• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Atlanta Hawks are 28th in the League in Rebounds Per Game

Bonkers

DO I have to be the honest man in the room??

What good is an defensive philosophy where you abandon the offensive glass, if you are not sucking up the defensive glass all the time.   What good is a stop, if the other team can get the rebound and reset??  One of our focus should be rebounding.  Moreover, the problem isn't Sap.  The problem is Horford.  He's pulling down 8 rebounds per game (16th amoung Centers).   If we could swing it, I would send Dennis and the rights to Eddy to Minn for Gorgui Dieng.   He heals all of our wounds.  He gives us a natural big who can block shots and rebound.  Minny would be interested because Rubio stays hurt.

Love to have Dieng. Would rather send Payne and Mike Muscula than Dennis and Eddy. Dieng also has a decent midrange game which he started to develop before leaving Louisville.

Edited by MrMeltdown

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I don't believe there is one "golden ticket" to playoff success or that one team's weakness is an automatic Achilles heel.  The issue is when you compound that weakness with poor play in another area - like defense.  If we execute and play solid defense, basically do the same damn thing that made us the best team in the league, rebounds won't be a problem in the playoffs.

Honestly, I'm not so worried about the defense...it's missing shots and falling into bad habits/old form that scares me.  If Teague turns back into "Regular Season Teague" and Horford pulls a few disappearing acts...that'd be bad.  Gonna try not to worry about this though...I can't waste a season like this with negative "what if" scenarios.

I don't believe there is one "golden ticket" to playoff success or that one team's weakness is an automatic Achilles heel. The issue is when you compound that weakness with poor play in another area - like defense. If we execute and play solid defense, basically do the same damn thing that made us the best team in the league, rebounds won't be a problem in the playoffs.

Honestly, I'm not so worried about the defense...it's missing shots and falling into bad habits/old form that scares me. If Teague turns back into "Regular Season Teague" and Horford pulls a few disappearing acts...that'd be bad. Gonna try not to worry about this though...I can't waste a season like this with negative "what if" scenarios.

I concur, but we are missing Thabo's perimeter defense and rebounding. Since Thabo went down we are -12 in rebounding.

• Moderators

I don't believe there is one "golden ticket" to playoff success or that one team's weakness is an automatic Achilles heel.  The issue is when you compound that weakness with poor play in another area - like defense.  If we execute and play solid defense, basically do the same damn thing that made us the best team in the league, rebounds won't be a problem in the playoffs.

Honestly, I'm not so worried about the defense...it's missing shots and falling into bad habits/old form that scares me.  If Teague turns back into "Regular Season Teague" and Horford pulls a few disappearing acts...that'd be bad.  Gonna try not to worry about this though...I can't waste a season like this with negative "what if" scenarios.

No doubt.   4 of 5 starters shoot under 30% for the game and we lose even though we held the other team under 90.   But rebounding is the culprit?   We're losing because we aren't taking care of the ball and aren't finding the open man.   Memphis and Boston didn't exactly run us off the floor.   We sucked on the offensive end.   We will always have rebounding issues against some bigger teams but the strategy is to outscore them and play good D.   And it's been proven to work.   

• Like 3

but when i suggested we TRY and get mason plumlee in the trade section, i was clowned. look, i know the hawks are not gonna get plumlee and i know my scenario was just something i put out there, but the hawks need to do SOMETHING. sap and horford have never been rebounding or rim protecting machines. they need help and im tired of the Antić " has value" crap coming out of coach bud's mouth in reference to Antić. Antić needs to be on the END of the bench. bring moose in or get somebody else to take up that freed up roster spot. we dont need yet another wing, we need interior help. if horford gets into foul trouble in the playoffs, well.......get another big.

but when i suggested we TRY and get mason plumlee in the trade section, i was clowned. look, i know the hawks are not gonna get plumlee and i know my scenario was just something i put out there, but the hawks need to do SOMETHING. sap and horford have never been rebounding or rim protecting machines. they need help and im tired of the Antić " has value" crap coming out of coach bud's mouth in reference to Antić. Antić needs to be on the END of the bench. bring moose in or get somebody else to take up that freed up roster spot. we dont need yet another wing, we need interior help. if horford gets into foul trouble in the playoffs, well.......get another big.

I have no issue with getting Plumlee, its what you suggested giving up in order to get him.

I hope this "Rebounds are not important" thing doesn't turn into "Sacks are overrated" nonsense of the Falcons.  I couldn't care less about not getting offensive rebounds. But giving up 15-20 offensive boards per game? That is inexcusable and should be addressed somehow.

• Moderators

That is right.  Offensive rebounding is minimized by our scheme.  Our defensive rebounding is still very important.  So I am less concerned with where we rank in overall rebound and more about how many offensive rebounds we are giving up.

• Like 1

I hope this "Rebounds are not important" thing doesn't turn into "Sacks are overrated" nonsense of the Falcons. I couldn't care less about not getting offensive rebounds. But giving up 15-20 offensive boards per game? That is inexcusable and should be addressed somehow.

Coach Bud has never said that. He only talked about the Hawks offensive rebounding and why its not a focus. The defensive rebounding is the issue.

• Premium Member

I concur, but we are missing Thabo's perimeter defense and rebounding. Since Thabo went down we are -12 in rebounding.

Very true, but here's how I'm looking at this.  First....shot blocking aside, defense is less about ability and more about attitude and commitment.  These guys have all bought in and you RARELY see the defense fall apart.  They treat every possession like a car salesman treats a big sale.  Also, like our offense...these guys play defense as a team.  So to me, it's really not so important that we're missing one guy.  Now, I'd be worried as shit if we lost DMC...but hell, we beat Portland without him AND Thabo (who will be back in like 5-6 weeks).

Honestly, we just need to tighten up a little.  Looking at our recent losses...  

I didn't see the Boston game.  I can't say much, but there's no excuse for losing to them.  The Pelicans game...we just got outplayed.  We looked tired and Anthony Davis looked incredible.  There was also a little to much "me ball" early and some missed shots.  We lost the Memphis game in like...the last 2 minutes.  That was a good game, between two quality teams, that play good defense. They had Z-Bo back and it was still anybody's game.

So again, I'm not worried about the rebounding or missing a guy like Thabo.  My concern is execution, execution, execution (a million times over)....and making the shots we're supposed to make.

• Moderators

Coach Bud has never said that. He only talked about the Hawks offensive rebounding and why its not a focus. The defensive rebounding is the issue.

Coach Bud has never said that and will never say that.

Lots of posters have said the rebounding is irrelevant.