• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

"Playoff Teague" vs the East Point Guards

JTB

Lately I've spoken a lot about Teague on the squawk...,believe me I'm not crazy over dude but I can be! If we can look into the future for a moment....

Assuming Teague sticks to his word and bring "playoff Teague ALL next season" he would arguably be the 2nd or 3rd best pg on the east and maybe first depending on roses health (and no I'm not kidding)

ATTENTION: look at this list below of ranked east point guards with the mindset of "playoff Teague" bringing it to the court ALL next season.

1. Rosé (ONLY if healthy)

2. Rondo (we will see what he looks like as his teams best player for a full year)

3. Playoff Teague

If we get playoff Teague all next season or the majority of the year. I honestly think Teague is hands down top 3 with the possibility of number being 2nd best. Let's continue....

4. Lowry (honestly I think dudes just an over aggressive guard, it just paid off this time in his career)

5.Kyrie (offense skills are ridiculous but he's a terrible defender however that may change with lebron on court)

6. Kemba (he doesn't get the respect he deserves)

7. Wall (I think this dude is the most overrated pg in the nba right now..he should be lower)

8. Deron Williams (he's garbage now)

9. George Hill (garbage player for the pacers)

10. Chalmers (another garbage player)

Conclusion:

Ranks 4-10 "playoff Teague" IN MY OPINION is far better than these guys on their best night. I only see kyrie as a real challenger between 4-10. Another thing I don't buy into the hype of d rose he has to finish the season for me to believe in him.

Point I'm making is that "playoff Teague" has elite ability hands down...at this point I'm just hoping "playoff Teague" really shows up cause it will mean great things for our hawks when he does.

Not saying they should be ranked but I always liked Calderon and Payton looks to be very promising. I'm not a Wall fan either. Rondo has a whole lot to prove: is he really a malcontent, is he capable of developing a jumper, and can he stay healthy?

• Moderators

I think Lowry is being underrated here.  He was so much better than Teague last season that it is unreasonable to expect Teague to catch him unless you are counting on both major development for Teague and major regression for Lowry.  I think Wall and Irving are being underrated and with Deron it is purely a question of health.  He is still highly productive in the minutes he does play - just no longer reliable healthwise the last couple seasons.  

Michael Carter-Williams is an up-and-comer who deserves mention on this list in the East and guys like Brandon Knight are on the same level for sure as someone like Mario Chalmers.

My pre-season projection for these guys for their PER and WS/48 if reasonably healthy:

Rose

Lowry

Irving (expecting a big bounceback here)

Wall

Rondo

Teague

Kemba

Deron

Calderon

Carter-Williams

Knight

Jennings

Hill

Payton

Chalmers

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Teague certainly has the physical talent to play with any pg, but that is not the problem.  Michael Jordan has always said if your a NBA player the talent is there, the mental part of the game is what separates players.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I miss read the title.  I thought you meant East Point.   Not Eastern Conference Point.no.gif

That being the case, here's how I have it.

1.  Carter-Williams.   Surprise.  Many people forget that he's was just a rookie. (17, 6, 6) = Damn!!

2.  Irving.  This guy doesn't play defense, but he's playing with Bron. Assists will go up and so will FG%.

3.  Wall.  Some say overrated... I say 19, 9, and 4... speaks otherwise.

4.  Playoff Teague.  I'm one of the biggest Teague fans, but I don't know if Playoff Teague will get to have our playoff offense.  I think we're changing it  to be more PNR like.  So Assists go up, PPG goes down.

5., 6, 7.  Kemba, Calderon & Deron.  Deron can go up depending on his ankles. Calderon + Melo = Lots of open looks and assists. Kemba is not a PG but he's a very talented player.

8.  Lowry.  I love this guy but I think last year was a bit of a contract year.

9.  Brandon Knight.  With Parker, Mayo and Zaza and Jason Kidd coaching, he will see improvement. '

10.  Rose.  Even if the explosion is back, he's not going to get assists like these other guys. The day of the Iso player is over.

11.  Brandon Jennings/DJ Augustin.  If Detroit can move Jennings, Augustin will shine.  If not, this is where Jennings fall.

