• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Ferry stays on as GM...

Sothron

I don't have any issue. I like Ferry. I'm glad we aren't a large market right now so I don't have to listen to senseless non-stop coverage like if we were in LA and had a notorious owner. Thanks to unnecessary coverage of the irrelevant Ray Rice too.

Nothing wrong with you not having an issue.  However, will prospective FAgents have an issue?  Probably.  Therefore, as a Hawks fan, you kinda have to have an issue.

Doesn't the scout work for Ferry? He should've been fired immediately.

That's if we believe this mystery scout/non-scout/consultant and his/her actual/fictional report exists.

• Premium Member

Doesn't the scout work for Ferry? He should've been fired immediately.

Who knows.  Up to this point everyone is being very secretive.  

I think he's got to go regardless. As others have said, this WILL affect free agents and not just the elite ones. If Ferry stays, all that cap space and flexibility bs that Ferry loves to talk about will be as useless as tits on a (insert object). The only way for this franchise to move forward will be to fully clean house (like others, I do hope this doesn't affect Bud unless he's in on this idiocy too).  

It was wrong for the scout to associate Africans with being shady businessmen, but I guarantee you that worse stuff gets said on daily basis in the sports world. The Miami Dolphins GM straight up asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute and he kept his job for 4 more years until after the whole Martin/Incognito thing happened. I can only imagine what stuff has been said about "problem players" like Allen Iverson and JR Smith. I'm not defending Ferry or anyone else, but if this is as appalling as some people believe, then they may want to rethink supporting sports teams in general. I've heard plenty of comments about "fiery" Latino players in baseball, too. (Hello, Yunel!)

That's not entirely accurate @High5. I HATE to defend Ireland as I can't stand the guy, but context is everything. And it's what I'm hoping will be the saving grace for Ferry here, as I'm hoping he isn't really a racist and/or a moron.

And they did come calling. During the combines Dez Bryant was interviewed by many teams, including the Miami Dolphins.

This is where it gets interesting. For you see, Dez Bryant’s parents are not your typical parents. Now, I’m not saying they have to be the Cleavers from Leave It To Beaver , but these parents were not just not model citizens, they were what you’d call the bottom of the barrel.

According to Dan LeBatard, the questions asked of Dez Bryant by Jeff Ireland reveal quite a bit about his parents, and the context of the question regarding his mother. The questions go like this.

Ireland: What does your dad do?

Bryant: Pimp

Ireland: Mom?

Bryant: Works for dad.

Ireland: She’s a prostitute?

Bryant: No, she helps him with other stuff.

Whoa! So, the question here shouldn’t be why did Ireland ask Bryant if his mother was a prostitute, it really should be, why the hell did he apologize? I’m sorry, but if you say otherwise, you’re just a fool.

Someone tells me their father’s a pimp, and says their mother works for their father, and the NATURAL question that comes to mind is, SHE A HO?

And while Dez Bryant answered no to the question (of course, he now denies the other questions were asked, but I’m not buying that BS), the question still remains, is she?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/388284-maybe-dez-bryants-mother-is-a-ho-how-context-clears-jeff-ireland

I think this will blow over pretty quick with FAs and such. NBA circles know Danny isn't an overt racist. Show these guys some money and their so called morals and principles fly out the window. Winning will cure all of this.

You're probably right... we'll just go back to being the same middling team that top FAs don't consider just because they don't want to play here and/or over-pay middle tier ones like Deng. Same as usual. That's so much better than them not coming because they believe that Ferry is a racist...

The only level of winning that will remove the stain of this fiasco, in my opinion, is no less than getting to the ECFs. 

Edited by Mdizzle5

That's not entirely accurate @High5. I HATE to defend Ireland as I can't stand the guy, but context is everything. And it's what I'm hoping will be the saving grace for Ferry here, as I'm hoping he isn't really a racist and/or a moron.

I remember hearing a lot about that story and that's the first time I've heard that version of the conversation. That guy was getting destroyed on NFL Live, Around the Horn, PTI, and everywhere else. Then he apparently apologized and I never heard about it again. My mistake for having the facts wrong -- assuming those are the facts. 

I remember hearing a lot about that story and that's the first time I've heard that version of the conversation. That guy was getting destroyed on NFL Live, Around the Horn, PTI, and everywhere else. Then he apparently apologized and I never heard about it again. My mistake for having the facts wrong -- assuming those are the facts. 

That's the truth to it. Unfortunately he was found guilty in the court of public opinion before all of the facts came out. Today people aren't concerned with facts, they are only looking to try and vilify someone. 

If you do a search for what I posted, you'll find a lot of instances of it being discussed. There's literally hundreds of posts on my big Dolphins forum where it was discussed. I can assure you that is the version of events and not some wacky "is your mom a hooker" out of nowhere story that the media tried to pass off.

ferry's call was recorded, so people can hear his comments if it ever gets out.

