• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's take a good look at the East

Dragitoff

There's a lot of doom and gloom around here lately because we aren't talking to any of the superstars (or at least it's not being reported), but let's just say the chips fall where they are appearing to fall now and...

1. LeBron goes home to Cleveland

2. Bosh goes to Houston

3. Melo goes to LA or New York (I don't think he gives up the money honestly)

4. Deng signs with Atlanta

5. Hayward stays in Utah

6. Ariza stays in Washington

7. Stephenson stays in Indy (I think they make this happen at the end of the day)

DIVISION TITLE

It's safe to say that Miami's title run is over, even if temporarily.  It's an exciting destination but Wade would essentially be the only big thing there and he's a shell of his former self now.  Washington played well and would expect to improve just by natural progression.  They'd be our top competition for the division crown. 

Charlotte can be a sleeper and Orlando is still rebuilding, but could be dangerous in a few seasons. 

CONFERENCE TITLE

Cleveland will almost certainly get a bump in their standings; however is LeBron and Wiggins enough to put them as a top seed?  It's certainly possible, but still remains to be seen.  They've got some good young talent in Cleveland, but some of that good talent has had difficulty remaining healthy (Irving, Varajeo).  Melo's been in New York for the past few years and it really hasn't provided them anything.  You'd expect them to be better with Jackson at the helm, but they still have to perform on the court and I'd say they might make the playoffs, but don't consider them a top seed by any means.  Chicago has to always be counted on as a contender, with or without Rose simply because they play such good defense, but Boozer is almost certainly gone whether or not they get Melo.  They burned that bridge pretty good late last year and even though you can't stand the guy, Boozer can put points and boards up by the bunches.  Of course, Gibson can too, who would replace him, but that makes the team have less depth.  Of course, if Rose DOES actually play this season, they could be your top seed.  Toronto retained most of their team from last year and plays hard on both sides of the ball.  They should be a good team again this year.  I think Indiana takes a step back this year. 

In summary, I think the overall picture in the East is extremely favorable for the Hawks.  Your hope if you're an Eastern Conference Team is that all those Western Conference teams beat each other up so bad that you catch a tired and worn down team in the finals.  Seroiusly though, the East is a clearer path to the finals and any team in the top 4 or 5 has a legitimate chance at making it there. 

The way is see it if all these deals play out as I predicted and Rose actually plays in 60+ games....

1. Cleveland

2. Chicago

3. Atlanta

4. Indiana

5. Toronto

6. Brooklyn

7. New York

8. Charlotte

• Moderators

I think you are pretty much on the mark.  We are in the 3-6 seed range and I would slot us as a second round playoff exit.

Cleveland would become the strong favorite in the East, IMO.  I would also think that if you have Chicago dumping Boozer that they will pick up some significant FA as well.  If both Lebron and Bosh ditch Miami, then that could be Wade who signs in his hometown Chicago.

There's a lot of doom and gloom around here lately because we aren't talking to any of the superstars (or at least it's not being reported), but let's just say the chips fall where they are appearing to fall now and...

1. LeBron goes home to Cleveland

2. Bosh goes to Houston

3. Melo goes to LA or New York (I don't think he gives up the money honestly)

4. Deng signs with Atlanta

5. Hayward stays in Utah

6. Ariza stays in Washington

7. Stephenson stays in Indy (I think they make this happen at the end of the day)

DIVISION TITLE

It's safe to say that Miami's title run is over, even if temporarily.  It's an exciting destination but Wade would essentially be the only big thing there and he's a shell of his former self now.  Washington played well and would expect to improve just by natural progression.  They'd be our top competition for the division crown. 

Charlotte can be a sleeper and Orlando is still rebuilding, but could be dangerous in a few seasons. 

