• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jenkins scores 28 in D-league

macdaddy

• Moderators

Hawks assignee John Jenkins scored 28 points for Idaho in an NBA Development League loss to Fort Wayne, 114-109, Monday.

Jenkins was 10 of 14 from the field, including 4 of 6 from 3-point range, in 33 minutes. The 2012 first-round draft pick started at forward. He added four rebounds, three assists and two steals playing for the Jazz affiliate.

Idaho is next scheduled to play a pair of games at Bakersfield Friday and Saturday nights. Both games are at 10 p.m. Eastern.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/jenkins-scores-28-in-d-league-game/njrpC/

Also Mack is out with a calf strain for at least a week.  I wonder if Jenkins will at least get activated for the Hawks bench.   I know Mack was getting some time at the 2.   

• Like 2

• Moderators

D-league All-Star, but NBA scrub.  I like Bazemore & Thabo which means there's no room for Jenk.  Best we can hope for is he continues being a success in D-league and we can use him to sweeten the deal on a trade.  I would be nice if we could get Plumlee to get a 7'0" post center on our bench.

It's a shame he was injured last year because he flashed some potential during his rookie season. Don't think he'll ever crack the rotation this season with Thabo and Bazemore though.  Like dolfan said another team will definitely scoop him up seein' as how 3pt shooters are hot commodities and Jenkins was the best shooter from his draft class.

I absolutely hate that we're not getting him playing time and he's going to leave as a free agent after the season. Teams that lose dead eye shooters end up regretting it...

Like the Bulks trading Kyle for a TPE.

I would much rather see him get playing time over Mack. Just keep him around as a replacement for Teague or Schröder every 4-5 games to keep the rust off and get them rest. 

It's encouraging to hear that Jenkins did his damage playing forward last night. He's awful small there and I have a hard time seeing him defend from there but it's nice he was able to have success playing against a likely bigger player.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would much rather see him get playing time over Mack. Just keep him around as a replacement for Teague or Schröder every 4-5 games to keep the rust off and get them rest. 

It's encouraging to hear that Jenkins did his damage playing forward last night. He's awful small there and I have a hard time seeing him defend from there but it's nice he was able to have success playing against a likely bigger player.

I was about to mention this.  With Mack out, it could be Jenkins time to shine.  Only prob is Jenkins isn't a PG which Mack is and as you said, Jenkins makes our backcourt small.  Jenkins is starting to look like the ugly duckling amongst our 2/3 rotation.

• Premium Member

I absolutely hate that we're not getting him playing time and he's going to leave as a free agent after the season. Teams that lose dead eye shooters end up regretting it...

I think (???) Jenkins might still be RFA even though the Hawks declined the fourth-year option...seem to remember that from the Chandler Parsons saga in Houston.  Maybe the resident cap tsar can weigh in...

EDIT: Never you mind. Apparently that's only true for 2nd rounders (which is stupid).

Edited by mrhonline
  • Like 1

It's obvious he can shoot, but I think what Bud will value the most out of him is his defense. That's probably the main (and only) reason why he hasn't gotten minutes this season.

Edited by ATLHawks3

I think (???) Jenkins might still be RFA even though the Hawks declined the fourth-year option...seem to remember that from the Chandler Parsons saga in Houston.  Maybe the resident cap tsar can weigh in...

EDIT: Never you mind. Apparently that's only true for 2nd rounders (which is stupid).

The Hawks willingly turned down his 4th year option and have basically parted ways with Jenkins for all intents and purposes. This is pretty much Jared Cunningham part 2. I'm expecting Jenkins to be released after the trade deadline if we don't use him in a trade. That would clear up a roster spot, which is more value than what Jenkins would give us. It also speeds up Jenkins process of finding playing time, so we would be doing him a favor.

But yeah, no RFA when you turn down an option year in a rookie scale contract. Parson did not sign to a rookie scale, even though he did have a team option turned down over the offseason. I blame the attorneys for this.

The Hawks willingly turned down his 4th year option and have basically parted ways with Jenkins for all intents and purposes. This is pretty much Jared Cunningham part 2. I'm expecting Jenkins to be released after the trade deadline if we don't use him in a trade. That would clear up a roster spot, which is more value than what Jenkins would give us. It also speeds up Jenkins process of finding playing time, so we would be doing him a favor.

But yeah, no RFA when you turn down an option year in a rookie scale contract. Parson did not sign to a rookie scale, even though he did have a team option turned down over the offseason. I blame the attorneys for this.

I wonder if the Sixers, Jazz and Bulls would think that empty roster spot is worth more than a guy who can shoot lights out.