The Atlanta Hawks are 28th in the League in Rebounds Per Game

Bonkers

Yeah because it was rebounding that cost us last night, not the fact that we couldn't hit FTs and Kyle Korver was cold as ice and the team looked disinterested throughout the 2nd half.

Huh? We got out rebounded 44-56, with Boston's frontcourt accounting for 16 offensive rebounds. @Dolfan23 those are 16 second chance opportunities that are unacceptable from any basketball team defensively. That's were we lost the game. Players go cold offeslnsively and miss free throws every once in a while, but there's no excuse for giving up 16 offensive boards. If shots aren't falling, your defense should take over and win the game. The Hawks failed to rebound and thus failed to defensively win the game. Horford and Sap need to box out.

Hand down.. Man down..

• Like 1

Huh? We got out rebounded 44-56, with Boston's frontcourt accounting for 16 offensive rebounds. @Dolfan23 those are 16 second chance opportunities that are unacceptable from any basketball team defensively. That's were we lost the game. Players go cold offeslnsively and miss free throws every once in a while, but there's no excuse for giving up 16 offensive boards. If shots aren't falling, your defense should take over and win the game. The Hawks failed to rebound and thus failed to defensively win the game. Horford and Sap need to box out.

Hand down.. Man down..

Huh? We lose rebounding almost every game and yet we win. What changed last night? We missed tons of FT's, Kyle couldn't make a shot to save his life and the team looked like it was asleep in the 2nd half. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not happy with 16 offensive boards but giving up 16 offensive boards and holding the opposition to 89 still makes our defense seem pretty damn good. Throw in that we lost the game and I'm really putting the blame on horrible shooting from the entire team except Horford. It's either that or we lost because of Pero's 2 missed shots. That must be it.

Huh? We lose rebounding almost every game and yet we win. What changed last night? We missed tons of FT's, Kyle couldn't make a shot to save his life and the team looked like it was asleep in the 2nd half.

They sure did look sleep, and that's why we gave up 16 offensive second chances last night. No team in the NBA can win that way. If I let you shoot and then hand you back the ball to shoot again, I will lose in the end. There's not enough possessions in a basketball game to recover from that @Dolfan23.

Hand down.. Man down..

• Like 1

They sure did look sleep, and that's why we gave up 16 offensive second chances last night. No team in the NBA can win that way. If I let you shoot and then hand you back the ball to shoot again, I will lose in the end. There's not enough possessions in a basketball game to recover from that @Dolfan23.

Hand down.. Man down..

Again.... this is nothing new and yet it hasn't affected our winning too much has it. An NBA team can't be good at every single thing and we're weak on the boards because we're undersized and yeah they don't always give the effort or be as physical as they need to be. But that's not why we lost last night. 

The road to success is always under construction. (Odd saying to end my post that has nothing to do with rebounding... just like yours)

• Like 1

But it's the trend that is the problem.  The Hawks have given up an average of 11.7 offensive rebounds per game.  Let's look back over the past couple of weeks, starting with the loss to the Pelicans:

17 OR to New Orleans  LOSS

5 OR to Washington

19 OR to Golden State

23 OR to Memphis LOSS

17 OR to Minn

16 OR to Boston LOSS

With the exception of the Washington game, the Hawks have been giving up well above their average lately.  There is definitely reason for concern.  Maybe it's just fatigue and focus.  

• Like 2

Again.... this is nothing new and yet it hasn't affected our winning too much has it. An NBA team can't be good at every single thing and we're weak on the boards because we're undersized and yeah they don't always give the effort or be as physical as they need to be. But that's not why we lost last night.

The road to success is always under construction. (Odd saying to end my post that has nothing to do with rebounding... just like yours)

Have you noticed that our defensive rebounding average when compared to our opponents isn't bad at all. We average 32.6 per game while our opponent averages 31.9 per game, which is pretty balanced. But offensive rebounding tells a story of mental lapses, bad positioning, and soft play down low by our frontcourt. We give up 11.7 offensive boards per game because players aren't crashing to the boards to help. My god, the Celtics are ranked 21st in the league in offensive and defensive rebounding. There's no excuse for our team to get out-rebonded by Jared Sullinger. The dudes 6'9 for crying out loud. He had 15 total rebounds last night with 5 of them being offensive. No excuse. Box out.

Yeah the last comment had nothing to do with the topic because its my Tapatalk signature. Lol

Hand down.. Man down..

• Like 1

Have you noticed that our defensive rebounding average when compared to our opponents isn't bad at all. We average 32.6 per game while our opponent averages 31.9 per game, which is pretty balanced. But offensive rebounding tells a story of mental lapses, bad positioning, and soft play down low by our frontcourt. We give up 11.7 offensive boards per game because players aren't crashing to the boards to help. My god, the Celtics are ranked 21st in the league in offensive and defensive rebounding. There's no excuse for our team to get out-rebonded by Jared Sullinger. The dudes 6'9 for crying out loud. He had 15 total rebounds last night with 5 of them being offensive. No excuse. Box out.

