• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

Well, I guess we could still trade him but his entire salary is now against our cap?

Either way, he is now a Hawk and there is no cutting him to save cap room. Trade or a Hawk.

Edited by RWF

Well, I guess we could still trade him but his entire salary is now against our cap?

Either way, he is now a Hawk and there is no cutting him to save cap room. Trade or a Hawk.

If we trade him we'd take back up to 10.6 million in salary.

If we cut him, we are only on the hook for 1 million in his salary.

If we keep him, we are on the hook for 7 million in his salary. 

We likely won't hear anything tonight whether he's extended or cut. 

I thought if we cut him BEFORE the deadline (the whole point in the extension), we only pay 1 mil. But after the deadline the Hawks are on the hook for the entire salary?

Yes that's what I said. Just assume there's no way we're going to cut him with it costing us 7 million. 

Well we may as well keep him I guess...as long as he passes the ball and plays defense he should do OK in Bud's system.

Welcome aboard Mr. Salmons.

The ONLY way we keep him is if we strike out in FA and in trades. He's a shell of the player he used to be and he probably wouldn't even get minutes on our team unless we had injuries. 

Yes that's what I said. Just assume there's no way we're going to cut him with it costing us 7 million. 

Which is why I first stated looks like they are either keeping him or trading him. I wonder if the decision was made after talking to some free agents and how much they were asking?

Which is why I first stated looks like they are either keeping him or trading him. I wonder if the decision was made after talking to some free agents and how much they were asking?

There's probably a 1% chance that we keep him. Only reason we'd do that is if we need his salary to meet the minimum salary requirement for the NBA. And that would be an epic failure! 

• Like 1

So trading him like you said, we take back 10.6 mil in salary. Obviously with a trade like that, Salmons is an 'add-on' expiring to a bigger piece (Horford? Millsap? Teague?), and assuming that big contract we take back is a high priced player (or a bunch of contracts that will fill up multiple roster spots, which we have few open). Could we be looking at a Kevin Love, or is there a team desperate to remove cap space that they would be willing to trade young prospects for cap and expiring contracts?

Could get interesting.

Well to be fair, even if he's getting "long in the tooth", that is the kind of guy DF/Bud like.  Experience, willing to play unselfishly, sure maybe he is only a backup - but we have had injuries before and probably will have next year too.

I remember watching him play against us a few times and it seemed like he did OK.

So trading him like you said, we take back 10.6 mil in salary. Obviously with a trade like that, Salmons is an 'add-on' expiring to a bigger piece (Horford? Millsap? Teague?), and assuming that big contract we take back is a high priced player (or a bunch of contracts that will fill up multiple roster spots, which we have few open). Could we be looking at a Kevin Love, or is there a team desperate to remove cap space that they would be willing to trade young prospects for cap and expiring contracts?

Could get interesting.

No I don't think we can trade Salmons with another player in the same deal. But we can take back UP TO 10.6 million in salary from another team for Salmons alone. 

• Like 1

Well to be fair, even if he's getting "long in the tooth", that is the kind of guy DF/Bud like.  Experience, willing to play unselfishly, sure maybe he is only a backup - but we have had injuries before and probably will have next year too.

I remember watching him play against us a few times and it seemed like he did OK.

Unselfish does not describe Salmons. He's always been a guy looking to get his 1st. He's not going to play at the expense of our young guys. 

No I don't think we can trade Salmons with another player in the same deal. But we can take back UP TO 10.6 million in salary from another team for Salmons alone. 

This probably isn't going to be good. ugh.

This offseason is going to be one of the worst considering how everything is dragging out.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

Wow, really? Who would trade a good player worth up to 10 mil for Salmons? Unless we trade bad for bad.

Wow, really? Who would trade a good player worth up to 10 mil for Salmons? Unless we trade bad for bad.

A team looking to clear a 10 million salary spot. Doesn't have to be that big either, it could be a 6-7 million dollar player and then they cut Salmons and pay the 1 million and it basically clears 5-6 million for them. 

A team looking to clear a 10 million salary spot. Doesn't have to be that big either, it could be a 6-7 million dollar player and then they cut Salmons and pay the 1 million and it basically clears 5-6 million for them. 

It could also be 2 separate deals involving the same team, correct? Like the first trade involves the main pieces then Salmons for a contract the team wants to unload?