12.  Napier/Chalmers.  Did King James give Miami a favor?  I think so.. saying we need Napier was one of the best things that they could have done.  He will have to wait his turn though.

13.  Elfrid Payton.  I know I got everybody in front of him and he could be as good as #5... but I just think he will have growing pains do to lack of talent.

Irving is extremely overrated.

Rose- If healthy

Wall

Rondo

Lowry

Teague

Top 5 in East I put Teague 5 because he needs to prove it but I could see him top 3 in the East.

Extremely overrated? He's barely old enough to drink, and he was the MVP of the All star game. Haha... That's just dumb... Lol

I came, I saw, I LOL'd at that ranking order.

I'd like to re-visit this thread around the all-star break just for giggles.

That's cool just keep in mind that these rankings are based solely on east point guards....I too can't wait to revisit this thread once the season gets to all star break.

• Premium Member

I miss read the title.  I thought you meant East Point.   Not Eastern Conference Point.no.gif

That being the case, here's how I have it.

1.  Carter-Williams.   Surprise.  Many people forget that he's was just a rookie. (17, 6, 6) = Damn!!

2.  Irving.  This guy doesn't play defense, but he's playing with Bron. Assists will go up and so will FG%.

3.  Wall.  Some say overrated... I say 19, 9, and 4... speaks otherwise.

4.  Playoff Teague.  I'm one of the biggest Teague fans, but I don't know if Playoff Teague will get to have our playoff offense.  I think we're changing it  to be more PNR like.  So Assists go up, PPG goes down.

5., 6, 7.  Kemba, Calderon & Deron.  Deron can go up depending on his ankles. Calderon + Melo = Lots of open looks and assists. Kemba is not a PG but he's a very talented player.

8.  Lowry.  I love this guy but I think last year was a bit of a contract year.

9.  Brandon Knight.  With Parker, Mayo and Zaza and Jason Kidd coaching, he will see improvement. '

10.  Rose.  Even if the explosion is back, he's not going to get assists like these other guys. The day of the Iso player is over.

11.  Brandon Jennings/DJ Augustin.  If Detroit can move Jennings, Augustin will shine.  If not, this is where Jennings fall.

12.  Napier/Chalmers.  Did King James give Miami a favor?  I think so.. saying we need Napier was one of the best things that they could have done.  He will have to wait his turn though.

13.  Elfrid Payton.  I know I got everybody in front of him and he could be as good as #5... but I just think he will have growing pains do to lack of talent.

#8.  Rondo = If he stays in the East. I think that without weapons, Rondo is not going to be as good as the others.   He's not a natural scorer but he is a pure PG.

• Premium Member

You do know that "regular season Teague" was better than "playoff Teague", right? Playoff Teague just shot the ball more. His overall play wasn't better.

No way would I want Teague shooting 39% FG and 33% 3FG, like he did in the playoffs.

Regular Season Teague was more efficient.. especially with Healthy Horf.  However, Playoff Teague damaged the defense more.  He made the defense have to change their gameplan... which always bodes well in team ball.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You do know that "regular season Teague" was better than "playoff Teague", right? Playoff Teague just shot the ball more. His overall play wasn't better.

No way would I want Teague shooting 39% FG and 33% 3FG, like he did in the playoffs.

Most players see a drop in their shooting numbers in the playoffs due to the heightened defensive pressure and the intense game planning that goes on.  The difference is that Teague was a non-factor for much of the regular season and was constantly putting pressure on the defense during the playoffs (with a few times of fading into the background being the exception rather than the regular occurrence we saw in the regular season).

I have said it before, if Teague brings the intensity to the regular season that he did during the post-season then we will see his numbers go significantly up from the post-season shooting because teams won't be game-planning to take him away like Indiana did in the post-season and he won't be facing defensive challenges like Paul George night-in and night-out.

(For reference, Teague's .020 drop in TS% from regular to post-season last year is similar to what we saw out of Nique over his career.  Even most legends like Larry Bird drop their shooting %s in the playoffs.)

Edited by AHF

Regular Season Teague was more efficient.. especially with Healthy Horf.  However, Playoff Teague damaged the defense more.  He made the defense have to change their gameplan... which always bodes well in team ball.

So true. People have to quit using stats as crutches and put numbers into perspective.