• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Ferry doesn't come back

HawkItus

What else could you possibly mean with the line "Just because you as a fan have "bought-in" doesn't mean everything he's touched turns to gold."

The biggest con, for me, regarding Ferry is his drafting record so far.  The two biggest pros are his ability to sign players on below market value deals and him bringing in Coach Bud.  They may not be the sexiest players, but he is getting quality players on great deals.  With other GMs, we would end up with the same type of caliber player while paying them much more.  I don't think you can really fault him for failing to land a name bigger than Millsap thus far.  This is Atlanta and it will take a couple of years of consistently winning before the jokes about our franchise begin to fade away.  Only then will bigger named players consider us an option, no matter who the GM is.

You mean his drafting record as already arguably the best Hawks GM at drafting, ever? Granted that's not saying a lot but he's clearly hit on 2nd round picks (Moose, Scott, even Ennis whom he traded away on draft night, and many are saying Tavares is a major steal) and you tell me when's the last time a Hawks GM hit on a 2nd round pick? It's too early to say on his 1st round picks but if Payne pans out along with Schröder, that would be 2 very talented starters that he's gotten in the 2nd half of the 1st round and that's damn impressive. The jury is still out on Jenkins (and he only had a few days to prepare for the draft that year) and he likely swung and missed on Bebe but you can't fault him for taking a chance at a kid with that type of raw potential. 

I'd like to see what you guys could do with 20/20 hindsight and see who you'd have taken with the picks that Ferry made. Even knowing who these players are now, who would you have selected instead?

• Like 2

You mean his drafting record as already arguably the best Hawks GM at drafting, ever? Granted that's not saying a lot but he's clearly hit on 2nd round picks (Moose, Scott, even Ennis whom he traded away on draft night, and many are saying Tavares is a major steal) and you tell me when's the last time a Hawks GM hit on a 2nd round pick? It's too early to say on his 1st round picks but if Payne pans out along with Schröder, that would be 2 very talented starters that he's gotten in the 2nd half of the 1st round and that's damn impressive. The jury is still out on Jenkins (and he only had a few days to prepare for the draft that year) and he likely swung and missed on Bebe but you can't fault him for taking a chance at a kid with that type of raw potential.

I'd like to see what you guys could do with 20/20 hindsight and see who you'd have taken with the picks that Ferry made. Even knowing who these players are now, who would you have selected instead?

Bravo! Very well said and agree 100%

• Like 1

Im not one to say that ferry is a terrible drafter like others. I just think he could have done slightly better. Mainly picking Dieng over bebe. Call it hindsight all you want but I wanted dieng when we were on the clock.

Im not one to say that ferry is a terrible drafter like others. I just think he could have done slightly better. Mainly picking Dieng over bebe. Call it hindsight all you want but I wanted dieng when we were on the clock.

Well you'll get no argument from me. I was begging for Dieng before the draft, although I was very excited about the prospect of a much younger Bebe possibly becoming a stud shot blocker for us. So I don't hate that pick at all. So far he's made exactly zero picks that made me scratch my head and that's saying something. 

• Premium Member

What else could you possibly mean with the line "Just because you as a fan have "bought-in" doesn't mean everything he's touched turns to gold."

The biggest con, for me, regarding Ferry is his drafting record so far.  The two biggest pros are his ability to sign players on below market value deals and him bringing in Coach Bud.  They may not be the sexiest players, but he is getting quality players on great deals.  With other GMs, we would end up with the same type of caliber player while paying them much more.  I don't think you can really fault him for failing to land a name bigger than Millsap thus far.  This is Atlanta and it will take a couple of years of consistently winning before the jokes about our franchise begin to fade away.  Only then will bigger named players consider us an option, no matter who the GM is.

