Nique gets a promotion (and his statue announcement made official)

One of the best ways to a team pays homage to a star is to retiring his number. But an even bigger star, whose presence lives beyond the playing days and continues to make an impact in the organization, needs the rare honor of a statue outside the arena. That's exactly what the Atlanta Hawks are doing for Dominique Wilkins.

The team announced plans Monday to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Philips Arena by constructing a "larger-than-life-size statue" of Wilkins that will be unveiled on March 5, 2015. Wilkins has also been named as a special advisor to Hawks' CEO Steve Koonin and will continue to be the Vice President of Basketball for the Hawks. From the team:

The Atlanta Hawks and Philips Arena today announced plans to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Philips Arena and will construct a larger-than-life-size statue of Hawks' legend Dominique Wilkins. The statue, which is to be unveiled at a special ceremony at Philips Arena on March 5, 2015, will be a symbol of the Hawks' legend's success as a player both on and off the court. Details of the statue and the ceremony will be released at a later date.

Additionally, the Hawks have named Wilkins as Special Advisor to CEO Steve Koonin and signed the legend to a new long-term partnership. He will also continue in his role as Vice President of Basketball.

“Being honored by the great City of Atlanta and my beloved Hawks team is incredibly humbling, I have to thank all the fans, the community and the Hawks organization, in particular the Gearon family, Rutherford Seydel and Tommy Dortch, who have been close friends and important figures since the day I was drafted,” said Wilkins. “I look forward to continuing my partnership with the team and the City for many years ahead.”

"There is no player more deserving of such an honor than Dominique for his continued commitment to the Hawks and the City of Atlanta. Beyond his amazing play on the court during his Hall-of-Fame career, he has been an ambassador for this franchise and the city for three decades," Koonin said. "For all he has accomplished and continues to do for the Hawks franchise and the City of Atlanta, we are proud to bestow this permanent recognition of his legacy."

Is this partly an attempt to quell ill feelings toward the organization in wake of the Bruce Levenson email and the Danny Ferry conference call recording in which each made racist and offensive comments? Possibly in some respect, but ultimately Dominique Wilkins is the most beloved player in franchise history and a statue in his honor has been a long time coming.

Wilkins averaged 26.4 points while shooting 46.7 percent to go with 6.9 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 882 games for the Hawks. He's the franchise's all-time leader in games played (882), minutes (32,545), field goals (8,752) and points (23,292). He's also the 12th all-time leading scorer in NBA history (26,668 points). He was elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006 and had his No. 21 retired by the Hawks in 2001.

• Premium Member

For two years, Dortch has been trying to get approval from the Atlanta Hawks to construct a 15-foot tall statue of Wilkins that is to be placed in front of Philips Arena’s ticket window.

Wilkins is the most celebrated Atlanta Hawks player in the history of the franchise and deserving of this recognition, Dortch said in an interview Tuesday.

“I tried for two years, and there was a total road block,” Dortch said. “My position has always been that Dominique was the Hawks player who put Atlanta on the map as a major sports city for basketball. I could not believe that a team would not embrace someone like Dominique.”

Consider his stats: the 6’8” forward concluded his NBA career with 26,668 points – 23,292 of those with the Atlanta Hawks, the best record in the franchise. Wilkins also ranks second overall in steals for the team (1,245), fourth in rebounds (6,119), sixth in blocked shots (588) and seventh in assists (2,321).

Wilkins has been vice president of basketball for the Atlanta Hawks for more than eight years, and he has also has been the team’s analyst for its broadcast networks. But it was no secret to those close to the team that Ferry was trying to dim the spotlight that Wilkins had enjoyed as the public face of the Atlanta Hawks.

“Danny Ferry said he didn’t believe in statues,” said Dortch, who added one of the owners from outside of Atlanta (most likely Bruce Levenson) did not support the idea of a Wilkins’ statue.

http://saportareport.com/blog/2014/09/more-calls-for-hawks-gm-danny-ferry-to-step-down-as-focus-turns-to-star-dominique-wilkins/#sthash.lOHVMXO9.dpuf

There's a link between the announcement of this statue and everything that's going on, no doubt.  But...y'know, since this could potentially put Ferry in a bad light (heaven forbid...), let's just chalk up the negative stuff to lies and race baiting.  We'll just say the Atlanta Hawks organization has been working on something to honor Nique for a while.

• Like 1

There's a link between the announcement of this statue and everything that's going on, no doubt.  But...y'know, since this could potentially put Ferry in a bad light (heaven forbid...), let's just chalk up the negative stuff to lies and race baiting.  We'll just say the Atlanta Hawks organization has been working on something to honor Nique for a while.

Too many coincidences huh?

No expanded role or statue for Nique before all of this. Once the shyt hits the fan though, he gets an advisory role right next to the CEO, and his statue . . . with the other 2 guys ( Levenson and Ferry ) out of the picture?

Just too many coincidences, I guess.

• Like 1

I love Nique , and he certainly is deserving of a statue , but just what is his role with the Hawks ?? Is there something  he brings to the table that can help the Hawks lure potential free agents ( I think his stature certainly could help in this area ) or is his new title simply ceremonial ( a waste of his potential in my opinion ).

• Premium Member

Should be interesting. Koonin supports keeping Ferry (for now) and Nique doesn't care for Ferry at all (check his comments at media day). I'm guessing Nique will be a more prominent figure head and face for the franchise and probably knows that the candidates to purchase the franchise would all remove Ferry. Per CViv, Nique will still be doing play by play with Rathbun.

• Premium Member

Summary?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/29/5208584/hawks-begin-training-camp-with.html

Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins, who spent most of his career with the Hawks and now serves as a vice president and team broadcaster, was reluctant to give Ferry a vote of confidence.

"It's hard for people to forget," said Wilkins, who has expressed interest in having a stake in the team as part of any new ownership group. "I'm disturbed by anybody who makes those type of accusations, who has those type of views."

• Like 1

• Moderators

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/29/5208584/hawks-begin-training-camp-with.html

Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins, who spent most of his career with the Hawks and now serves as a vice president and team broadcaster, was reluctant to give Ferry a vote of confidence.

"It's hard for people to forget," said Wilkins, who has expressed interest in having a stake in the team as part of any new ownership group. "I'm disturbed by anybody who makes those type of accusations, who has those type of views."

Those are very harsh comments given the timing.  In the midst of a parade of people forgiving Ferry, Wilkins throws this into the mix?  I have to agree with your assessment that he wants Ferry gone.  

• Like 1

Those are very harsh comments given the timing. In the midst of a parade of people forgiving Ferry, Wilkins throws this into the mix? I have to agree with your assessment that he wants Ferry gone.

Not smart when everyone seems to be in damage control. Looks like they are choosing sides and a continued battle ensues. But he's been given license from somewhere. Easy to guess Gearons.
  • Like 1