CONFERENCE TITLE

Cleveland will almost certainly get a bump in their standings; however is LeBron and Wiggins enough to put them as a top seed?  It's certainly possible, but still remains to be seen.  They've got some good young talent in Cleveland, but some of that good talent has had difficulty remaining healthy (Irving, Varajeo).  Melo's been in New York for the past few years and it really hasn't provided them anything.  You'd expect them to be better with Jackson at the helm, but they still have to perform on the court and I'd say they might make the playoffs, but don't consider them a top seed by any means.  Chicago has to always be counted on as a contender, with or without Rose simply because they play such good defense, but Boozer is almost certainly gone whether or not they get Melo.  They burned that bridge pretty good late last year and even though you can't stand the guy, Boozer can put points and boards up by the bunches.  Of course, Gibson can too, who would replace him, but that makes the team have less depth.  Of course, if Rose DOES actually play this season, they could be your top seed.  Toronto retained most of their team from last year and plays hard on both sides of the ball.  They should be a good team again this year.  I think Indiana takes a step back this year. 

In summary, I think the overall picture in the East is extremely favorable for the Hawks.  Your hope if you're an Eastern Conference Team is that all those Western Conference teams beat each other up so bad that you catch a tired and worn down team in the finals.  Seroiusly though, the East is a clearer path to the finals and any team in the top 4 or 5 has a legitimate chance at making it there. 

The way is see it if all these deals play out as I predicted and Rose actually plays in 60+ games....

1. Cleveland

2. Chicago

3. Atlanta

4. Indiana

5. Toronto

6. Brooklyn

7. New York

8. Charlotte

Washington is missing from the predicted top 8. 

1. Indiana 

2. Atlanta ( Healthy Al all year )

3. Cleveland ( time to gel )

4. Chicago

5. Washington

6. Toronto 

7. Charlotte 

8. Brooklyn

( when typing that I was also assuming we signed Deng and 7-8 obviously a crapshoot but can see Det making the PO's over Brooklyn ) 

Edited by Gianluca

I think you are pretty much on the mark.  We are in the 3-6 seed range and I would slot us as a second round playoff exit.

Cleveland would become the strong favorite in the East, IMO.  I would also think that if you have Chicago dumping Boozer that they will pick up some significant FA as well.  If both Lebron and Bosh ditch Miami, then that could be Wade who signs in his hometown Chicago.

Wade could essentially "go home" but I think it's more likely Pau would go to Chicago and I should've included that one in my prognosis.  lol.  I do think Chicago gets someone of note, but personally I think Melo was their best shot at a big name FA and I have a feeling he isn't going to leave that much money on the table to leave New York.

Washington is missing from the predicted top 8. 

1. Indiana 

2. Atlanta ( Healthy Al all year )

3. Cleveland ( time to gel )

4. Chicago

5. Washington

6. Toronto 

7. Charlotte 

8. Brooklyn

( when typing that I was also assuming we signed Deng and 7-8 obviously a crapshoot but can see Det making the PO's over Brooklyn ) 

That was actually a typo on my part.  I meant for Washington to be in the place where Brooklyn was and I had them out of the playoffs altogether.  They are a mess right now. 

Damn, the East could be even worse this year...

I can't do a rank until I know where the TOP free agents will play, but RIGHT NOW (I mean, without Lebron, Stephenson, Bosh, etc, with the current rosters) I see something like it:

1.-Chicago (with a healthy Rose)

2.-Indiana

3.-Toronto

4.-WW

5.-Atlanta

6.-Charlotte

7.-BK

8.-Boston/Cleveland

If we sign Deng, Ariza, Parsons or Stephenson I would put us ahead of Toronto. Same for WW if they re-sign Ariza

I hope that Boston and Cleveland make a few good moves. We need BK to have a horrendous season...

I think you have Toronto way too high there @Ebert. What makes you think they'll be better than us this year?  

I wouldn't count on Rose ever being healthy again. 

Because they drafted the brazilian Kevin Durant... nah, that was a joke xd

They have re-signed Lowry and Patterson, they have  a young core who is still improving and they played good basketball last year. 

Anyway as I said if we sign a good swingman I would put us ahead of them.

• Like 1

I dont think cleveland should be guaranteed to be a top 2 seed if they land lebron unless they trade Wiggins for love.

