Hawks article by Aldridge on Ferry and ownership

macdaddy

Where the hell is new ownership? All these people come out of the woodwork to buy the team and then we don't hear anything, not even rumors. Either it's going very well or none of them have enough money.

Last I heard Koonin say about 2 weeks ago is that's it's a complicated issue because of so many hands in the cookie jar. I guess trying to figure out percentages to be sold etc.

• Moderators

Last I heard Koonin say about 2 weeks ago is that's it's a complicated issue because of so many hands in the cookie jar. I guess trying to figure out percentages to be sold etc.

Maybe Ted Turner will just give Koonin a billion dollars so he can buy the team.   At least he actually does something.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I can't stand these "community leaders" jumping at the opportunity to be offended. These people probably couldn't name an Atlanta Hawk since Nique, but suddenly they care so deeply for this franchise and the way it interacts with the community.

Ferry has more than paid his dues at this point. They need to bring him back or let him go, but they better not make "punishment" the reason. It should only come down to whether or not they believe he can still do his job effectively. 

What does it really mean to "pay his dues"?

He has been made to sit down for a few months?  That's paying his dues?  I mean, he's been accused of this before.  His "sterling" reputation allowed him to deny the accusation against him and keep doing what he wants to do.   Now, he was caught on tape.  Couldn't deny this time.  His first defense was " I was just repeating what was told to me.".  The sad part about that is that it was the GM that he hired that he repeated.   I think that there must be some type of punishment that brings it on home that this sort of thing should not be tolerated... otherwise, a lot of guys will just get slapped on the wrist, sit  for a month or two and resume business as usual.  I say, he be let go and have to start off elsewhere.  The process of having to start over after having been caught is punishment.

• Premium Member

I think you're exactly right. I remember CViv recently said that these guys still don't get along and have not even met to determine how much of the franchise is for sale. And it appears that Gearon and company wants to hold on and I just can't imagine someone who would be a good owner wanting to partner with them after this fiasco.

What does it really mean to "pay his dues"?

He has been made to sit down for a few months?  That's paying his dues?  I mean, he's been accused of this before.  His "sterling" reputation allowed him to deny the accusation against him and keep doing what he wants to do.   Now, he was caught on tape.  Couldn't deny this time.  His first defense was " I was just repeating what was told to me.".  The sad part about that is that it was the GM that he hired that he repeated.   I think that there must be some type of punishment that brings it on home that this sort of thing should not be tolerated... otherwise, a lot of guys will just get slapped on the wrist, sit  for a month or two and resume business as usual.  I say, he be let go and have to start off elsewhere.  The process of having to start over after having been caught is punishment.

He received a punishment from the Hawks, he made his apologies, he took a leave of absence, and he's talked with people about these race issues. His career has been put in jeopardy. That seems like plenty for an insensitive comment.

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Good to know you've never once made a mistake at work Diesel. And I'm sure you've never ever made a racially or sexually insensitive remark, even going so far to say that you've never even repeated a remark or joke of those sorts...

#glasshouses

No.  I'm not saying that I've never made a mistake at work.  However, I have not put my coworkers and especially the people I supervise in an akward situation using racial or sexual jokes.  That particular house is made of bricks. Like I said, I'm all for forgiving Ferry but not without punishment because this is his second strike.

He received a punishment from the Hawks, he made his apologies, he took a leave of absence, and he's talked with people about these race issues. His career has been put in jeopardy. That seems like plenty for an insensitive comment.

What punishment did the Hawks give?

With respect to the entire fiasco shouldn't the white suburban folks that Levenson said were afraid to go to games be the most offended, after Deng?

OK time to run away from this thread, although hopefully people see I'm half serious and should be read more as a satire.

No.  I'm not saying that I've never made a mistake at work.  However, I have not put my coworkers and especially the people I supervise in an akward situation using racial or sexual jokes.  That particular house is made of bricks. Like I said, I'm all for forgiving Ferry but not without punishment because this is his second strike.

What punishment did the Hawks give?

What 2nd strike are you talking about? 

