• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks earn 'C' grade for offseason from NBA.com

The Atlanta Hawks failed to make a huge splash in free agency this offseason and that is reflected in the offseason grade delivered to them by NBA.com. The Hawks earned a "C" after mostly fine tuning their existing roster over the summer.

Here is what NBA.com's Lang Whitaker had to say about the team:

Perhaps the most exciting move the Hawks have made since last season's trade deadline was the reintroduction of their classic "Pac-Man" logo. While they were briefly linked to some "bigger" names in the summer's free agency, for a second summer in a row the Hawks ended up not splashing out cash for an All-Star level piece. It seems clear that the Hawks plan to take their time building a roster that can play the versatile, uptempo style that Budenholzer prefers. The Hawks don't want to spend for the sake of spending, which is a financially viable way to construct your team, as long as ownership and fans have the patience necessary to watch something grow organically.

Baby steps are fine, but can the Hawks ever be anything more than a mid-level Eastern Conference playoff team without adding a superstar? Their greatest strength last season was their ability to play as a team and mix and match parts as needed due to injuries or match-ups. Building around players like Horford, Millsap, Teague and Korver are excellent options, but that core alone probably isn't going to get you a title.

Atlanta earned a B- for their frontcourt and backcourt and C's for their bench and defense. There highest grade came in the coaching department where Mike Budenholzer and his staff earned a B+.

The Hawks were a poor defensive team in 2014 especially after Horford was lost to injury. Even with Horford, they faced challenges on the perimeter where DeMarre Carroll was truly the only capable option. One thing to watch this season is if the presence of Thabo Sefolosha and Kent Bazemore can improve that situation. Atlanta still isn't going to be one of the top defensive teams but substantial improvement is possible if the roster can for the most part remain healthy.

Edited by Dolfan23
Cleaned up formatting

With everything else going on I think a "C" grade is pretty good.  Kudos to DF having to lure players here with all the crap going on. 

The grade is based on everything that happened before the drama, no?

• Premium Member

I would give us a B- probably. I like the signings and we get our all star C back too. The key thing is we didn't spend just too spend. I wish we could have landed Gasol, but the guys we got are on good deals.

It'll be interesting to see what happens because you do feel that Ferry/Bud were slowly building a team. They had confidence that they would be here for a few years and wanted to keep options open. Now that is all up in the air.

Is Ferry going to be able to see out his plan? At the very least, any new GM walks into a situation with some good flexibility. You also wonder if Bud has any say about Ferry staying or who our new GM might be if Ferry is gone(assuming he doesn't want do both).

A lot of uncertainty right now..

• Moderators

I would give us a B- probably. I like the signings and we get our all star C back too. The key thing is we didn't spend just too spend. I wish we could have landed Gasol, but the guys we got are on good deals.

It'll be interesting to see what happens because you do feel that Ferry/Bud were slowly building a team. They had confidence that they would be here for a few years and wanted to keep options open. Now that is all up in the air.

Is Ferry going to be able to see out his plan? At the very least, any new GM walks into a situation with some good flexibility. You also wonder if Bud has any say about Ferry staying or who our new GM might be if Ferry is gone(assuming he doesn't want do both).

A lot of uncertainty right now..

I don't think they give people points on this type of scorecard for having your injured players return the next season.  The grade is based on having the cap room and draft assets we did and ending up with Payne, Oscar, Sefalosha and Bazemore.  I think a C is very fair unless Payne turns out better than expected.