• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

I have never been a fan of cap space. I am also not a fan of Ferry's drafting. With the news that Cleveland is in serious talks to get Love if Lebron goes there it is just getting worse.

Cap space and blowing first round picks is not going to get us anywhere. Maxing out guys like Chandler Parson's and Gordon Hayward is not going to get us anywhere either.

We need some serious trades and we are simply not active enough.

If LeBron was coming to Atlanta Ferry would have plenty of ammo to get Love. But until that 1 superstar is willing to come here we aren't likely to see Ferry sending out players / picks for other star players.

Do you realize this team shot 38% with an average of 91 PPG as a team against Indiana in the playoffs? They did not play all that well. Indiana just played like crap.

Weren't the Pacers the best defensive team in basketball last year? They lost what 5 home games or something silly like that and we took 2 games in their building with Pero starting and playing big minutes!

Weren't the Pacers the best defensive team in basketball last year? They lost what 5 home games or something silly like that and we took 2 games in their building with Pero starting and playing big minutes!

They were  a .500 team after the all star break. If it had been Miami instead, the Hawks would have lost in 5.

The Hawks have played Indy well over the years. They gave them SOME trouble 2 years ago. 

That does not mean this team is anything more than a 1st round loss right now. Even has hard as they played. They played hard and you can't take that from them, but they're still not that good.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I just hope we don't just waive him outright. Unless we have a guarantee from a guy like Deng or Ariza.

But the longer it goes, the more it looks like nobody wants to trade for him to create cap space.

Here's hoping we didn't trade BeBe so we could sign Shawn Marion and Brand

Edited by Afro

• Premium Member

At this point, it is becoming obvious that Ferry had plans on using Salmons after we had knotted up some big FA.  Moreover, Ferry had plans that the deal would have been done by now.

I don't know about the rules of getting a waiver?  I think this date of July 10 was for a reason, otherwise, we would have set it back to Oct.

Also, if we waive him, all that means is that we lose 1 Million dollars from the cap.

Edited by Diesel

At this point, it is becoming obvious that Ferry had plans on using Salmons after we had knotted up some big FA. Moreover, Ferry had plans that the deal would have been done by now.

I don't know about the rules of getting a waiver? I think this date of July 10 was for a reason, otherwise, we would have set it back to Oct.

Also, if we waive him, all that means is that we lose 1 Million dollars from the cap.

No if we waive him we lose 6 million from the cap instead of his salary of 7. Trading him is the best bet as we can bring back 10.6 million in salary for him.

Ferry and Salmons can and probably will agree to extend the deadline again. I have no idea the rules on how far that can be pushed though.

I know people are impatient but most free agents are in holding patterns until LeBron makes his damn decision.

• Moderators

#CVivsparkler

~lw3

• Like 1

They extended his contract until July 10th, right?

Well, he better do something quick if that is the case.

5 million is going to just get you a scrub considering how players are getting overpaid left and right.

We have been hearing about cap space and flexibility for a few years now and what has it landed the Hawks so far? I'veseen zero evidence that Ferry can move this franchise past treadmill status. Which is what he claimed that he wanted to do. I have not even brought up the fact that his draft picks have yet to really pan out.

I absolutely hate the fact that I agree with about 75% of the posts that Hotlanta makes these days. But he's right on point.

• Premium Member

No if we waive him we lose 6 million from the cap instead of his salary of 7. Trading him is the best bet as we can bring back 10.6 million in salary for him.

Ferry and Salmons can and probably will agree to extend the deadline again. I have no idea the rules on how far that can be pushed though.

I know people are impatient but most free agents are in holding patterns until LeBron makes his damn decision.

We gain 6 million.  We lose 1 Million that we have to pay him....

Had we traded him, that 1 Million wouldn't have gone against our cap.

I have a question. I'm sorry if it has already been asked but I'm curious how extending the waiver deadline helps Salmons. I keep hearing he would have to agree with it but my understanding is he would just be waiting to go to another team and then be waived. Financially he gets the same money. If he refuses it, he can then start negotiating his next job before all the money is gone from other teams. I must be looking at this wrong.

You really don't think we would improve as the season went on? New coach, new system and you expect our record at 30 games to be who we were all season long,

Compare the team you saw lose to Dallas in the first game and our team during the playoffs. Let me guess..same team, right?

What people need to remember about the start of the season is that we were playing a bottom 5 strength of schedule before Horford went down.

Honestly, we should've been more like 19 - 10 when Horford went down, with the schedule we were playing.

• Premium Member

I absolutely hate the fact that I agree with about 75% of the posts that Hotlanta makes these days. But he's right on point.

There was so much potential with the Salmons contract.  It was 7 million however much cap we wanted to spend.   For instance, I think we could have traded that Salmons contract for Tayshun Prince and a 1st.  Do I want Tayshun... not really, but he's in the last year of his deal.  Plus, he can still play a bit and he fits with our defensive team.  Or Andrea Bargnani.. again, last year of his deal, but it would have ate up about 4 Million from our cap.  But I betcha that Bargnani is better than Antić... and during the season, his contract becomes a valuable trade tool.  Or Kevin Garnett!!  Doubtful but it would have been fun to see if we could get the Big ticket in Atlanta for his last run!  Again, last year of his contract.  His deal becomes more valuable as the year goes on.