• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Interested In Ray Allen

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Our differential with Korver on/off the court is pretty big if I remember correctly.  It's not like we're putting ray out there 20 minutes a game.  But if we're looking for points or trying running an in bounds play for a last second shot.  Why wouldn't we want him?   I mean what's the downside?  It's not like if he's a defensive liability Bud is just going to continue to play him big minutes.   

I want to have options.   Our wing rotation right now is Korver, DMC, Baze, Thabo and Mack.   The last two have been hurt so we're playing two PGs sometimes.  But that ain't going to work very long against playoff teams like the bulls or cavs or raptors.   While i like all those guys that's not a lot of offensive firepower at the wing.   Ray would change that.   And he'd be great insurance should we have injuries to guys higher up the rotation. 

• Like 1

Our differential with Korver on/off the court is pretty big if I remember correctly.  It's not like we're putting ray out there 20 minutes a game.  But if we're looking for points or trying running an in bounds play for a last second shot.  Why wouldn't we want him?   I mean what's the downside?  It's not like if he's a defensive liability Bud is just going to continue to play him big minutes.   

I want to have options.   Our wing rotation right now is Korver, DMC, Baze, Thabo and Mack.   The last two have been hurt so we're playing two PGs sometimes.  But that ain't going to work very long against playoff teams like the bulls or cavs or raptors.   While i like all those guys that's not a lot of offensive firepower at the wing.   Ray would change that.   And he'd be great insurance should we have injuries to guys higher up the rotation.

Agreed. With a healthy DMC, Thabo, and Bazemore, we are strong on the wings defensively. We need to add some offensive power from the perimeter. Who better than Allen?

• Moderators

He didn't really look that good last year and his defense has gotten awful. He's no better on the court than John Jenkins at this point, at least not much better. I don't know how much of a leader he is either as he never won anything prior to riding the coat tails of LeBraun (great nickname BTW whomever it was that coined that).

If that were true i'd say no too but i'm not sure how you compare a guy who was playing 25 minutes a game for the team that went to the finals, shot nearly 40% from 3 all season and through the playoffs to a guy who can't crack a 13 man roster and say they are about the same.   The nba experience factor alone makes him light years better right now.    

The only reason i see to not sign him would be to not disrupt the chemistry but that seems short sighted.   To me this is Robert Horry just available there when you need him.

How can you get fined for talking about a guy who's a free agent? 

It was a little confusing, but they started out talking about trades and he said he didn't want to get fined. Right after that he was asked about Ray Allen and he said no comment(not his exact words).

Something is definitely in the works and it sounded like there are several options that are being looked at. The way he responded to the Ray Allen question sounded like it's definitely an option they are looking at. He said we will hear more when it gets closer to the deadline.

• Like 1

If that were true i'd say no too but i'm not sure how you compare a guy who was playing 25 minutes a game for the team that went to the finals, shot nearly 40% from 3 all season and through the playoffs to a guy who can't crack a 13 man roster and say they are about the same.   The nba experience factor alone makes him light years better right now.    

The only reason i see to not sign him would be to not disrupt the chemistry but that seems short sighted.   To me this is Robert Horry just available there when you need him.

I can see getting excited about 2-3 years ago Ray but this is a 39 year old guy who's taken half the season off and isn't even in playing shape. Maybe he can help and if we sign him then I'll trust the team but I'm not expecting him to sign with the Hawks nor am I thinking he's going to be that much help. In fact I'd be willing to bet that his impact on the court will be negligible at best.

• Like 3

I'd rather us look for another perimeter defender. Defense at this point is much more important than adding more offense.

Not sure I agree with this. Looking long-term (i.e. playoffs) when we get Thabo back we have 3 elite level wing defenders in DMC, Baze, and Thabo. We don't have ANYONE else that can fill the Korver role as an offensive threat coming off the bench. JJ could be that guy, but obviously there is some reason that Bud is reluctant to play him in the regular rotation. And I think we all agree that Bud seems to know what he's doing?

As I said earlier, without having that 3 point shooting threat on the floor when Korver takes a break, our offensive efficiency is 15 points lower. That is HUGE. By far the biggest number for any player on the team. It helps illustrate just how important that threat is to keep the driving lanes more open, and keep help defenders from crashing down on Millsap and Horford in the paint.

So what that Allen isn't a great defender. Korver isn't a great on-ball defender either, but he is an excellent help defender and I'm sure Bud could get Allen to at least try to mimic some of the things Korver does on defense if he's only having to play 15-18 minutes per night. DMC/Thabo/or Baze would be on the floor with him to handle the big perimeter threat, just like we do with Korver. 

And I'll say it one more time, I would really like to have someone on the team that would allow us to reduce the heavy workload we are currently giving Korver at his age. 33 MPG isn't a ridiculous number, but he's not a spring chicken anymore. I'd much rather have him fresher for the playoffs if we have an option to add a player that could help make that happen.

