• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks article by Aldridge on Ferry and ownership

macdaddy

Bring him back already. If this organization is more interested in appeasing the political correctness police (which apparently only applies to white owners and GMs, not players) then finishing the job Danny Ferry started then I have no use being a fan of this team or coming to the games. Michael Jordan publicly admitted he used to hate white people, how do you think the public would have reacted if Larry Bird had said he use to hate blacks? There is a ridiculous double standard where whites are guilty until proven innocent and are raked over the coals for even the most innocuous remarks, while blacks can speak their minds freely using offensive language or make controversial statements with impunity. It's reverse racist garbage.

This is nonsense. You say something about gays and your getting a crazy huge fine. I think you are using the white man card of saying bs and doing overt racism and hating the punishment that's given and saying well others don't get it when others don't say stupid stuff either or they pay a price. You guys have some nerve. 

The bottomline is this. The product is Basketball players. What bothers them more than anything is feeling unwanted outside of their profession. The majority are Black. In order to compete, you need them on your side and willing to play for you. He hampers that notion. For hockey, big deal but not really. For Basketball, very big deal. A colossal deal. 

I will say this Hutchins when the APD gunned down an old lady wit a no knock warrant at the wrong house, he held their butts to the fire. So all this talk about is a little uninformed. You know people said the same thing about MLK and Andrew Young. History has proven they were right. As a Black man who knows his history, I understand the necessity of these type of things. It's not just about the Hawks. They are being held to the fire because other companies are watching. Ferry is symbolic. If he repeated a isreali slur or homophobic slur he would already be fired.

Sorry that last sentence was just ridiculous as it suggests there's been an UNDERreaction to Ferry's mistake. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Sorry that last sentence was just ridiculous as it suggests there's been an UNDERreaction to Ferry's mistake. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't necessarily interpret that last sentence that way.  I believe the ramifications would've been more significant had it been anti-semitic or homophobic but that doesn't mean there's been an under-reaction to Ferry per se.

A lot of what @HawkItus said is true though.  For the black community, sometimes there's a feeling that you have to over-react to these things although you acknowledge it may not be that big of a deal.  The thinking is the whole 'give 'em an inch they'll take a mile' thing.  

Never said there was an under reaction. Just understand the atmosphere here. The Hawks truly have never engaged the community like the Falcons have. This statement by Ferry And Levenson hurt more here than they might otherwise. Blame it on the political atmosphere, history, or the lasting effects of the hate we are so busy down playing in This country. If you offended a major shareholder or client at your job what would happen? They Chose the wrong group in the right city to piss off

A lot of what @HawkItus said is true though.  For the black community, sometimes there's a feeling that you have to over-react to these things although you acknowledge it may not be that big of a deal.  The thinking is the whole 'give 'em an inch they'll take a mile' thing.

That's an interesting take to think about. Immediately I was thinking about the boy who cried wolf, but then I also see it as a stoic stance of claiming that no injustice is too small. Not sure which one I lean towards at this moment.

Can't the world just go to Dave and Busters to hang out and get along?

Never said there was an under reaction. Just understand the atmosphere here. The Hawks truly have never engaged the community like the Falcons have. This statement by Ferry And Levenson hurt more here than they might otherwise. Blame it on the political atmosphere, history, or the lasting effects of the hate we are so busy down playing in This country. If you offended a major shareholder or client at your job what would happen? They Chose the wrong group in the right city to piss off

In what way did Ferry's private meeting statement actually hurt the Hawks up through this point? Our attendance is actually up 3k fans per game from this point last season. We were able to sign free agents (even though not the stars... but that's no change from previous years) and get our own guys to re-sign here. 

I simply don't agree that an anti-Semitic or anti-gay slur would have been dealt with any more harshly. Ferry has pretty much lost his job and his credibility and no telling how much money and you act like there has been an under-reaction. You didn't have to say it in those exact terms, but that's exactly what you're saying when you say well if he had said such and such there would have been a bigger reaction against him. What you're saying there is that you believe there should have been more of a reaction and negative consequences for Ferry, again meaning an under-reaction against him. Maybe you don't actually feel that way, but it's exactly how it comes across to me. 

