• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Payne being groomed to play C

Admin

Exactly^^

They (and by they I mean the Ignorant to anything Atlanta related) had Payne at C yet Moose took the opening tip off. Now I know position doesnt matter for tip offs but one would assume that with Paynes vertical and length if he WAS the starting center then he no question should have been taking the tip. That was my first observation about his status.

Secondly, its painstakingly obvious that we dont abide by C and PF rules. We play Bigs who can cross match both positions on offense and defense. Example: despite the fact Millsap is only 6-8 and Pero is 7ft, Sap matched up on Hibbert and Pero guarded West in the playoffs. So while we get stuck on height and weight the staff is looking at skillset and attributes.

Ferry even stated last off season that he wouldt sign a 7 footer who was a stiff just because he had size, he'd rather have a skilled 6'10 guy who had game and was mobile

Lastly. I see many talk about the need for size etc, but I cant help but notice that todays NBA isnt like it used to be. Every position is smaller than it used to be (before teams used a players height with shoes for measurements) and the game is more open with PFs and some Cs knocking down three's. There are not many (like less than 5) true low post threats in the league and outside of an aging Duncan none of those guys are contending for titles. Its a PG and SF driven league right now.

So if they decide play or "list" Payne at C I wouldnt worry put too much into it. We play a frontcourt, two wings, and a PG. Positions are inconsequential

• Like 1

Tom Izzo FTW. Izzo is the best coach in college basketball. Better than Calapari and K. Go Sparty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BULL#%^*!!!!!! Coach K is still the best in the business. Don't get it twisted

Calipari is a good recruiter, much like Saban in football. I dont consider Calipari an Xs and Os kind of guy. He lets his players showcase their individual talents which are usually a greater collection than the opponents

Calipari is a good recruiter, much like Saban in football. I dont consider Calipari an Xs and Os kind of guy. He lets his players showcase their individual talents which are usually a greater collection than the opponents

Saban and Calipari are both good in that they're very, very likely doing illegal stuff to get recruits. 

Could it be that it's just summer league and they want him and moose to start? Maybe he's not being groomed for playing center they just want guys projected to be on the roster in the line up?

I'll wait for a coach or GM to say he's projected to be a five. Everyone reads way too much into summer league every year.

Everything I have heard from Coach Bud is that the 4/5 are pretty interchangeable positions in this system. So whether we call him a 4 or 5 it doesn't matter. He can play both positions and gives shooting range/defense. That's why they drafted him I think. His versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban and Calipari are both good in that they're very, very likely doing illegal stuff to get recruits. 

As are all the top guys. Is Coach K clean?

Cal is the man! Quick everyone homer their opinion on the best coach :).

Edited by RWF

Your trippin...Eddie Sutton 4 life!!! Belie dat!

Oh wait no...Pat Summitt...she scares the bejesus out of me. If she wants me to stand at the top of the key and distribute, ill do it. Hang out in the corner for a sniper-like 3 ill do it, ride the pine, ill do it...ill just do it ...

Edited by Spud2Nique

I like the idea of him playing some 5 but definitely needs to improve his base strength. Good against certain matchups.

No way we drop Pero this year in favour of Payne at the 5. As much as Pero had a terrible shooting performance in the playoffs, I was actually impressed with his positioning, post D and strength against Hibbert and at times West. He actually did a really good job bodying those two out which isn't an easy task. 

I think this gets overlooked because of his poor shooting. With his extended minutes in the second half of the season it looked like he finally got comfortable at the NBA level and wasn't just a spot shooter.

Still wouldn't be opposed to signing another big. Perhaps Brand. Is Jason Smith a free agent? He's the odd man out with the Asik trade. He'd be cheap and serviceable.

I like the idea of him playing some 5 but definitely needs to improve his base strength. Good against certain matchups.

No way we drop Pero this year in favour of Payne at the 5. As much as Pero had a terrible shooting performance in the playoffs, I was actually impressed with his positioning, post D and strength against Hibbert and at times West. He actually did a really good job bodying those two out which isn't an easy task. 

I think this gets overlooked because of his poor shooting. With his extended minutes in the second half of the season it looked like he finally got comfortable at the NBA level and wasn't just a spot shooter.

Still wouldn't be opposed to signing another big. Perhaps Brand. Is Jason Smith a free agent? He's the odd man out with the Asik trade. He'd be cheap and serviceable.

The two bolded are things Payne doesn't have for the PF position much less NBA centers. Anyone saying Payne can play center is probably on the boat that Coach Bud can coach Josh Smith into a great decision maker. While it's ideal, it's highly unlikely. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Recruiting is the single most important thing a college coach does so I wouldn't minimize that.  As an aside, I think that is the single biggest favor Lebron James ever did for Calipari:  get all the young guys thinking about how their chances are enhanced by forming super teams.  Now you have more concentration of talent than I can remember and for anyone who admires James his endorsing Calipari just further thrusts that notion of putting together super teams at UK.  Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. are all looking to take advantage of this as well, just not to the same extreme.  

Anyone who thinks Coach K is some different animal who works with a lesser talent pool needs to learn a bit more about the guy and stop underselling him as a recruiter.

1994 Recruiting Class - 3 McDonald's All-Americans

1997 Recruiting Class - 3 McDonald's All-Americans

1999 Recruiting Class - 4 McDonald's All-Americans

2002 Recruiting Class - 4 McDonald's All-Americans

2005 Recruiting Class - 3 McDonald's All-Americans

2006 Recruiting Class - 3 McDonald's All-Americans

2007 Recruiting Class - 3 McDonald's All-Americans

etc.

• Premium Member

The two bolded are things Payne doesn't have for the PF position much less NBA centers. Anyone saying Payne can play center is probably on the boat that Coach Bud can coach Josh Smith into a great decision maker. While it's ideal, it's highly unlikely.

I think it would be wise if we let Payne play a season or two before we make definitive statements on what he can and can't do. The same guy we see today is not going to be the same guy we see at the end of the season and next season most likely.

If Ben Wallace played championship level C at his size, I don't think it's a stretch to say Payne could, at some point way down the line of course. Everything doesn't have to be there for a traditional C, the most important things are changing shots without fouling, maintining defensive position on the block, and throwing caution to the wind when rebounding. I kinda want Brand back because I think his tutelage showed in Pero and Sap. Shouldn't be any different with Payne. A 4" wingspan advantage over Al is impressive, too.

And in college, I'm taking Larry Brown all day.

Edited by benhillboy

If Ben Wallace played championship level C at his size, I don't think it's a stretch to say Payne could, at some point way down the line of course. Everything doesn't have to be there for a traditional C, the most important things are changing shots without fouling, maintining defensive position on the block, and throwing caution to the wind when rebounding. I kinda want Brand back because I think his tutelage showed in Pero and Sap. Shouldn't be any different with Payne. A 4" wingspan advantage over Al is impressive, too.

And in college, I'm taking Larry Brown all day.

ben1.jpg

Adreian-Payne.jpg

Im just saying lol. 

Ben Wallace has a strong base and lower body, that why he could guard centers like Shaq. AP not so much - he may yet get there but it'll take time.

Ben Wallace has a strong base and lower body, that why he could guard centers like Shaq. AP not so much - he may yet get there but it'll take time.

Yeah Ben was built to play center. Payne is built as far as height and weight as far as I'm concerned but he needs to add lower body strength.....Which is possible and maybe necessary period wheather he plays center or not to say the least.