a statue....well except to the point that it sabotages this franchise.

To continue my Shakespearean observation of Ferry/Nique: "A statue, a statue! My franchise for a statue!"

(....but at this point I'm open to this issue being larger than a statue. But if it is only about a statue, then f*** all these assholes.)

Stop fact checking me.  In my mind and for purposes of the story he played in the 1996 Olympics and hit the game winning shot to secure the gold against Mother Russia, Nakita Koloff, and Ivan Drago.

Seriously though I think you guys are approaching this from a pro Ferry view when it could be the other way around.  Maybe Nique did not ask for a statue, but was approached by Gearon saying "Hey Nique we want to build you a statue and have a big ceremony, but DF won't let it happen"  Nique might be getting played.  Or perhaps Ferry really did block the Nique statue because of his culture war.  Like the stuff that leaked about Ryan Cameron.  Maybe the elitist part of Ferry didn't jibe with their culture.  Is Nique wrong for seeing red because an outsider prohibited him from gaining a well deserved honor?

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I was a pretty harsh (and ignorant) critic of Danny Ferry.  The biggest issue for me was that there was very little precedent to support his methodology.  I just figured he was another Babcock (I stil feel that the JJ deal was more a stroke of luck than genius).  I was stuck in the past with a narrow minded and inflexible view on how to build a team...and I was judging Ferry on what he did in Cleveland.

So when he made those comments, I was happy.  I was happy because I thought him leaving would bring us a new direction.  I didn't think much of the comments themselves...or Levenson's email for that matter.  To me, they all just seemed out of touch and a bit "elitist."

The success of this team has humbled me...because it's so clear what Ferry was trying to do and I was not even in the same hemisphere with my assumptions.  Though, as a purist, I should have had more respect for his plan.

All that being said, I don't like the "air" that has been floating around our management - which includes Danny Ferry.  However, the man obviously knows basketball and has done something remarkable here.  My issue was largely with his performance, but that's no longer a question.  He needs to get back to work...but this is a tough spot with the reputation he has now.  It's just our luck....but honestly, I'd gamble with it.

What really needs to happen is the setting aside of egos and personal feelings.  Ferry needs to make amends for this Nique statue thing and anything else he's done to rub people the wrong way and everyone that has personal feelings towards Ferry needs to let it go.  

That's what needs to happen so that this city can enjoy having a contender and hopefully a champion.

• Like 1