• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For future reference, what is your tipping point contract for Deng if we get him

sturt

• Premium Member

I have a confession to make. I should have looked up how old he is... I took it for granted that he was 30+, but it turns out, he won't be 30 until next April. So, just a year older than Horf. So, put me down for 3 years (instead of 2).

He's good, but he's not a difference maker, and he's long-since hit his ceiling... he can only go downhill. And he's played in less than 70 games in 50% of his 10 seasons, averaging 63 games the last 3. I don't think he actually deserves anything more than Millsap's 9.5m, but I'm willing to go as much as 10m. I have a feeling, if it happens, it's going to be in the neighborhood of 11m, and at that point, I might have to consider shredding my Pete Maravich, Lou Hudson and Walt Bellamy basketball cards.

(And I agree with coachx... if it can work out with any other plans that DF has for this off-season, tilt it so that he's getting a decreasing salary each season, which Deng shouldn't mind anyhow.)

OK I see now.

New CBA sucks. There's no need for a SNT period.

This of course means that there's no reason for us to have not waived Salmons already.

:huh::huh:

Salmons can be traded for any player under contract......the value the other team would want is the ability cut Salmons and increase their own cap space.

Ferry is simply fishing Salmons..... No pun. It takes a while to get a bite. If nothing bites by July 10th he cuts Salmons free.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Of course now I'm horrified by the sad prospect due to free agency... and the new cba.. and I recognize that it's a "players market".  That being said:

3 yrs 29 Million.

That starts out at 9.25 this year... and I would give him a PO after the first year.  I think he'd be more inclined to take the deal with the PO because he can sufficiently prove himself and go after a larger, longer contract next year.  And if I'm Ferry I say, if you prove yourself, I will give you a 4 yr deal next year.

• Premium Member

Salmons can be traded for any player under contract......the value the other team would want is the ability cut Salmons and increase their own cap space.

Ferry is simply fishing Salmons..... No pun. It takes a while to get a bite. If nothing bites by July 10th he cuts Salmons free.

Yes he can but it makes no sense to sign and trade him for a FA anymore.  It would have to be for a Signed player on a cap strapped team...

So here's what I see.

1Brooklyn Nets
2Los Angeles Clippers
3Chicago Bulls
4Denver Nuggets
5Oklahoma City Thunder
6Sacramento Kings
7Memphis Grizzlies
8Indiana Pacers11,
9New York Knicks
10Minnesota Timberwolves
11Golden State Warriors

These are the 11 teams that are over the cap max.  OF those, a few have bigs to part with:

Perkins = No

Gibson = Probably not going to be offered.

Hickson = I wish

Landry = Please no.

Scola = Sounds possible.

Dalembert  = I don't know if that can be done.

So more than likely, we might deal him for a player and a pick like Tayshun Prince and a future 1st or something like that.  I wouldn't be upset with that but I just don't see us making a move for what we need the most.

Joe Kotoch: If be surprised if Luol Deng agrees to a deal w/ Heat. Hearing it would be in the $6-8M range. Not sure if it works w/ big 3 salary demands. Twitter @Probballdraft

Miami Heat, Free Agency, Luol Deng

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.

So Miami is offering a max of $8 mil which would not be enough. He turned down 3yr/$30 mil from Chicago. So where exactly does that leave the Hawks.

3yr/$27-$30 million is a max.

If he wants a salary higher than $11/per it should be a 3 year deal with a team option in year 3.

I would also like to see a declining scale salary structure.

One thing I wish reporters and posters would stop with is listing average salary, because that does not matter. What matters is actual salary. And even further, when reporting television deals (which will happen soon), they should not say $100 million over 5 years. Or at least if they do say that, they should break down the yearly amounts. It is very rare that a contract is agreed to with flat amounts.

Given the Hawks are limited to 4.5% raises (which is a joke now, BTW), I could live with $11m - $10.5m - $10m $9.5m - $9.1m - $8.7m. I mean, what else are we going to do with that cap space? Tack on a 4th year team option at $10m $9m and I am fine with that, I don't think I would be OK with a player option.

From the Hawks perspective they should be pushing for less in salary and for non-guaranteed years.

And this is not to say that I think the Hawks will do this.

Edit: Changed my mind on numbers after I realized that at one point in time I liked the Marvin Williams and Mike Bibby deals.

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Moderators

Luol agent said it will take 12m per year,

@YannisNBA: . @WindhorstESPN on ESPN - Luol Deng telling teams it's going to take $12 million a year to sign him.

Good luck to you, sir.

• Like 1

Yes he can but it makes no sense to sign and trade him for a FA anymore.  It would have to be for a Signed player on a cap strapped team...

So here's what I see.

1Brooklyn Nets
2Los Angeles Clippers
3Chicago Bulls
4Denver Nuggets
5Oklahoma City Thunder
6Sacramento Kings
7Memphis Grizzlies
8Indiana Pacers11,
9New York Knicks
10Minnesota Timberwolves
11Golden State Warriors

These are the 11 teams that are over the cap max.  OF those, a few have bigs to part with:

Perkins = No

Gibson = Probably not going to be offered.

Hickson = I wish

Landry = Please no.

Scola = Sounds possible.

Dalembert  = I don't know if that can be done.

So more than likely, we might deal him for a player and a pick like Tayshun Prince and a future 1st or something like that.  I wouldn't be upset with that but I just don't see us making a move for what we need the most.

Additional trade partners are the teams creating max contract cap space for Bron and Melo (at least Cavs and Rockets), so there could be some additional interesting players we can Salmons use for.

With Deng reportedly asking for 12 mill a year and say we were considering giving him that for 4 years ( yr 4 team option ) would it be wiser to throw that $$$ at Monroe simply due to age? Also say we did offer Monroe 12 a year does Detriot have the ability to match that offer? I don't know their situation. I don't want to lose Millsap to get Monroe so that's why I didn't know what the possibilities were?

Monroe/Horford/Millsap/Teague/Korver

Or

Horford/Millsap/Deng/Teague/Korver

I like both lineups.

Gianluca, yes, DET can match... he's restricted FA.

What does us signing him to 12/year do to them though? Would it hurt them at all? Would they instantly match or strongly consider letting him walk at that price.

Edited by Gianluca