Hawks article by Aldridge on Ferry and ownership

macdaddy

• Moderators

Not much new info other than to say that Ferry supposedly isn't coming back.  I didn't see this posted anywhere

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/features/david_aldridge/11/24/morning-tip-philadelphia-76ers-fans-atlanta-hawks-recover-from-danny-ferry-fallout/index.html

As for Ferry, the likelihood that he'd return to his old role for a new owner is something even he doesn't believe is possible, according to league sources. He has met with numerous individuals and groups to try and make amends for his words and seems, by all accounts, to be genuinely remorseful.

But it will likely be a long time before he's working in the NBA again.

"There were some things that were discussed confidentially, and I will leave those things confidential," Hutchins said. "Let me say it like this. I would be extremely disappointed if Danny Ferry returned. The decency and the patience with which both of us in the civil and human rights activist community have dealt with the Hawks would probably be suspended if Danny Ferry returns. Not because we believe that Danny does not deserve a second chance. But because we believe that there should be some consequence in engaging in that level of bigotry."

It puts the players, coaches and many in the front office in a difficult position. Almost all of them, including Budenholzer, were hired or brought in by Ferry, who got an unprecedented six-year deal in 2012 to run the team, with complete control of basketball operations.

I'm not sure what to think. I think he was wrong, but I also believe he deserves a second chance. I mean so many athletes have gotten second chances for all the stupid things they've said and done, so why is a general manager any different? It's almost reverse racism to allow a guy like Ray Rice to come back into the NFL for beating the $hit out of his fiancé in an elevator caught on tape and not let Ferry come back for racist comments...

I dunno. I guess as a Hawks fan I feel that Ferry had a plan and a vision going forward with the Hawks and to get a different gm almost means this franchise will once again be set back another 3-5 years. Who knows, I'm just tired of the struggles that come with being a fan of the Atlanta Hawks. Sometimes it just gets me down.

It's all just speculation at this point. He may never return... or he may be back tomorrow. Honestly either wouldn't surprise me. 

I do think the guy deserves a 2nd chance though. So many people, including Deng, have said that so it's pretty silly that there's a chance he could lose his career over this. 

• Like 4

I've been a Ferry-hater from way back and even I think he deserves a second chance (elsewhere).  Maybe not as a GM initially but certainly as an assistant with a chance for proving himself or working back up to the GM level.

Im Black, I was not offended by the comments, and I would like him back. I understand how the world works and how the world thinks esp those in power about members of lower social status and I can recognize that the things saidb by Ferry and Levenson were dumb but didnt come from a hateful place unlike the things Sterling said. I dont think even Ferry believes the things he said I genuinely believe he was just messing around. I have white coworkers who say worse things to me daily and I dont let it bother me because its just a bad joke. Just like if I say white people dont have rythym or they cant be trusted because they will steal your land. Its all just immature bull shyt. People are people, some are good some are not. I judge people on a case by case basis and I dont think that Ferry, who has been around black guys his entire life really meant the stuff he said and Id feel better knowing he was running our franchise. Just my opinion

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

Ferry more than deserves a second chance. Frankly he should already be back with the team or they should just fire him to let him move on and try to find work elsewhere. This indefinite suspension is an undeserved punishment.

I bet if the same thing happened to Pat Riley, there wouldn't even be a suspension..lol..The NBA is a joke sometimes.

I agree an indefinite suspension is excessive.  However, as @AHF notes, it probably has more to do with the ownership status being in flux and Ferry and the NBA community probably understand this so his future career prospects probably aren't being diminished.

No way they allow him back only to ultimately have the new owners make another "final" decision.

@sturt, I'm a brutha and I was more offended by the stupidity of the situation than the actual comments.  I feel it was a fire-able offense.

• Moderators

If he was coming back I'd think he'd be back now.   There's a lot of money involved here.   I'm assuming if he resigns then he forfeits his contract.   If he's fired he collects but I'm sure the Hawks are looking for a way out of paying him for another 5 years.   The silence on the whole thing though is what makes me think that he's never coming back.   He is still listed on the website though.

If my memory serves me correctly DF's punishment was made by the Hawks (no suspension or anything a 'significant fine) The NBA did not levy any punishment.

The NBA and the law firm that did the investigation determined it wasn't a fireable offense.

DF took the leave of absence on his own.

New ownership will determine DF's fate.

Community leaders who show up for headlines annoy me.

• Moderators

If my memory serves me correctly DF's punishment was made by the Hawks (no suspension or anything a 'significant fine) The NBA did not levy any punishment.

The NBA and the law firm that did the investigation determined it wasn't a fireable offense.

DF took the leave of absence on his own.

New ownership will determine DF's fate.

Community leaders who show up for headlines annoy me.

Where the hell is new ownership?   All these people come out of the woodwork to buy the team and then we don't hear anything, not even rumors.   Either it's going very well or none of them have enough money.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Where the hell is new ownership?   All these people come out of the woodwork to buy the team and then we don't hear anything, not even rumors.   Either it's going very well or none of them have enough money.  

I'm wondering if the new groups are trying to do a more thorough buyout to make sure to get rid of Gearon as well. They have to see this multiple owners spread out over several cities crap is not going to win anything.

• Like 2

Honestly, the less I hear the better I feel (to a degree).  IIRC, the vetting process typically takes a while and hopefully it'll allow us to avoid embarrassments like the Pizza guy's check bouncing and having to have the A$G come out and act like they still wanted to be here.

The Ballmer situation was an exception IIUC.

• Moderators

I'm wondering if the new groups are trying to do a more thorough buyout to make sure to get rid of Gearon as well. They have to see this multiple owners spread out over several cities crap is not going to win anything.

Good point.   I supposed buying out sterling was much easier since there was only one guy to deal with.   My guess is that Gearon is probably screwing up the sale like he screws up everything else. 

• Like 3