• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks vs Spurs - Teague vs. Parker

sillent

• Moderators

Whatever he's got, a trip to Emory oughta clear it right on up.

Meanwhile, Pop deftly avoids making a Snap at Danny. The San An Express-News reporter couldn't keep himself from making one Crackle, though.

~lw3

• Like 1

Should be a good game. We have a puncher's chance if we can get them in foul trouble and slow Manu and Tony in the fourth. Without Kyle there's no shot though. The chess match between Pop and Bud is gonna be cool to watch.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I think you gotta go back and slowly read what he said as it's dead on accurate.  I like Teague but this has been the story on him all his life and it will never change. His assists are some of the most simple passes that you'll ever see. Parker makes some passes that you wonder how he even saw the guy. He may not be Chris Paul, but he's far ahead of Teague in terms of passing vision. 

That is true of Parker now, within the last few years.  The PG he is today isn't the guy he was his first 5-6 years. He is now entering his 13th season.  Took him awhile to become this Tony Parker.

That is true of Parker now, within the last few years.  The PG he is today isn't the guy he was his first 5-6 years. He is now entering his 13th season.  Took him awhile to become this Tony Parker.

He was never a combo guard like Teague though. He's never gonna put up eye popping assist numbers, but the passing vision has always been there. Guys just don't develop into having that when they didn't have it to begin with. 

I think you gotta go back and slowly read what he said as it's dead on accurate.  I like Teague but this has been the story on him all his life and it will never change. His assists are some of the most simple passes that you'll ever see. Parker makes some passes that you wonder how he even saw the guy. He may not be Chris Paul, but he's far ahead of Teague in terms of passing vision. 

No, I don't need to read slow in order to comprehend maybe that is something you should try. Parker is not a traditional PG and I have never seen him make these passes you claim he makes.

• Like 1

No, I don't need to read slow in order to comprehend maybe that is something you should try. Parker is not a traditional PG and I have never seen him make these passes you claim he makes.

Well if you are unable to comprehend exactly what the original quote was then you really should try reading slower, or reading it multiple times. I really want to help you with this issue here as I think it will help you to be a little less miserable on here.

Parker is more of a traditional, "true" PG.  He has elite passing ability and can see the floor clearly.  Teague is more of a combo guard.  He can run the PnR, but he is best when he is aggressive and attacks the hoop.  He tries to get his teammates involved, but he is a scoring guard first and foremost.  Defensively they are about the same.

See where @PSSSHHHRRR87 says that he's MORE of a traditional, "true" PG? He didn't say that he IS a traditional PG. Just that he's more of one than Teague is. 

Okay now you try reading that quote again. 

The Hawks haven't beaten the Spurs in a regular season game in San Antonio since Tim Duncan was drafted in 1997.

Dayum!  That's longer than some of our fans here have been alive. 

• Like 1

Well if you are unable to comprehend exactly what the original quote was then you really should try reading slower, or reading it multiple times. I really want to help you with this issue here as I think it will help you to be a little less miserable on here.

See where @PSSSHHHRRR87 says that he's MORE of a traditional, "true" PG? He didn't say that he IS a traditional PG. Just that he's more of one than Teague is. 

Okay now you try reading that quote again. 

Dayum!  That's longer than some of our fans here have been alive. 

Parker is not a traditional PG. I will continue to say it. That was my statement and I don't see why I should change it considering I did not quote anyone to start with when making that statement.

He was never a combo guard like Teague though. He's never gonna put up eye popping assist numbers, but the passing vision has always been there. Guys just don't develop into having that when they didn't have it to begin with.

That is true - TP has never been ever considered a combo guard.

Parker is not a traditional PG. I will continue to say it. That was my statement and I don't see why I should change it considering I did not quote anyone to start with when making that statement.

So it's just a random coincidence that your post was "Parker a traditional PG? LMAO" and that only one person mentioned that and that your quote doesn't actually work with what he said?   

I don't think he's in any danger saythat.gif

Haha but good points. Can you imagine Kawhi on this team? I think he could actually be enough to make us a legit finals contender. 

Just stop. You're getting my hopes up, Dolf.

Teague, Korver, Leonard, Sap, Big Al + our bench

Daaaaaaaaaang! 

• Like 1

So it's just a random coincidence that your post was "Parker a traditional PG? LMAO" and that only one person mentioned that and that your quote doesn't actually work with what he said?   