Ferry's biggest misses are his drafting AND his inability to recognize what can't be done in Atlanta.  Lastly, I don't agree with his Philosophy that you don't need stars to win.   It goes against everything that has happened thus far.   So far, Ferry has proved that it's possible to be thrifty and still make the playoffs (especially in the East).   What he hasn't done is shown a blueprint towards winning a championship.  That's the difference between He and BK.  BK had a blueprint that could work for Atlanta...  Firesale, then Build through the draft.   The problem was that BK was not the guy to implement the plan and the ASG was too cheap to do what needed to be done.  Ferry came in with the possibility of following the BK blueprint for Atlanta and he decides that he would clear the books, get rid of the stars and try to attract blue collar FAs.  There's nothing impressive about that. That's a plan to nowhere.  A plan to how to build a better treadmill. Yet, he is applauded for it?

• Premium Member

It certainly is strange that Ferry has been in limbo for all this time.   Seems like maybe he is still around, in the background.  I don't know why they are doing this - by now they should have made up their minds, unless some of the new owner candidates wants Ferry back.  Anyway, if Ferry goes, I'd give Bud the job.  After all, GM's don't have anything to do except for draft night, FA week, and trade deadline.  Its not a full time job. (sarcastic_hand.gif )

I think it's just about money.  If ASG fires Ferry that have to pay Ferry.  So they'd rather just let him stay in Limbo (running the team from his yacht) until the new ownership takes over.

• Premium Member

Adreian Payne 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Michigan State University 2014 2 43 Walter Tavares 23px-Flag_of_Cape_Verde.svg.png Cape Verde Gran Canaria (Spain) 2013 1 17 Dennis Schröder 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany Phantoms Braunschweig (Germany) 2013 1 18 Shane Larkin 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States University of Miami 2013 2 47 Raul Neto 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil Gipuzkoa Basket (Spain) 2013 2 50 James Ennis 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Cal State Long Beach 2012 1 23 John Jenkins 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Vanderbilt University 2012 2 43 Mike Scott 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States University of Virginia

Let's talk about em...

Jenkins won't be here next year.

Scott was a win.

Moose and Tarver are just potential.

Bebe was given away because he did want to be overseas for the rest of his career like Pape Sy.

Payne is yet to be determined.

Dennis has value.

What could we have had?

Dieng of course.over Bebe.

Plumlee over Jenkins

The other Plumlee over Bebe

As much as you want to hype Bebe as being potential... Bebe was just a player we stashed.  Walter could be the same?  However, we'll wait and see.

Ferry's biggest misses are his drafting AND his inability to recognize what can't be done in Atlanta. Lastly, I don't agree with his Philosophy that you don't need stars to win. It goes against everything that has happened thus far. So far, Ferry has proved that it's possible to be thrifty and still make the playoffs (especially in the East). What he hasn't done is shown a blueprint towards winning a championship. That's the difference between He and BK. BK had a blueprint that could work for Atlanta... Firesale, then Build through the draft. The problem was that BK was not the guy to implement the plan and the ASG was too cheap to do what needed to be done. Ferry came in with the possibility of following the BK blueprint for Atlanta and he decides that he would clear the books, get rid of the stars and try to attract blue collar FAs. There's nothing impressive about that. That's a plan to nowhere. A plan to how to build a better treadmill. Yet, he is applauded for it?

This post makes zero sense. Im still not sure how people have confirmed that ferry doesnt want a star when his actions scream otherwise.

The difference in ferry and BK is ferry hasnt been here long enough for u to have the slightest idea what he wants to do as far as final team makeup goes.

This is his third year.

Year 1 was spent tearing down the team.

year 2 bringing in a new coach and system

year 3 I believe he wanted a bigger name butmassive injuries in year 2 killed the small chance we had.

• Premium Member

This post makes zero sense. Im still not sure how people have confirmed that ferry doesnt want a star when his actions scream otherwise.

The difference in ferry and BK is ferry hasnt been here long enough for u to have the slightest idea what he wants to do as far as final team makeup goes.

This is his third year.

Year 1 was spent tearing down the team.

year 2 bringing in a new coach and system

year 3 I believe he wanted a bigger name butmassive injuries in year 2 killed the small chance we had.