Wiggins is still very raw and its going to take him a couple of years before he can be the second or third bestplayer on a championship team. Kyrie is mostly flash and less substance. He also has a history of missing games each year due to injuries. Kyrie is his best when he has the ball in his hand and he will be relegated to playing off ball with James in cleveland.

I think the hawks will be able to play with any team in the East and wouldn't be surprised to see us in the ECF if we land Deng and lebron goes to cleveland with irving, wiggins.

• Admin

Damn, the East could be even worse this year...

I can't do a rank until I know where the TOP free agents will play, but RIGHT NOW (I mean, without Lebron, Stephenson, Bosh, etc, with the current rosters) I see something like it:

1.-Chicago (with a healthy Rose)

2.-Indiana

3.-Toronto

4.-WW

5.-Atlanta

6.-Charlotte

7.-BK

8.-Boston/Cleveland

If we sign Deng, Ariza, Parsons or Stephenson I would put us ahead of Toronto. Same for WW if they re-sign Ariza

I hope that Boston and Cleveland make a few good moves. We need BK to have a horrendous season...

I agree that Chicago is number one with a healthy Rose and an additional free agent.  If 'Bron goes to the Cavs they will not be the 8 seed but probably 2 - 3.  He can carry a team to 50 wins and that team has talent ... they just have chemistry issues.

I have a feeling that Stephenson is going to sign in Charlotte.  They want to capitalize on last seasons success

I wouldn't count on Rose ever being healthy again. 

Agreed.  He's a guy who's effectiveness is tied directly to his explosive athleticism.  He hasn't played long enough to show he can be impactful without it.

Heck, even if his knees are structurally healthy there's no guarantee he'll ever get to a point mentally where he trusts them enough.  

Think about that:

Bron->Lakers

Melo->Dallas

Bosh->Houston

Deng->Pels

Hibbert->Seems to be shopped quietly to Western Conference

Is it possible to win a Conference with a negative record? sarcastic_hand.gif

EDIT, ANSWER, EXAMPLE: Conference-Record 36-16, against Western 4-26 WIN EC with 40-42 ROFL

Edited by rd79

I think the most successful franchises in the East going forward are the ones with the tightest knit between ownership, management, and coaching. There are just too many flat out bad franchises in the East. I think us, Miami, and Indy are the most united up top.

I don't think Thibideau cares a great deal for the people above him. I believe Orlando and Boston may be on the right track if their young players develop properly. I don't have too much respect for any other operation. Toronto and Washington were good stories, their coaching staffs don't impress me though.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

1. Cleveland

2. Chicago

3. Atlanta

4. Indiana

5. Toronto

6. Brooklyn

7. New York

8. Charlotte

I have my doubts that Lebron's Cleveland team would be better than his old Cleveland teams.  Irving is fun to watch but that's on a team that sucks.

Every year, Chicago weakens itself and Every year, people expect them to contend.

If those things you say do happen, this is what I see:

1.  Atlanta.

2.  Pacers

3.  Cleveland

4.  Charlotte

5.  Washington

6.  Toronto

7.  Brooklyn

8.  Chicago

I have my doubts that Lebron's Cleveland team would be better than his old Cleveland teams.  Irving is fun to watch but that's on a team that sucks.

Every year, Chicago weakens itself and Every year, people expect them to contend.

If those things you say do happen, this is what I see:

1.  Atlanta.

2.  Pacers

3.  Cleveland

4.  Charlotte

5.  Washington

6.  Toronto

7.  Brooklyn

8.  Chicago

That is all highly possible, and that was my point.  You cannot solely look at the moves the Hawks do and do not make and say we're destined to suck.  You have to look at the conference as a whole and say the entire conference sucks so it's possible we improve on what we've done recently and who knows what can happen then? 

Another thing to consider is if Deng does indeed sign to play here, we've set ourselves up nicely to slow down the big threats in the East.  Carroll, Thabo, and Deng are all quality perimeter defenders.  That bodes well for us against LeBron, Melo, DWade, George, etc...