Why is John Jenkins still on this team?

Bonkers

• Premium Member

^This. Couldnt see the game but the boxscore told me the offense was running terrible. I would see how he plays next couple games before casting any judgement. He is still shaking off rust.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Timely tweet from Vivlamore: "John Jenkins said he was only cleared for full contact a week ago.... time limit of five minutes per quarter."

I don't care how he does in summer league. Need to, at minimum, see him in preseason before reaching any decidedly negative conclusions. He can fill it up, and I believe he will.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Make no mistake. WAS players routinely were money shooting over him. The guy has to make them pay at the other end to compensate, and he even seemed kinda hesitant at times to load up and fire. But yeah... I think conventional wisdom says you cut a guy some slack after that kind of time away from the court, and not just for this game. Mainly, you just want to see his conditioning improve from game to game in July... no real expectations until October, imo.

• Like 1

Dolf, I could see that happening. I understand Jenkins was injured and will take some time to come back to normal. I like Jenkins as a spot up shooter but as for Patterson eventually taking over Jenkins' job; Patterson is the more complete player. He looked really good today defensively and offensively. Can shoot anywhere and slash. I noticed that Patterson and Payne already have some decent chemistry with each other.

Because when he was healthy as a rookie he showed this ability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KitRRAiP9kk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eE_bVyYtB4

people give up on young players so easily its ridiculous

• Like 3

Dolf, I could see that happening. I understand Jenkins was injured and will take some time to come back to normal. I like Jenkins as a spot up shooter but as for Patterson eventually taking over Jenkins' job; Patterson is the more complete player. He looked really good today defensively and offensively. Can shoot anywhere and slash. I noticed that Patterson and Payne already have some decent chemistry with each other.

Yep I'm sure that Jenkins is being held back by his recovery but even healthy he's not the same level of athlete and all around player that Patterson is. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What do you expect from a Danny Ferry draft pick.

From a 23rd pick? You hope he can crack the rotation at any point in his career. If not, you don't fret.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

Late first round (21-30) only 6% of picks become stars, and less than half even make it to role player caliber stats.

• Like 2

So y'all jump on Jenkins hate wagon but Schröder went 2/13.

I'm not bashing either because I like the youngen's but at least critique JJ when he's at full strength, being when he is 100% ready.

Jenkins shots looked AWFUL! But beyond that he offers us NOTHING else and if he can't shoot he's got no business in the league. 

Schröder at least looked pretty decent shooting the ball and he looked great finding his teammates and getting by his man. Plus he played good defense as well. 

I'm not hating on Jenkins but I have no doubt in my mind that with Bazemore and Patterson in the fold that he's done as a Hawk since we need his roster spot. 

• Like 2