• Like 1

I don't necessarily interpret that last sentence that way.  I believe the ramifications would've been more significant had it been anti-semitic or homophobic but that doesn't mean there's been an under-reaction to Ferry per se.

You believe that because it was a slur against a black man instead of against a Jew or a gay person that the ramifications weren't significant enough. So I don't see how that can not be considered and under-reaction unless you believe that there'd be an over-reaction had it been against a Jew or a gay person. 

• Like 1

You believe that because it was a slur against a black man instead of against a Jew or a gay person that the ramifications weren't significant enough. So I don't see how that can not be considered and under-reaction unless you believe that there'd be an over-reaction had it been against a Jew or a gay person. 

Not exactly.  I tend to believe the ramifications and reactions were appropriate in this case (so far).  I believe if it had been anti-semitic or homophobic, both the ramifications and reactions would've been more significant.

I'm splitting hairs a little, but I don't see that as an over-reaction.  Just a different reaction.  Over-reaction, to me, implies inappropriate reaction.

Ferry would be Blackballed if said something about Jews. Look who owns the league. You can say craziness v. Black folks for the most pt and get away with it. There is a billion dollar industry called neo-con radio and Fox News based on it. But the White jews, you can't say nothing or your fired. No speaking to the Jewish leaders of the community. No talking to the person and saying you are truly sorry. No, your career is going straight Mel Gibson. 

Not exactly.  I tend to believe the ramifications and reactions were appropriate in this case (so far).  I believe if it had been anti-semitic or homophobic, both the ramifications and reactions would've been more significant.

I'm splitting hairs a little, but I don't see that as an over-reaction.  Just a different reaction.  Over-reaction, to me, implies inappropriate reaction.

I can understand what you're saying here. But I certainly don't believe a reaction would have been bigger had it been anti-Jew or anti-gay. There's no precedent in that NBA for that type of belief, at least none that I can recall. 

Ferry would be Blackballed if said something about Jews. Look who owns the league. You can say craziness v. Black folks for the most pt and get away with it. There is a billion dollar industry called neo-con radio and Fox News based on it. But the White jews, you can't say nothing or your fired. No speaking to the Jewish leaders of the community. No talking to the person and saying you are truly sorry. No, your career is going straight Mel Gibson. 

I'm sorry but there's absolutely no basis for this. You're acting like this is Hollywood instead of the NBA. Sure if he'd made a gay or Jew joke in Hollywood he'd be screwed. But there's no bigger insult that you can make in the NBA than to insult a black man. 

I'm not sure what to think. I think he was wrong, but I also believe he deserves a second chance. I mean so many athletes have gotten second chances for all the stupid things they've said and done, so why is a general manager any different? It's almost reverse racism to allow a guy like Ray Rice to come back into the NFL for beating the $hit out of his fiancé in an elevator caught on tape and not let Ferry come back for racist comments...

I dunno. I guess as a Hawks fan I feel that Ferry had a plan and a vision going forward with the Hawks and to get a different gm almost means this franchise will once again be set back another 3-5 years. Who knows, I'm just tired of the struggles that come with being a fan of the Atlanta Hawks. Sometimes it just gets me down.

Yea, it's a tough call but I'd be okay if he came back.  Just seems like he made a stupid mistake and what he said wasn't really his honest opinion or part of his normal character.  I actually think the worst offender is the one who threw him under the bus publicly instead of trying to address the issue internally first.

Odds are that we won't see a decision until a new owner is found which could be the end of the season for all we know.

• Like 1

Jessie Jackson called New York City "Hymie Town". Really derailed his "career" there.  Mel Gibson beat his girlfriend, and has bashed Jews, gays, and Hispanics and it has hurt his career exactly zero. He's about to become a billionaire.

