Jenkins scores 28 in D-league

macdaddy

Korver is 33 years old... They will have to start thinking about his replacement before long. Jenkins seems like a guy that could somewhat feel that role. Instead, Coach Bud is carrying around Brand (who can barely get up and down the court at this point) and it makes no sense.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I think getting rid of him now because his defense would be very short sighted. What was Kyle Korver ' s defense like in his early twenties? Also I think he was a better defender then Mike Scott and gave alot more effort on that end. Unfortunately for him he has to play SG against better athletes.

He seems to have a Kyle Korver like effort for getting better in the off seasons. I remember watching video of him trying to get quicker and working on his D. If not here than he'll catch on somewhere.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I think questioning Bud's rotation at this point is silly considering we've won almost every game for the last 2 months.   My feeling is that Jenkins just isn't quick enough to get significant minutes.   That's just a feeling and I could be dead wrong.  I hope I am.  There is no replacing Korver because no one can get that shot off as quickly or from as high a release point as Korver.   

I don't know what the point of getting him minutes in D-league would be if we are just going to release him.   I think he's just odd man out on a contending team now.   

• Like 1

He doesn't defend? Who here has watched him play this season for more than highlights in the D-League?

And I'm not questioning Bud, but that doesn't make me feel any better about seeing a guy who can shoot like this basically waste away on the bench (if he'd been on the bench and not in the D-League) when we're shooting 20-30% in a game. 

He doesn't defend? Who here has watched him play this season for more than highlights in the D-League?

And I'm not questioning Bud, but that doesn't make me feel any better about seeing a guy who can shoot like this basically waste away on the bench (if he'd been on the bench and not in the D-League) when we're shooting 20-30% in a game.

I'm trying to figure out whose fault it is that Jenkins isn't draining threes for us and holding this team back.

Bud has been willing to play those on our team. If you aren't playing, then there is likely a reason for that. I'm cool with trusting Bud has made the right call because of all the information on Bud I have read indicates he's a smart guy.

We had basically this same discussion last year with Cunningham. He's not in the league anymore. How about we don't go around trying to find things to complain about?

I'm trying to figure out whose fault it is that Jenkins isn't draining threes for us and holding this team back.

Bud has been willing to play those on our team. If you aren't playing, then there is likely a reason for that. I'm cool with trusting Bud has made the right call because of all the information on Bud I have read indicates he's a smart guy.

We had basically this same discussion last year with Cunningham. He's not in the league anymore. How about we don't go around trying to find things to complain about?

It's not about fault it's a numbers game and he's buried on the depth chart. That doesn't mean that he can't or won't make it in this league. 

We (you and I at least) didn't have this discussion about Cunningham (at least I don't recall) as I never thought he was much of a prospect. Jenkins was the best shooter in his draft and shot almost 40% from 3 as a rookie. He's got value even if it's only to come in and play 5-10 mpg and knock down some 3's. 

It's not about fault it's a numbers game and he's buried on the depth chart. That doesn't mean that he can't or won't make it in this league. 

We (you and I at least) didn't have this discussion about Cunningham (at least I don't recall) as I never thought he was much of a prospect. Jenkins was the best shooter in his draft and shot almost 40% from 3 as a rookie. He's got value even if it's only to come in and play 5-10 mpg and knock down some 3's.

I was referring to the board with Cunningham. I hardly discuss players on this board anymore. It seems pretty obvious that the same scenario is playing out right now with Jenkins, and we already know the ending to that. It's better to let Jenkins free and hold a roster spot in case of emergency. I don't know if Jenkins has been grumpy or not, but he's not going to play in front of all these guys we have and his preference should be to play.

I was referring to the board with Cunningham. I hardly discuss players on this board anymore. It seems pretty obvious that the same scenario is playing out right now with Jenkins, and we already know the ending to that. It's better to let Jenkins free and hold a roster spot in case of emergency. I don't know if Jenkins has been grumpy or not, but he's not going to play in front of all these guys we have and his preference should be to play.

Yes the same scenario is playing out but it's a shame with Jenkins as he was our 1st round pick, he showed he can play his rookie season and he's got a skill that's a premium in the league right now, none of which apply to Cunningham. 

I'm sure that he wants to play and it's got to kill him that he's not getting to. I just don't see how it could hurt to give him Mack's minutes for a week or two and see how he does. 

Another thing to think about is why are we spending time sending him back and forth to the D-League if we have no plans for him? Are we trying to build up his skill level so that he can sign someplace else next year? Are we simply doing him a courtesy? Are we trying to increase his value to use in a trade? Or are we planning on getting him some burn with the big club at some point?

