• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

Thinking ahead on a 'what if' with Love,

He hasn't been to the playoffs. With the Hawks he could finally taste the playoffs (which could improve his chances on re-signing with the Hawks).

If he leaves next summer, where to? Lakers who just drafted Randle? Well if they want to give up on Randle for a chance at Kobe/Love and keep cap room for another star, I would gladly sign and trade Love (who will receive max with us) to LA for Randle to start our rebuild.

Just some 'what if' options that could change the team's treadmill state instead of wasting away Horford's prime years waiting for something and maybe even watch him leave.

Ferry doesn't value picks that much. He has not made a good first round pick yet. No reason not to give up Sap+Payne(1st rd pick)+ 2015 rights to swap with Nets (could be lottery) + 2017 first if needed.

I would do the deal without Love signing. Twolves are going to want even more for a re-signed Love.

• Premium Member

Some people look at that as too much to give for Love, because he COULD leave after one season.

But I see it differently. I go aggressive after a superior (to what we have) talent and finally place him on a playoff team. Next off-season, he will either re-sign with us or we go into rebuild mode (actual rebuild mode, where we get to the top of drafts finding our franchise player).

Either outcome with Love being on the team (him re-signing, him leaving and we tank) helps us get to a destination of getting top tier talent. This treadmill isn't taking us anywhere, and has been proven for longer than it should. Staying competitive with our current 'core' in hopes of a star free agent signing with us, well, how has that worked out so far? Dwight? Paul? Melo? Lebron, about to pass us up twice?

You have to take chances and be aggressive if you want to succeed in improving your team/finding elite talent.

Tell you what... For how long have we been in this so-called threadmill? Five years, maybe?

We've been down the lottery road before for 7-8 consecutive years IIRC. Where's our superstar?

So you're saying you'd rather be on the lottery threadmill instead of the competitive one? I guess I have to respect your opinion, but I certainly don't share the same line of thinking.

I want my team to be good enough to have a shot at winning the title. That necessarily means I'd like it to make the playoffs every single season. We are getting better next season. And hopefully the season after. I'd rather have a 5-year plan of competitive retooling than a 10-year plan as a cellar dweller.

Cleveland drafted the best player of the last 20-25 years and that have they won? A conference finals? Not much, really. Then he leaves and the Cavs are given not one, not two, but THREE first picks. Are they better then our team yet? I would say no. will they be better than our team soon? I would say probably not.

DF is doing things right. You have to have the respect of the media if you're going to attract the best free-agents. It takes time, but I would say that slowly things are starting to change for the Hawks.

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 2

For one, I don't think I would do 2 1sts, and secondly we have Horford still on our roster according to that proposed deal. Millsap, Payne and the 2015 1st (which would have no effect on the 2016 and beyond drafts if Love walks next summer) or if Horford has to be involved - Horford and Payne with no pick for Love.

You're right you wouldn't be doing 2 firsts. You'd be doing 4 firsts if you listened to MrGiveaway. Millsap has first round value in trade, plus Payne is a first and then the 2 future firsts. Way, way, way too much for Love, especially ok an ending contract.

Thankfully Ferry doesn't seem like the type to trade future firsts.

• Premium Member

Taking inventory, am i accurate to think that the obvious customers for Salmons' contract would be Houston (Melo), Chicago (Melo), and OKC (Gasol)?

If so, I'm not seeing much opportunity... nothing on those rosters that make any sense, imo.

The only other shot might be somehow figuring into a Love deal, and taking on 31 year-old Kevin Martin for 3 years.

Don't see that, either.

Looks to be a dead end.

Taking inventory, am i accurate to think that the obvious customers for Salmons' contract would be Houston (Melo), Chicago (Melo), and OKC (Gasol)?

If so, I'm not seeing much opportunity... nothing on those rosters that make any sense, imo.

The only other shot might be somehow figuring into a Love deal, and taking on 31 year-old Kevin Martin for 3 years.

Don't see that, either.

Looks to be a dead end.

Surely those teams have backup bigs right?

• Premium Member

I just don't see it appealing to the other side of the trade if it doesn't take back a significant contract that allows them to pursue one of those FA targets or Love.

Martin would have been an interesting consideration if we were talking one year or maybe two, but certainly not three.

2 scenarios, right?  1 is trade salmons (+ maybe someone else?) and take on a player or players with a comparable or higher contract.  2 is waive salmons and then sign deng or equivalent.

given that ferry is still talking to pieces, wouldn't you think a trade is more likely?

Tell you what... For how long have we been in this so-called threadmill? Five years, maybe?

We've been down the lottery road before for 7-8 consecutive years IIRC. Where's our superstar?

So you're saying you'd rather be on the lottery threadmill instead of the competitive one? I guess I have to respect your opinion, but I certainly don't share the same line of thinking.

I want my team to be good enough to have a shot at winning the title. That necessarily means I'd like it to make the playoffs every single season. We are getting better next season. And hopefully the season after. I'd rather have a 5-year plan of competitive retooling than a 10-year plan as a cellar dweller.

Cleveland drafted the best player of the last 20-25 years and that have they won? A conference finals? Not much, really. Then he leaves and the Cavs are given not one, not two, but THREE first picks. Are they better then our team yet? I would say no. will they be better than our team soon? I would say probably not.

DF is doing things right. You have to have the respect of the media if you're going to attract the best free-agents. It takes time, but I would say that slowly things are starting to change for the Hawks.

This has already been answered before.

This team has been making the playoffs for 7 years and they're barely any closer to a superstar after 7 seasons in the playoffs. This making the first and second round stuff is not producing shit. They were closer to Chris Paul in the draft in 2005 than they were in a FA last year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He has a plan. Some part of me is still hoping we use Salmons in a separate trade with Minn to get K-Mart for Salmons straight up but only as part of a Kevin Love trade to Atlanta for Millsap and whatever else they want.

• Like 3

He has a plan. Some part of me is still hoping we use Salmons in a separate trade with Minn to get K-Mart for Salmons straight up but only as part of a Kevin Love trade to Atlanta for Millsap and whatever else they want.

My #1 outcome this off-season, Kevin Love a Hawk. Would love this.

• Like 1

Ferry doesn't value picks that much. He has not made a good first round pick yet. No reason not to give up Sap+Payne(1st rd pick)+ 2015 rights to swap with Nets (could be lottery) + 2017 first if needed.

I would do the deal without Love signing. Twolves are going to want even more for a re-signed Love.

Its a little too early to be speaking in absolutes dont you think

Its a little too early to be speaking in absolutes dont you think

No I do not he has had 3 offseasons to make picks and none of them are really helping us as of now.

Edited by MrMeltdown