There will still be questions about whether or not he's reading from the page or using his own language. I honestly have a VERY hard time believing that a man who's spent his entire life in an industry dominated by black people would ever say something as odd and confusing as he did and have it be his own thoughts. 

On top of that it was in reference to a player whom it's widely known Ferry tried to trade for at the trade deadline and a guy who he's got to have ties to from Duke. I just find it very difficult to condemn Ferry here without a lot more evidence. 

There will still be questions about whether or not he's reading from the page or using his own language. I honestly have a VERY hard time believing that a man who's spent his entire life in an industry dominated by black people would ever say something as odd and confusing as he did and have it be his own thoughts. 

On top of that it was in reference to a player whom it's widely known Ferry tried to trade for at the trade deadline and a guy who he's got to have ties to from Duke. I just find it very difficult to condemn Ferry here without a lot more evidence. 

So Ferry's not racist he's just incompetent.  Much better?

So Ferry's not racist he's just incompetent.  Much better?

I don't think you can arrive at that conclusion either, without all the facts. All you can say at this point is that he made a mistake. It seems difficult to believe that he just read from the page without pre-reading or putting any thought into the words he was speaking, but my guess is that maybe he was intentionally reading them having already or about to give context to them. 

I don't think you can arrive at that conclusion either, without all the facts. All you can say at this point is that he made a mistake. It seems difficult to believe that he just read from the page without pre-reading or putting any thought into the words he was speaking, but my guess is that maybe he was intentionally reading them having already or about to give context to them. 

I just don't know how anyone would think that it was worth mentioning.  If a scout gave me a report that sounds pretty racist why would I feel the need to read it aloud.  It's Ferry job to gather the relevant intel but he's got to sift through that crap UNLESS he thought it was relevant.

I just don't know how anyone would think that it was worth mentioning.  If a scout gave me a report that sounds pretty racist why would I feel the need to read it aloud.  It's Ferry job to gather the relevant intel but he's got to sift through that crap UNLESS he thought it was relevant.

I don't know why he would feel the need to read it. Again that's why we need the full context of this and exactly what was said before and after. I'm not going to condemn Ferry right now for something that Gearon said as I don't find him to be trustworthy at all. Yet there are people coming out of the woodwork to defend Ferry saying this is very out of character for him. I tend to put my trust in guys who've known him for 30 years vs this snake in the grass who's trying to make a power play for the team ownership.

• Moderators

I have a hard time believing that Ferry didn't pre-read the material he would be reading outloud to ownership.  That would be like me reading a report I had never looked at to my board of directors.  I promise our CEO would never do that.  He would pre-read it and probably require people to give him additional data on 8 different points the document touches on so that he is prepared to answer questions on it.  I have a hard time thinking Ferry was that unprepared for this type of meeting with his bosses.

• Like 1

I have a hard time believing that Ferry didn't pre-read the material he would be reading outloud to ownership.  That would be like me reading a report I had never looked at to my board of directors.  I promise our CEO would never do that.  He would pre-read it and probably require people to give him additional data on 8 different points the document touches on so that he is prepared to answer questions on it.  I have a hard time thinking Ferry was that unprepared for this type of meeting with his bosses.

And yet he read it anyway. So then he's either:

A) A blatant and unashamed racist

B) A moron who doesn't pre-read things that he's going to read aloud with his ownership group.

C) Had a reason beyond 'A' for reading them. 

Everything we know about Ferry points towards 'C' being the likeliest of these possible reasons and yet there are those here who chose to ignore his history and rush to drive the nails into him. 

I don't know why he would feel the need to read it. Again that's why we need the full context of this and exactly what was said before and after. I'm not going to condemn Ferry right now for something that Gearon said as I don't find him to be trustworthy at all. Yet there are people coming out of the woodwork to defend Ferry saying this is very out of character for him. I tend to put my trust in guys who've known him for 30 years vs this snake in the grass who's trying to make a power play for the team ownership.

Ferry has owned up to reading it but he didn't offer any context to why he said it other than it being in a scouting report.  So in this day and age if someone calls you a racist you have to fight it because of the stigma it brings.  Ferry says that's not who he is and that's fine.  But then it speaks to incompetence.  For some reason he felt the need to casually read this.  So he either pulled a Ron Burgundy or he thought it was relevant.  Either way I just don't see how the fan base could be comfortable with Ferry anymore.

• Like 1

B) A moron who doesn't pre-read things that he's going to read aloud with his ownership group.

Everything we know about Ferry points towards 'C' being the likeliest of these possible reasons and yet there are those here who chose to ignore his history and rush to drive the nails into him. 

But he didn't offer a C.  His comments today point towards B.

• Moderators

I don't think C is actually the best explanation because if he had a point for reading those words there isn't a point he could have been making that could not have been made with both (a) much less offensive language and (b) much clearer language.

It seems to me the most realistic possibility is something less extreme than those statements:

D)  It didn't strike him as being that out there (when it should have) and he F'd up.  Sloppy work and lack of self-awareness rather than total incompetence or blatant and unashamed racism.

• Like 2