Yeah the last comment had nothing to do with the topic because its my Tapatalk signature. Lol

Hand down.. Man down..

I'm not excusing the poor rebounding, just saying it's not why we lost. 

Ah that makes sense with regard to your signature now as it made no sense regarding rebounding! lol

• Like 1

But it's the trend that is the problem. The Hawks have given up an average of 11.7 offensive rebounds per game. Let's look back over the past couple of weeks, starting with the loss to the Pelicans:

17 OR to New Orleans LOSS

5 OR to Washington

19 OR to Golden State

23 OR to Memphis LOSS

17 OR to Minn

16 OR to Boston LOSS

With the exception of the Washington game, the Hawks have been giving up well above their average lately. There is definitely reason for concern. Maybe it's just fatigue and focus.

Coincides with Thabo going down.

• Moderators

But it's the trend that is the problem.  The Hawks have given up an average of 11.7 offensive rebounds per game.  Let's look back over the past couple of weeks, starting with the loss to the Pelicans:

5 OR to Washington

19 OR to Golden State

23 OR to Memphis LOSS

17 OR to Minn

16 OR to Boston LOSS

With the exception of the Washington game, the Hawks have been giving up well above their average lately.  There is definitely reason for concern.  Maybe it's just fatigue and focus.  

This seems to only prove the point that its not opponent offensive rebounding that is the problem since we win some where we give up a bunch and we lose some where we give up a bunch.

• Like 1

5 OR to Washington

19 OR to Golden State

23 OR to Memphis LOSS

17 OR to Minn

16 OR to Boston LOSS

It's not good that we're giving up those offensive rebounds but we're still winning (and sometimes losing) when losing bad on the boards. And I think you're seeing how important Thabo is to our team as well. 

In our wins we average giving up 11.46 Oreb/game. In our losses we give up 12.45 per game. So you guys are going to have to look elsewhere for why we're winning and losing. We give up 1 more TO per game in losses but I don't see that being a significant factor either.

I might suggest it's because we're shooting 4% worse in losses than in wins.  Or I might suggest that shooting 7% worse from 3 in our losses is a big reason.

• Like 1

hawks dont have great offensive rebounding because Horford and Millsap stretch the floor and are at mid-range or further (hard to crash the glass, when you are taking a three) and what they do offensively most nights has a far greater impact on the game than if they played closer to the rim and grabbed one or two more offensive rebounds a game

and giving up offensive boards isn't the reason we didn't reach 90 against a scrub team and made Sullinger look like charles barkley..or the fact that the refs didn't want to blow the whistle against memphis- while they were suplexing hawks (after that cheap shot gasol took on teague, I really wanted dennis to smack him in the balls- and not the orange ones {although, his might be orangish})

mental stuff happens and I think against boston some hawks had already flown to new york

• Like 1

It's not good that we're giving up those offensive rebounds but we're still winning (and sometimes losing) when losing bad on the boards. And I think you're seeing how important Thabo is to our team as well. 

In our wins we average giving up 11.46 Oreb/game. In our losses we give up 12.45 per game. So you guys are going to have to look elsewhere for why we're winning and losing. We give up 1 more TO per game in losses but I don't see that being a significant factor either.

I might suggest it's because we're shooting 4% worse in losses than in wins.  Or I might suggest that shooting 7% worse from 3 in our losses is a big reason.

Yes, the Hawks win a lot of games when they give up crazy OReb numbers.  But it certainly decreases the margin for error in other areas and reduces the impact of our defensive edge. Correlation certainly doesn't equal causation, but that is an ugly stat that can't be ignored when we just lost 3 games in quick fashion.  I think it's more about fatigue and focus, to tell the truth.

Yes, the Hawks win a lot of games when they give up crazy OReb numbers.  But it certainly decreases the margin for error in other areas and reduces the impact of our defensive edge. Correlation certainly doesn't equal causation, but that is an ugly stat that can't be ignored when we just lost 3 games in quick fashion.  I think it's more about fatigue and focus, to tell the truth.

Fatigue, focus and the biggest thing to me is losing Thabo. I don't think people realize how important he is to the team. Plus we're not getting very good minutes out of Pero anymore and the guy can't even throw a damn lob at the basket... 

• Like 1

• Moderators

This seems to only prove the point that its not opponent offensive rebounding that is the problem since we win some where we give up a bunch and we lose some where we give up a bunch.

Not sure I agree.  You are talking about going 3-3 which is .500 while giving up 16+ orpg.  For the rest of the season, we give up just over 11 orpg and win >.800.

This isn't a big enough sample size to "prove" anything to me, but if it were capable of proving something then I think it would prove the point that the increased offensive rebounding has been detrimental to us.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Not sure I agree.  You are talking about going 3-3 which is .500 while giving up 16+ orpg.  For the rest of the season, we give up just over 11 orpg and win >.800.

This isn't a big enough sample size to "prove" anything to me, but if it were capable of proving something then I think it would prove the point that the increased offensive rebounding has been detrimental to us.

We also averaged 43% shooting and 32% from 3 in those losses, which are right in line with the rest of our losses this season.