• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson on the Hawks Mess

That picture says a lot about the problems with the ASG era.  Our biggest star of most of this century - was a pretty boring guy.  He was a really good player, esp. in the first several years we had him, and did hit some big game winners.  Still, compared to say Jamal Crawford or even Josh Smith, was just not an exciting player or one that made people say "I really want to go see Joe Johnson tear em up tonight."  Joe was really good, just not great.

Instead, Josh was the main attraction of the Highlight Factory, but it is now closed with many of the jobs replaced by outsourcing to overseas workers.

A top 10 player in franchise history is a "clown" huh? And Hawks fans wonder why we as a fan base have a reputation as being a bad fan base.

My bad, I forgot about all the playoff games he won for us and the banners he put in the rafters. Apparently, good fans are supposed to be ok with treadmill teams that don't win shit. Seriously, F Joe. It's not like ASG was fighting over a superstar, just an iso-player that played crazy minutes and pissed his pants in the post-season.

The further Joe has gotten from Atlanta, the more I'm cool with him. I actually enjoyed following and watching him in Brooklyn. Half the time he humored me getting minutes eaten by Alan Anderson and his patented 0 FT attempt games, the other times he impressed me with his annual January All-Star push (at my boy Lance's expense), clutch shots, and a mean post game. Still view his swift and unceremonious departure as a historically joyous day in Hawks History.

Edited by benhillboy

My bad, I forgot about all the playoff games he won for us and the banners he put in the rafters. Apparently, good fans are supposed to be ok with treadmill teams that don't win shit. Seriously, F Joe. It's not like ASG was fighting over a superstar, just an iso-player that played crazy minutes and pissed his pants in the post-season.

Wow. How many banners did nique get us?

You can say that about EVERY PLAYER in this franchise's history, with the exception of the St. Louis Hawks guys.  Dominique, in all of his greatness, played in the playoffs in 8 years and in 11 playoff series.   His record:  3 - 8.  Matter of fact, let's go down the list of all of the franchise "greats".

Pettit:  8 - 8 . . . ( .500 winning percentage - 16 playoff series - 9 years )

Hagan:  8 - 8 . . . ( .500 winning percentage - 16 playoff series - 9 years )

Beaty:  5 - 7 . . . ( .416 winning percentage - 12 playoff series - 7 years )

******* NOTE:  The above players were all key cogs of the St. Louis Hawks *************

Dikembe:  2 - 3 . . ( .400 winning percentage - 5 playoff series - 3 years )

Willis:  4 - 6 . . . ( .400 winning percentage - 10 playoff series - 6 years )

Joe Johnson:  3 - 5 . . ( .375 winning percentage - 8 playoff series - 5 years )

Steve Smith:  3 - 5 . . ( .375 winning percentage - 8 playoff series - 5 years )

Blaylock:  4 - 7 . . . ( .363 winning percenage - 11 playoff series - 7 years )

Josh Smith: 3 - 6 . . . ( .333 winning percentage - 9 playoff series - 6 years )

Horford:  3 - 6 . . . ( .333 winning percentage - 9 playoff series - 6 years )  . . take off the 2012 loss to Boston if you want, because he came back hurt.   That would put him at 3 - 5 . . the same as JJ and Steve Smith

Doc Rivers:  3 - 6 . . ( .333 winning percentage - 9 playoff series - 6 years ) . . wasn't a starter in his first playoff appearance

Hudson:  3 - 7  . . . ( .300 winning percentage - 10 playoff series - 7 years )

Dominique: 3 - 8 . . ( .272 winning percentage - 11 playoff series - 8 years )

John Drew:  1 - 3 . . . ( .250 winning percentage - 4 playoff series - 3 years )

Roundfield:  1 - 5 . . . ( .200 winning percentage - 6 playoff series - 5 years )

Eddie Johnson:  1 - 5 . . ( .200 winning percentage - 6 playoff series - 5 years )

Pistol Pete:  0 - 3 . . . ( .000 winning percentage - 3 playoff series - 3 years )

Did I leave out someone?

There's your list folks.   And it's a great look at how futile this team has been over the years.  That's 6 decades of players that you see there ( 5 decades with the Hawks in Atlanta ).   And people want to diss Joe Johnson, when only Deke and Kevin Willis can say that they have a better playoff series winning percentage amongst ATLANTA Hawk players than JJ?

You'll never see a Milwaukee Bucks fan say "f-ck Michael Redd" or a Charlotte fan say "f-ck Larry Johnson".

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 4

• Admin

Before Joe came here we were literally the biggest joke in the league. He came and carried this team. He was awesome here. Yes, he was an ISO player but that was the style of ball we played. It was not his fault he received that contract but he was one of the best players in the Hawks franchise history.

