• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

It's possible that there is indeed a different type of balance sheet used within the walls of NBA operations which could presumably list 'assets' like capspace (based on the rules of the ethereal GAAP).  Maybe that's what he meant.  That actually makes sense now that I think about it, but the 'real' balance sheet would presumably (word of the day) have to be GAAP compliant.  Did I just answer my own question?

I'm not sure why a fan would care about the literal balance sheet of operation unless you are concerned about an investment related to the A$G. Or if you are hyper-concerned about the cash flow of the A$G and that it could be declining rapidly which then affects the product on the court.

I said balance sheet tongue-in-cheek. NBA Teams operate with a Salary Cap, which effectively acts as a balance sheet but is not literally one. And yes, Cap Space is listed as an "asset" for teams. The NBA actually puts out memos (pretty sure every 2 weeks) to all the teams that updates them on the standing of all 29 other contracts/exceptions/cap space. I am not sure how one can claim this is not an asset unless they have a definition of an asset as one set forth only through AICPA and regulated via the SEC through form F0278-A [continue with accounting joke, put something witty in here before you hit submit to really get the board laughing] {/sarcasm}

HoneyWasabiSalmon.jpg

~lw3

Did you drop it in the compost pile before you put it on the plate?  Kidding, kidding.

I'm not sure why a fan would care about the literal balance sheet of operation unless you are concerned about an investment related to the A$G. Or if you are hyper-concerned about the cash flow of the A$G and that it could be declining rapidly which then affects the product on the court.

I said balance sheet tongue-in-cheek. NBA Teams operate with a Salary Cap, which effectively acts as a balance sheet but is not literally one. And yes, Cap Space is listed as an "asset" for teams. The NBA actually puts out memos (pretty sure every 2 weeks) to all the teams that updates them on the standing of all 29 other contracts/exceptions/cap space. I am not sure how one can claim this is not an asset unless they have a definition of an asset as one set forth only through AICPA and regulated via the SEC through form F0278-A [continue with accounting joke, put something witty in here before you hit submit to really get the board laughing] {/sarcasm}

I work in the accounting realm to a degree so it piqued my interest.  Also, your sarcasm hurt my feewings.  Accounting jokes can be funny too ... right?

• Premium Member

Yep, you book it as an asset and then you amortize it as an expense over the life of the contract. Even a stupid Joe Dumars contract with Josh Smith.

Can you depreciate that asset over time?     just kidding, lol

• Premium Member

@ATLHAWKS deserves a little heat, too. Radio silence on their Twitter page for 15 hours, and counting. I guess they figured fans were supposed to #AskMuscala yesterday?

~lw3

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

An NBA franchise really wants fans.  This GM and his organization wants to be top secret about everything and I understand that to a point.  

Gotta keep the fans informed on a timely basis

• Like 2

Did you drop it in the compost pile before you put it on the plate?  Kidding, kidding.

I work in the accounting realm to a degree so it piqued my interest.  Also, your sarcasm hurt my feewings.  Accounting jokes can be funny too ... right?

I know @Watchman is also an accountant, so I had an inkling that he was referencing the accounting side of things. I think he was doing so a bit too heavy for this application which is why I jumped in. I also don't want accountants to think I hate them from my previous posts, I mean I do hate them as well as lawyers and doctors but for other reasons {/sarcasm}.

We should just have an insult/joke thread in the lounge to see which profession is the worst or funniest, depending on how you feel about the issue. That would be the real test of how accountanty @kg01 is.

Yeah. I thought my line about them extending the deadline until the 10th because ASG had to hold yard sales to get together enough money to pay Salmons his $1 million was funny. Perhaps I'm too old and out of step with all you young whippersnappers.

• Like 1

Yeah. I thought my line about them extending the deadline until the 10th because ASG had to hold yard sales to get together enough money to pay Salmons his $1 million was funny. Perhaps I'm too old and out of step with all you young whippersnappers.

Me too.  Maybe @hawksfanatic just needs a funny bone-ectomy.

I know @Watchman is also an accountant, so I had an inkling that he was referencing the accounting side of things. I think he was doing so a bit too heavy for this application which is why I jumped in. I also don't want accountants to think I hate them from my previous posts, I mean I do hate them as well as lawyers and doctors but for other reasons {/sarcasm}.

We should just have an insult/joke thread in the lounge to see which profession is the worst or funniest, depending on how you feel about the issue. That would be the real test of how accountanty @kg01 is.

Ok, I'm up to speed now.  I'm not an accountant though I spend a lot of time around them.  Lawyers should be exempt from the insult thread.  They have an unfair disadvantage.

Oh no you're probably not nearly as old as some of these old farts around here stinker.gif

It was funny. But I think they stepped things up a little and are using E-Bay auctions nowadays...