You don't know the history.

First off Danny Ferry wants to fulfill his father's legacy of a starless team.  Look over his history... Duke and he himself was not a star in the NBA.

Review the tape (Loul Deng tape).

When you listen to it, one thing becomes clear, the bigger names mentioned in last years FAcy was subsequently shot down by Ferry.  He said of Melo:  He can shoot the _____ out of the ball. But he's not the kind of guy you'd want in your offense?

He said of Deng " He's got a little African in him."

The interesting thing is that he still made an offer to Deng.  A lowball offer.  It was a lowball offer because he really didn't want Deng.  Same with Gasol.

Finally look at his tool of choice.... Analytics.

Analytics easily gives preference to non-stars than Superstars.  Analytics would prefer Shane Battier over Kobe.

And so would Ferry.

Adreian Payne 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Michigan State University 2014 2 43 Walter Tavares 23px-Flag_of_Cape_Verde.svg.png Cape Verde Gran Canaria (Spain) 2013 1 17 Dennis Schröder 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany Phantoms Braunschweig (Germany) 2013 1 18 Shane Larkin 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States University of Miami 2013 2 47 Raul Neto 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil Gipuzkoa Basket (Spain) 2013 2 50 James Ennis 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Cal State Long Beach 2012 1 23 John Jenkins 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Vanderbilt University 2012 2 43 Mike Scott 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States University of Virginia

Let's talk about em...

Jenkins won't be here next year.

Scott was a win.

Moose and Tarver are just potential.

Bebe was given away because he did want to be overseas for the rest of his career like Pape Sy.

Payne is yet to be determined.

Dennis has value.

What could we have had?

Dieng of course.over Bebe.

Plumlee over Jenkins

The other Plumlee over Bebe

As much as you want to hype Bebe as being potential... Bebe was just a player we stashed.  Walter could be the same?  However, we'll wait and see.

As much as you want to hate, Bebe is in the NBA a year after being drafted. So no, he's not a stash player. 

And we should have taken PF Miles Plumlee when that's our deepest position? Or we should have taken PF Mason Plumlee when that's our deepest position? 

Ferry is a bum and he should never get another NBA gig. He sucks.

Moose? What has he done to show that he is a good pick? He looks like an end of the bench player to me. Scott is a one trick pony. Honestly, he isn't that good either.

• Premium Member

As much as you want to hate, Bebe is in the NBA a year after being drafted. So no, he's not a stash player. 

And we should have taken PF Miles Plumlee when that's our deepest position? Or we should have taken PF Mason Plumlee when that's our deepest position? 

Now comes news that Lucas Noguiera has suspended his contract with the Estudiantes due to physical related issues. Essentially, that means he will not play with the team nor get paid, but can see non-club related doctors. According to reports, Lucas has done just this and requested this to seek an outside diagnosis on his knees.

The man they call “Bebe” also missed time with a strained hamstring as well as knee tendonitis. As a result he only logged 6 games, averaging 5.7 points and 4.2 rebounds in 17.5 minutes.

It was previously assumed that Noguiera would stay overseas until at least next June, as the Hawks already have applied to remove his cap hold for the 2013-14 season, meaning despite this news, he won’t be joining the Atlanta Hawks this season.

According to this piece quoting the Estudiantes general manager José Asensio, Nogueira can reactivate his contract whenever he would like. He also cited Nogueira’s visit to Los Angeles-based physicians and the possibility of Noguiera’s knees not being able to withstand the wear from the Summer League and other offseason basketball activities.

As much as you hate it, Bebe suspended his contract in hopes of coming to Atlanta and playing with the Hawks instead of wasting his Body in the Spanish league.  Once he did that, he was trade bait.

Secondly... 2012.  Plumlee or Jenkins??  What do you think?  You can try to spin it any way you like.  I have always been an advocate for us getting a real C. 7 foot 255 fits that bill.