• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does "Delicate Timing" of Bazemore Deal Suggest a Trade?

vdunkndunk

Does the quote below suggest a trade to anyone else?  To me, saying we really want to get a deal done is one thing, but the fact that Bazemore's side had to explain the "delicate timing" of this deal to the Lakers seems to suggest other moving parts, i.e., maybe we needed to know we had Bazemore in the fold before we were willing to pull the trigger on another deal, or maybe on another signing.  Thoughts?

Bazemore's representatives were also in contract discussions with the Lakers on Friday, but there was more urgency on Atlanta's end, a league source told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin.

"Just a timing thing," the source said. "(The Lakers) couldn't agree tonight ... Hawks needed it done."

Bazemore's representatives informed the Lakers of the delicate timing, but L.A. was not ready to move forward and finalize a deal, so Bazemore chose Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11205854/kent-bazemore-agrees-terms-atlanta-hawks

• Like 2

Seems feasible to me. Either that or Ferry had a plan B he was going to sign and needed an answer fast.

^That could also be the case.  Either way, I'm hoping it means we'll see another domino fall soon.  I like what we've done so far, but it'd be great to get another all-star or near all-star type of talent on the roster, because I see a lot of opportunity in the East this season.

Does the quote below suggest a trade to anyone else?  To me, saying we really want to get a deal done is one thing, but the fact that Bazemore's side had to explain the "delicate timing" of this deal to the Lakers seems to suggest other moving parts, i.e., maybe we needed to know we had Bazemore in the fold before we were willing to pull the trigger on another deal, or maybe on another signing.  Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11205854/kent-bazemore-agrees-terms-atlanta-hawks

I guess we will find out soon enough...

Does the quote below suggest a trade to anyone else? To me, saying we really want to get a deal done is one thing, but the fact that Bazemore's side had to explain the "delicate timing" of this deal to the Lakers seems to suggest other moving parts, i.e., maybe we needed to know we had Bazemore in the fold before we were willing to pull the trigger on another deal, or maybe on another signing. Thoughts?

I hope that there is something to this and that perhaps, just perhaps, that last minute desperate offer to Pau was actually a calculated ruse to place some heat on the Lakers in some way. Maybe with the threat of a team offering him a contract was enough to get them to focus on getting something done with him (trade to bulls) and having to let Bazemore go.

Well, LA still had Pau Gasol's rights at the time. I'm not sure if they have renounced him yet for the Lin deal or not but that is really what this stuff is all about.

Hawks probably want to sign Bazemore with the BAE and not Cap Space. It is looking more and more likely that it will be with Cap Space.

• Moderators

I just wonder what position is being targeted if that is what this is about... Is it possible we could be involved in the Minne/Cleveland talks somehow? Waiters would be a nice 6th man/potential starter. New York having a yard sale? Not sure if anyone of value. Detroit willing to SnT Monroe? Is Horf or Sap gone. We somehow helping Chicago? They want Pau. Bulls owner is said to be cheap and they have Jimmy Butler... Maybe we take on Boozer's expiring deal too. Not ideal, but Horf/Boozer/Sap/Butler/Teague isn't bad. Pau Gasol, Jeff Green, or maybe even we help clean up Orlando's overload at 2/3 guys. Help me, help you situation. Too many possibilities... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Waiters does not impress me as the personality type that DF has consistently been pursuing. I don't pretend to know a lot here, but the few comments I've seen suggest that he's very conscious of his stats line. It's good to be driven, don't get me wrong, but he seemed to me to cross the line into all-about-me territory.

Well, LA still had Pau Gasol's rights at the time. I'm not sure if they have renounced him yet for the Lin deal or not but that is really what this stuff is all about.

Hawks probably want to sign Bazemore with the BAE and not Cap Space. It is looking more and more likely that it will be with Cap Space.

Hawks can also sign Bazemore with the Room MLE after we make a bunch of other moves. So, we've got more options than I initially thought about.

I'd say the crappy nature of our offseason so far suggests a trade better be in the works. I'm through believing Ferry has something up his sleeves.

Sorry to infest the thread with my pessimism. Yall carry on.

• Premium Member

I would love to see something happen but I believe that Ferry has went into panic mode. I believe that he was interested in Deng and lowballed him in negotiations and the Deng camp moved on and thus the last minute offer to Gasol, I have this on pretty good authority. He has signed bottom feeder players.

He has to come out of this summer with something above fringe players (and these are decent signings for backups) or we are at laughing stock status again. If the fan base doesn't believe there is a legitimate push for improvement then he is in trouble.

• Like 2

I would love to see something happen but I believe that Ferry has went into panic mode. I believe that he was interested in Deng and lowballed him in negotiations and the Deng camp moved on and thus the last minute offer to Gasol, I have this on pretty good authority. He has signed bottom feeder players.

He has to come out of this summer with something above fringe players (and these are decent signings for backups) or we are at laughing stock status again. If the fan base doesn't believe there is a legitimate push for improvement then he is in trouble.

Luol Deng, the small forward that has been rumored and reported to have been talking with the Atlanta Hawks since discussions began league-wide July 1st, has reportedly moved on from Atlanta over a disagreement over money, reports the most excellent Sam Amick of USA Today on Twitter Saturday.

It stands to reason that Deng was likely being offered the same reported 11 million dollar salary slot offered by the Hawks Friday night to Pau Gasol, according to a report from Yahoo! Sports' Adreian Wojnarowski.

Deng turned down three years and 30 million dollars from Cleveland so speculation would be that he is wanting much more and Pau turned down two year, 23 million and three years and 29 million dollars from the Lakers, per Dave McMenamin from ESPN Los Angeles.

From this we can gather that Atlanta's reported 11 million dollar salary slot being offered is too little for Deng, who is likely seeking to get more out of Phoenix, Miami, Dallas, et al. for their leftover cap space after they struck out on LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. That Deng is bristling over that level of salary from Atlanta means he has to be looking for something in the three year, 39-45 million dollar range. It's also possible that the Hawks have only offered two seasons and Deng wants more, meaning more dollars over time than a two year offer could provide.

Given his declining skills and use already on his frame, it seems an unwise investment to go beyond the reported level the Hawks are offering, and you could make the statistical case, as we've done on the site, that even at that level it's too high.

As for Gasol, there is likely a different goal in mind, the goal of both getting paid and challenging for a title, which is why Chicago and San Antonio have been most prominently mentioned in concert with Gasol's name.

According to our friend Marc Stein at ESPN, Deng has in fact moved closer to the Miami Heat to team up with newly maxed Chris Bosh and a soon-to-be re-signed Dwyane Wade.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/7/12/5893407/2014-nba-free-agent-rumors-luol-deng-atlanta-hawks-miami-heat

Edited by JayBirdHawk