• Like 1

It was a little confusing, but they started out talking about trades and he said he didn't want to get fined. Right after that he was asked about Ray Allen and he said no comment(not his exact words).

Something is definitely in the works and it sounded like there are several options that are being looked at. The way he responded to the Ray Allen question sounded like it's definitely an option they are looking at. He said we will hear more when it gets closer to the deadline.

My hope is that they are looking at a younger veteran who can provide a presence on both ends of the floor. A true 3 and D type who can come off the bench and be a factor. Someone say 28-32ish years old? I have no idea who it is but that's exciting to hear about them possibly making a move. It's interesting that there was an interview with Bud just the other day where he talked about the chances of making a move being slim because they're worried about disrupting chemistry. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure how reliable C-Viv is tho. I kid.

My hope is that they are looking at a younger veteran who can provide a presence on both ends of the floor. A true 3 and D type who can come off the bench and be a factor. Someone say 28-32ish years old? I have no idea who it is but that's exciting to hear about them possibly making a move. It's interesting that there was an interview with Bud just the other day where he talked about the chances of making a move being slim because they're worried about disrupting chemistry. 

It's definitely exciting to hear something is in the works. Of course, that doesn't mean something will happen, but it sounded like there is a good chance.

There are a few other veterans that would fit in here who could help and we don't really need much help. Just somebody to put us over the top. I like the thought of Ray Allen and he could be a great addition. Of course, I also see your negative points about him, but we don't need him to play a ton of minutes. I wonder if there is a chance that Payne could be included in a trade if we go that route. No telling.

Koonin also mentioned that the assistant GM is very hard at work right now and doing a great job. Good to know we have him and it's not taking up too much of Bud's time.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure I understand the comments about being loath to give up defense.  You are giving up Jenkins who isn't a defender.  On the minutes side, you use him for whatever you want.  Obviously, the guy doesn't care a lot about minutes or he would be playing.  I would guess he cares a lot about winning and his skills are the type that Bud is well suited to deploy strategically - perhaps rotating him onto the court on offense and subbing Thabo / Baze on D for a series of stop and go situations.  If you don't need him, he sits.  If you do need him, well Thabo / Baze sure can't stretch the floor like he can!

Not sure I understand the comments about being loath to give up defense.  You are giving up Jenkins who isn't a defender.  On the minutes side, you use him for whatever you want.  Obviously, the guy doesn't care a lot about minutes or he would be playing.  I would guess he cares a lot about winning and his skills are the type that Bud is well suited to deploy strategically - perhaps rotating him onto the court on offense and subbing Thabo / Baze on D for a series of stop and go situations.  If you don't need him, he sits.  If you do need him, well Thabo / Baze sure can't stretch the floor like he can!

It's not losing defense vs those minutes played by Jenkins, it's losing defense vs those minutes played by DMC / Thabo / Bazemore and even Korver compared to Ray at this point. He's a big drop off defensively vs the 1st 3 and I'd say he's still a pretty good drop off from Korver as well.

Yeah Dolfan...I may end up eating my words but I'd be happy with him signing with CLE.  I'd rather they have a 39 year old rust bucket who will need time to get back to whatever playing shape he can get in at that age than our guys having to nurse him along.

He would be stupid to sign with us anyway - a team where he would have to work his rear end off (yes, I know he has always been an "in-shape worker").  Father time doesn't play favorites - just ask a certain 39 year old golfer.  He can go to CLE and if everything works out he can play some games and do a few heroic things from time to time.  Chances are he won't be much of a factor this year.

I trust the guys in charge to do the right thing.  I wouldn't mind him taking Bazemore's minutes.  That said, I really wouldn't consider giving more than a second rounder for him...and I wouldn't do it if it cost us losing Jenkins.  Ray's experience and knock down shooting are enticing, but he is old and it doesn't sound like his contract is cheap....a lot would depend on the details for me to take him on is all I'm saying I guess.

He didn't really look that good last year and his defense has gotten awful. He's no better on the court than John Jenkins at this point, at least not much better. I don't know how much of a leader he is either as he never won anything prior to riding the coat tails of LeBraun (great nickname BTW whomever it was that coined that).

Wasn't you telling everyone that Allen's defense wasn't that bad?

• Like 1

Ray is/was a good player...but his days are gone.  The guy would be a borderline stopgap at best - let the man retire with dignity - unless he has p!ssed all his money away - then he can get a 2 year in Israel.

It's not as bad as Jenkins is at this point but it's not good that's for sure. But being 39 and missing half a season of conditioning worries me the most.

Hawks better not give up anything for Ray Allen. I don't know his contract but I don't want him unless it's for free. Maybe a future second round pick. Maybe.

He's a free agent...