Yes the same scenario is playing out but it's a shame with Jenkins as he was our 1st round pick, he showed he can play his rookie season and he's got a skill that's a premium in the league right now, none of which apply to Cunningham.

Not sure why it matters how we acquired him. Jared Cunningham was picked directly after Jenkins. Were Dallas fools for having given up on their 1st round pick so soon? Meh, since Cunningham isn't in the league I seriously doubt it. Once you pick a guy, you shouldn't be married to where you picked him like we were with Marvin for so many years. Make the decision based upon things moving forward. The Hawks have already indicated that back in October, they felt that Jenkins would not be worth a guaranteed $2,228,025 for the 2015-16 Season. Things could change, but the Hawks had 2+ years with the guy where they could monitor him much more than you or I could. The Hawks made that decision. It's not like that $2,228,025 in cap space is going to help the team out greatly. So it's pretty damming evidence for what the Hawks think of him.

I'm sure that he wants to play and it's got to kill him that he's not getting to. I just don't see how it could hurt to give him Mack's minutes for a week or two and see how he does.

I don't get this thinking and never have gotten this thinking. It implies that just by sprinkling minutes onto a player that the player can magically change. But how is it that players ever get minutes in the first place? Coaches, as much as we would like to chastise them, are not dummies. They are trying to give themselves the best chance of winning. If it ever appears that a player magically gets better by handing them some minutes, you should take a step back. There is causality at play here. If the player is playing, it is likely something they did to earn those minutes that then allows them to produce. This makes it appear that the minutes helped the player get better, but the minutes were the reward. The player needs to do something in the background to demonstrate to the coach that they are capable of producing. And if Bud hasn't played Jenkins, then I'm completely fine with the understanding that Jenkins is not worthy of minutes on this team.

Tangent(ish, still relevant): Just handing out minutes is akin to a company trying to increase their profits. They talk to consultants that indicate similar companies who have higher productivity also have twice as much invested in their R&D Department. So the original company doubles the salary of everyone in R&D and wait for a quarter. Miraculously, their productivity didn't change! Oh my, but aren't you supposed to see productivity increases whenever you invest more in your R&D? Maybe they will be better off by moving people from marketing to R&D in order to double the size of their R&D...

Another thing to think about is why are we spending time sending him back and forth to the D-League if we have no plans for him? Are we trying to build up his skill level so that he can sign someplace else next year? Are we simply doing him a courtesy? Are we trying to increase his value to use in a trade? Or are we planning on getting him some burn with the big club at some point?

Yes.

Edited by hawksfanatic

Magically change? From what? He kind of has to play to prove or disprove that he can play. I don't get your line of thinking that he's just worthless and an empty roster spot has more value when the kid hasn't even had a chance to play for Bud since he's been healthy. 

Kind of like the Cavs giving up on Danny Green when they thought he had no value. 

Magically change? From what? He kind of has to play to prove or disprove that he can play. I don't get your line of thinking that he's just worthless and an empty roster spot has more value when the kid hasn't even had a chance to play for Bud since he's been healthy. 

Kind of like the Cavs giving up on Danny Green when they thought he had no value.

OK don't read my post. Just skim it.

Oh I see that's what you did. Nevermind.

OK don't read my post. Just skim it.

Oh I see that's what you did. Nevermind.

Oh I read your reply, I just don't agree with your sarcastic outlook on players. You seem to be of the opinion that if a player is on the bench not getting minutes that he's not skilled enough to play on this level, as if there aren't examples of this every year to magically prove your theory wrong.

Oh I read your reply, I just don't agree with your sarcastic outlook on players. You seem to be of the opinion that if a player is on the bench not getting minutes that he's not skilled enough to play on this level, as if there aren't examples of this every year to magically prove your theory wrong.

Not what I said.

It's also doubtful anyone would be able to digest my last post within 3 minutes as well as type up a reply. But, sure. Thanks for taking the time to skim it.

Edited by hawksfanatic

Jenkins could be a solid player off of the bench, but he just doesn't have a place on this team right now. I think Mack brings more to the table at this point and he hardly plays these days. We could keep Jenkins around for any potential garbage time, but it seems more beneficial for everyone involved if he plays consistent minutes in the D-League. 

Not what I said.

It's also doubtful anyone would be able to digest my last post within 3 minutes as well as type up a reply. But, sure. Thanks for taking the time to skim it.

Digest it? Don't hurt yourself patting your back so hard. It's not like you just wrote War and Peace. You just said the same thing that's been said countless times before. But hey if it makes you feel special then sure, that post was 5 stars and the toughest to digest in Hawksquawk history.