No, it is not random, but I didn't quote because I can read and comprehend. He says he is more of a traditional PG than Teague. My point is and was that Parker and traditional PG have no business in the same sentence, regardless; and no he really isn't more of a traditional PG than Teague. He isn't more of a traditional PG than Rose, Irving, etc.

Edited by MrMeltdown

For the record I don't think Parker is a "traditional" PG either. Hell, Manu and Boris are more PG than Tony.

Tony is more less the product of an outstanding, military-style operation where he is drilled relentlessly and put in the best positions to succeed, similar to the Patriots. Pop has maximized his strengths (dribbling, probing, driving, explosive end to end speed, exquisite finishing ability) while always having fits over the years over his shortcomings. He's never been an A defender and his jumper, while improved over the years, still isn't tight. He's made himself into a great player, but if drafted by half the other teams in the league his career wouldn't have been close to half as good. I'm not even sure if he'd be a great 6th man with his size or backup PG with his average defensive pressuring.

The only thing that separates him from Barbosa, Aaron Brooks types is his decade of grooming in The System. He, Rondo, and Chalmers all won championships early in their careers mostly because of what surrounded them. I enjoy watching the Spurs considerably more when Patty comes in. I think Parker and Teague are very similar: Parker has the better intangibles due to his surroundings, Jeff can jump much higher.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

You guys are missing the point that Dolf is trying to get across... All I said is that he is "more of a" traditional PG than Teague is. Parker isn't even close to John Stockton, but he's closer to Stockton than Teague is... lawd, some of y'all are thick headed... lmao. In comparing Parker to Teague, yes, Parker is the better PG in the sense of court vision, passing ability, and setting up a play.

• Like 1

Parker has always been more of a scoring point that can drive and kick due to his relentless ability to get in the paint at will and FINISH forcing entire defenses to collapse. He's never been a table setter though, that duty has typically been left to whoever is occupying the mid and low post plus Manu.

Let's not undersell his elite penetrative abilities (mind out of gutter) though. His combination of speed and quickness to go along with him being able turn direction on a dime while keeping the ball alive has put a myriad of big men on skates without him ever possessing a consistent jumper like Nash forcing them to stay up or a sexy crossover. Couple that with finishing with an assortment of reverses with either hand that can deflect into the rim off of any angle on the backboard and a floater that he can get off with even two 7 footers arms draped over him and you should get the sense that Parker is one bad man.

The assists are basic that don't require any form of vision, when you see you've drawn 4 people into the paint you know that Green or Bowen are sprinting hard to that corner 3, Manu is setting up at the titty to shoot or survey and Timmy is rumbling down the middle as the trailer filling space. That's the system, you can throw a pass with your eyes closed in a general direction and know that someone is there because you're not the one who is going to face a court martial for throwing passes with your eyes closed, whoever wasn't in their spot will.

• Like 1

You guys are missing the point that Dolf is trying to get across... All I said is that he is "more of a" traditional PG than Teague is. Parker isn't even close to John Stockton, but he's closer to Stockton than Teague is... lawd, some of y'all are thick headed... lmao. In comparing Parker to Teague, yes, Parker is the better PG in the sense of court vision, passing ability, and setting up a play.

The point I will continue to make is that I disagree. I have never seen Parker display this court vision and passing ability that you speak of. Maybe setting up plays because he has been running the same system for years.

Lastly, this notion that court vision and passing ability is exclusive to PG's or makes one a more traditional PG simply because they have it is not true and does not make sense. Lebron and several other players that are not PG's probably have better vision than Teague, Parker, Irving, etc. So, does that mean they are more traditional PG's, which was the original statement?

Edited by MrMeltdown

forest-for-trees.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

The point I will continue to make is that I disagree. I have never seen Parker display this court vision and passing ability that you speak of. Maybe setting up plays because he has been running the same system for years.

Lastly, this notion that court vision and passing ability is exclusive to PG's or makes one a more traditional PG simply because they have it is not true and does not make sense. Lebron and several other players that are not PG's probably have better vision than Teague, Parker, Irving, etc. So, does that mean they are more traditional PG's, which was the original statement?

And I understand your point and no one is saying that Parker is traditional. But Parker does makes some brilliant passing plays that Teague couldn't even dream of.

Court vision, passing ability, and setting up a play are qualities you look for in a PG, but they aren't exclusive to PG's. Manu is a better passer than 75% of PG's in the league. But they are qualities that are viewed specifically on PG's. Manu being an excellent passer is considered more of a plus to his game, not a fulfillment in the job description.

• Like 1