• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3-Guard Attack

hazer

He is only a 12 PPG scorer despite his high shooting percentages.

But he is one of the players who get the most attention on defense, so he impacts the defense a lot.

Playing Schröder, Teague, DMC, Sap and Horf would give the team bad spacing which helps them score. All those player like to attack the basket or score in midrange area, so the defenders can sink down to this area ... While Korver on a pick, often cause confusion and always a player close to the 3pt line.

So even if Korver don't have high assist numbers, the offense runs much better with him.

• Like 1

But he is one of the players who get the most attention on defense, so he impacts the defense a lot.

Playing Schröder, Teague, DMC, Sap and Horf would give the team bad spacing which helps them score. All those player like to attack the basket or score in midrange area, so the defenders can sink down to this area ... While Korver on a pick, often cause confusion and always a player close to the 3pt line.

So even if Korver don't have high assist numbers, the offense runs much better with him.

But the team needs to improve on the defensive end.

I keep hearing about offense... But this offense isn't beating anything but mediocre teams.

But I agree that Carroll is more expendable than Korver.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

But the team needs to improve on the defensive end.

I keep hearing about offense... But this offense isn't beating anything but mediocre teams.

But I agree that Carroll is more expendable than Korver.

The team needs to keep scoring more points than the opposition. That's the only stat that matters. If we gotta do it by scoring 110 per game then so be it, as long as we're scoring that much. 

The team needs to keep scoring more points than the opposition. That's the only stat that matters. If we gotta do it by scoring 110 per game then so be it, as long as we're scoring that much. 

Golden State scores points, but they only give up 96 PPG.

Scoring points is fun and nice... But defense matters also.

Sure it would be nice to keep the opponents scoring lower but at the end of the day all that matters is scoring 1 more point than your opponent. 

Our offense is not going to beat teams like GS and SA.

You want to try to get to the next level... Correct? It's not going to happen without better defense.

And you can't force good defense on guys who aren't good defenders. We do about as good as we can with the talent we have. But our guards don't stop penetration and we don't have an intimidating presence in the middle so it is what it is. 

And you can't force good defense on guys who aren't good defenders. We do about as good as we can with the talent we have. But our guards don't stop penetration and we don't have an intimidating presence in the middle so it is what it is. 

That's why I'm saying that someone needs to go. Pero provides our best defense inside... At least he did last night. It seemed like the Hawks kept Miami out of the paint more when Pero was in the game, but Miami had a field day at times when Horford was in the game.. That's what I saw.

The question is... Who do we remove from the starting lineup? We want to get to the next level, but nobody wants to get rid of the guys we have.

That's why I'm saying that someone needs to go. Pero provides our best defense inside... At least he did last night. It seemed like the Hawks kept Miami out of the paint more when Pero was in the game, but Miami had a field day at times when Horford was in the game.. That's what I saw.

The question is... Who do we remove from the starting lineup? We want to get to the next level, but nobody wants to get rid of the guys we have.

Can we just develop our young guys and make smart draft and FA signings and then make a good trade when it's available?  Right now we've won 4 in a row, we're a game out of 2nd place in the East and I'm looking to give this team a chance to see who they really are before I am interested in making a change. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It all just depends on what we need at the time and who we are playing. I doubt Bud will put in a small lineup if he is looking for defense and rebounding.

I said last year that we would probably eventually see Schröder and Teague playing in the game at the same time. I remember a couple people seemed to think I was a complete idiot.

Korver is actually 3rd worst on the team defensively. He had a nice start to the year but he's really come down and is actually only 1 point per 100 possessions better than Scott and Antić, our 2 worst defenders. BUT DMC is only a single point ahead of him, so that's not all that impressive for the guy who's supposed to be our defensive stopper. 

and this is why you shouldn't solely rely on these ratings all of the time.  No one is going to convince me that Horford has been a better defender than Antić this year and it sounds like your ratings will say just that.

• Moderators

Agreed, but the most important defensive player for Golden State is Bogut.  With him in they are an elite defense.  Without him they aren't.  If you can land a talented 7 footer who can play great D, you go for it.  Korver isn't going to get you that guy.  

In this pitiful era of SGs, Korver looks very solid as a starter to me.

and this is why you shouldn't solely rely on these ratings all of the time.  No one is going to convince me that Horford has been a better defender than Antić this year and it sounds like your ratings will say just that.

Offensive and defensive ratings are super simple. They're just the points scored by a player and allowed by a player per 100 possessions on offense and on defense. 

ORating

Horford - 116

Antić - 105

DRating

Horford - 107

Antić - 111

I don't think you'll find any stat that paints Antić in a good light defensively. Granted this is the worst rating of Horford's career so they're not terribly far apart, but I can't believe anyone would think that Antić is a good defender.