• Premium Member

Never been a big Ferry fan myself, but if he cant comeback because of racial issues that would be a tragedy.  All of the trouble that players get into and it gets slid under the rug because of being stars, etc.   

This country is so out of control on political correctness that this country will eventually crash just like the great Roman Empire!  its coming and I feel sorry for my grandchildren and the future of the USA.

Edited by Vol4ever

Completely agree about political correctness getting out of hand. Every show these days has to have the token minority, which depends on the ethnicity of the majority of the cast, and every show has to have a gay character in it. It's just silly now. I deal with it all the time with marketing materials, how we have to run them past a group who makes sure that we are representing a wide range of ethnicities, have both sexes, and other factors that are silly as they don't actually represent our market. But God forbid anyone gets offended! 

• Like 1

Never been a big Ferry fan myself, but if he cant comeback because of racial issues that would be a tragedy. All of the trouble that players get into and it gets slid under the rug because of being stars, etc.

This country is so out of control on political correctness that this country will eventually crash just like the great Roman Empire! its coming and I feel sorry for my grandchildren and the future of the USA.

I weep for the future...-Ferris Bueller's day off

Bring him back already. If this organization is more interested in appeasing the political correctness police (which apparently only applies to white owners and GMs, not players) then finishing the job Danny Ferry started then I have no use being a fan of this team or coming to the games. Michael Jordan publicly admitted he used to hate white people, how do you think the public would have reacted if Larry Bird had said he use to hate blacks? There is a ridiculous double standard where whites are guilty until proven innocent and are raked over the coals for even the most innocuous remarks, while blacks can speak their minds freely using offensive language or make controversial statements with impunity. It's reverse racist garbage.

• Premium Member

What 2nd strike are you talking about? 

This is back in play now....

Ferry's prior dirt was swept under the rug because of the character of Wells and the "sterling" Duke bred character  of Ferry.  Well, I can't give him a pass now.  I consider this his second strike.

This is back in play now....

Ferry's prior dirt was swept under the rug because of the character of Wells and the "sterling" Duke bred character of Ferry. Well, I can't give him a pass now. I consider this his second strike.

Wow..honestly I for one had forgotten about that. I do recall the incident now. Obviously it was wrong of him if it were true, just because I don't trust Bonzi Wells any further than I can throw him. The guy was a good player and instant offense but if I recall correctly, he himself had his own on and off the court issues. Just because of that it makes his case just a little bit less credible in my eyes, but I'm not condoning it or supporting it in any way.

Greedily as a Hawks fan I want this to all go away and for us to continue the Ferry era just so we don't have to start over with a new regime that is unknown to us. Usually for us as a franchise that doesn't bode well. To me, Ferry hasn't shown any inferiority. His draft picks are mostly still incomplete but I believe that he has improved us as a franchise, with vision if nothing else. He has championship pedigree as well which is another reason that I'd rather the Hawks make amends with the league, fans, etc. Lets just try to improve each and every day to reach our ultimate goal of a title.

Edited by Spud2Nique

Oh good grief. I'm not taking the word of that attention whoring nut job over the many NBA players who played against and were teammates of Ferry who have known him forever and never saw him even be remotely racist. Find someone respectable who said that about Ferry and you'll have my ear.

• Premium Member

Oh good grief. I'm not taking the word of that attention whoring nut job over the many NBA players who played against and were teammates of Ferry who have known him forever and never saw him even be remotely racist. Find someone respectable who said that about Ferry and you'll have my ear.

At first this was my feeling.  However, after the tape.... What the tape made crystal is that Ferry is capable. 

I will say this Hutchins when the APD gunned down an old lady wit a no knock warrant at the wrong house, he held their butts to the fire. So all this talk about is a little uninformed. You know people said the same thing about MLK and Andrew Young. History has proven they were right. As a Black man who knows his history, I understand the necessity of these type of things. It's not just about the Hawks. They are being held to the fire because other companies are watching. Ferry is symbolic. If he repeated a isreali slur or homophobic slur he would already be fired.