• Like 3

People don't hate Joe Johnson.  They hated the fact that he'd be getting paid 23m and almost 25m his last two years.  People expect Lebron for that amount of money and sadly Joe Johnson wasn't even in the same hemisphere.  People always talk about how the Hawks NEED a super star player to come to Atlanta.  When Joe signed that contract we knew he was it.  We weren't going to be able to sign anyone better for 5 years and we knew he wasn't a super star.  If Joe Johnson was making something closer to 16m per I think we'd be talking and thinking about him a little differently. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

People don't hate Joe Johnson.  They hated the fact that he'd be getting paid 23m and almost 25m his last two years.  People expect Lebron for that amount of money and sadly Joe Johnson wasn't even in the same hemisphere.  People always talk about how the Hawks NEED a super star player to come to Atlanta.  When Joe signed that contract we knew he was it.  We weren't going to be able to sign anyone better for 5 years and we knew he wasn't a super star.  If Joe Johnson was making something closer to 16m per I think we'd be talking and thinking about him a little differently. 

People may have expected Lebron, but Lebron wasn't walking through that door.

Joe was paid what he was paid because he was our only... ONLY star.   We had a Bad GM (Sund) who made a bad mistake.  However, that doesn't take away from what Joe did while he was here.  The funny part is that many who hated Joe applauded Ferry Moving Marvin and Smoove for Nothing.   That tells me that Joe had shit to work with while he was here.

An Undersized C.  Poor PGs and the only real players that Joe had, the team got rid of... Crawford, Harrington, Bibby.

Our ownership drunk the Smoove Koolaid and they rode the cash cow until it was evident that he wasn't helping.

You can say that about EVERY PLAYER in this franchise's history, with the exception of the St. Louis Hawks guys.  Dominique, in all of his greatness, played in the playoffs in 8 years and in 11 playoff series.   His record:  3 - 8.  Matter of fact, let's go down the list of all of the franchise "greats".

Pettit:  8 - 8 . . . ( .500 winning percentage - 16 playoff series - 9 years )

Hagan:  8 - 8 . . . ( .500 winning percentage - 16 playoff series - 9 years )

Beaty:  5 - 7 . . . ( .416 winning percentage - 12 playoff series - 7 years )

******* NOTE:  The above players were all key cogs of the St. Louis Hawks *************

Dikembe:  2 - 3 . . ( .400 winning percentage - 5 playoff series - 3 years )

Willis:  4 - 6 . . . ( .400 winning percentage - 10 playoff series - 6 years )

Joe Johnson:  3 - 5 . . ( .375 winning percentage - 8 playoff series - 5 years )

Steve Smith:  3 - 5 . . ( .375 winning percentage - 8 playoff series - 5 years )

Blaylock:  4 - 7 . . . ( .363 winning percenage - 11 playoff series - 7 years )

Josh Smith: 3 - 6 . . . ( .333 winning percentage - 9 playoff series - 6 years )

Horford:  3 - 6 . . . ( .333 winning percentage - 9 playoff series - 6 years )  . . take off the 2012 loss to Boston if you want, because he came back hurt.   That would put him at 3 - 5 . . the same as JJ and Steve Smith

Doc Rivers:  3 - 6 . . ( .333 winning percentage - 9 playoff series - 6 years ) . . wasn't a starter in his first playoff appearance

Hudson:  3 - 7  . . . ( .300 winning percentage - 10 playoff series - 7 years )

Dominique: 3 - 8 . . ( .272 winning percentage - 11 playoff series - 8 years )

John Drew:  1 - 3 . . . ( .250 winning percentage - 4 playoff series - 3 years )

Roundfield:  1 - 5 . . . ( .200 winning percentage - 6 playoff series - 5 years )

Eddie Johnson:  1 - 5 . . ( .200 winning percentage - 6 playoff series - 5 years )

Pistol Pete:  0 - 3 . . . ( .000 winning percentage - 3 playoff series - 3 years )

Did I leave out someone?

There's your list folks.   And it's a great look at how futile this team has been over the years.  That's 6 decades of players that you see there ( 5 decades with the Hawks in Atlanta ).   And people want to diss Joe Johnson, when only Deke and Kevin Willis can say that they have a better playoff series winning percentage amongst ATLANTA Hawk players than JJ?

You'll never see a Milwaukee Bucks fan say "f-ck Michael Redd" or a Charlotte fan say "f-ck Larry Johnson".

And how many of those guys led to a years-long, embarrasing lawsuit between ownership, that still keeps free agents away?

You all are missing the point: the Hawks lost years of credibility (and Atlanta lost a hockey team) over this ONE contract.