1. Entertainment industries (sports, TV, movies, etc) are NOT equivalent to normal everyday life in a "regular" job. 

2. White guilt is so high these days that people like Paula Deen are being destroyed by things they said 20 years ago. 

3. Donald Sterling. (Although if idiot people would have just not freaked out and let him die, he wouldn't have profited from it).

You sound really paranoid. Sorry the man is keeping you down so hard.

• Premium Member

I will have to disagree with you here.  If anything is said about a black person it goes viral.  Now you can say anything in the world about white folks and there is no reaction, its accepted.  People need to quite playing on every word.   BTW.......Jews are democrats.  This political correctness stuff is about to drive this old guy away from the NBA, I'm tired of the bs.

• Premium Member

I'm sorry but there's absolutely no basis for this. You're acting like this is Hollywood instead of the NBA. Sure if he'd made a gay or Jew joke in Hollywood he'd be screwed. But there's no bigger insult that you can make in the NBA than to insult a black man. 

Unfortunately I have to agree with Supes here.  Tim Hardaway was fired for anti-gay speech.  Charlie Ward and Allan Houston were made to apologize for Anti-Jew speech.  Barkley has talked about inside the lockerroom, the N word is passed along like mints.

In 2001, while playing for the Knicks, it was discovered that Ward had made disparaging comments about Jews during a Bible-study session, comments that were eventually leaked to the press. Among the comments made: "Jews are stubborn...tell me, why did they persecute Jesus unless He knew something they didn’t want to accept...They had His blood on their hands."[6]

There was outrage directed at Ward from Jewish groups, the public, as well as the Knicks organization itself. Ward defended himself by saying "I didn't mean to offend any one group because that's not what I'm about. I have friends that are Jewish. Actually, my friend is a Jewish guy, and his name is Jesus Christ."[6] He also said the quotes were taken out of context, as he stated that "Jews are stubborn" in speaking to what he perceived to be their disinclination to convert to Christianity.[7]

Ward eventually apologized for those statements, with his apology being accepted by the Anti-Defamation League.[8]

Jessie Jackson called New York City "Hymie Town". Really derailed his "career" there.  Mel Gibson beat his girlfriend, and has bashed Jews, gays, and Hispanics and it has hurt his career exactly zero. He's about to become a billionaire.

1. Entertainment industries (sports, TV, movies, etc) are NOT equivalent to normal everyday life in a "regular" job. 

2. White guilt is so high these days that people like Paula Deen are being destroyed by things they said 20 years ago. 

3. Donald Sterling. (Although if idiot people would have just not freaked out and let him die, he wouldn't have profited from it).

You sound really paranoid. Sorry the man is keeping you down so hard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=md_umWiqu98

Yeah racism doesn't exist. Jessie Jackson doesn't have a job nor did he have one when he said that. Find 5 white hating sites on Google, then count the hundreds on blacks and other minorities. Yeah we are paranoid genius.

Yeah racism doesn't exist. Jessie Jackson doesn't have a job nor did he have one when he said that. Find 5 white hating sites on Google, then count the hundreds on blacks and other minorities. Yeah we are paranoid genius.

Don't misconstrue my post as "black people are paranoid". It's "that guy is paranoid".

Unfortunately I have to agree with Supes here.  Tim Hardaway was fired for anti-gay speech.  Charlie Ward and Allan Houston were made to apologize for Anti-Jew speech.  Barkley has talked about inside the lockerroom, the N word is passed along like mints.

Oh no made to apologize? Yeah cause that's far worse than losing your job and reputation as a GM. 

First off Hardaway flat out said on the radio that he hates gay people, which is a far cry from Ferry reading a scouting report in a private meeting. And Hardaway wasn't even an NBA employee so you can't use that to say how the NBA would have reacted to him. And guess what, he's now working for the Miami Heat so I guess his career wasn't killed like some of you want Ferry's to be. So thanks for basically proving Soups argument as invalid.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Alright this is getting out of hand here for the main forum. If you guys want to continue this discussion then move it to the political forum.