Private agendas still at play in Hawks’ offices

Admin

Well that is strange considering you were one of the more active participants in the thread:

You know how I know you don't read my posts? {/sarcasm}

I kid, I kid.

I have a terrible memory but I know I didn't and wouldn't listen to a podcast that long with my ADD! I would have just responded to the posts.

Bud is President of Basketball Operations right now . . . so that means he has the final say, correct? Even if Wilcox is doing the wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, it's Bud that has to sign off on any move he makes. Then ownership has to financially approve the move ( if it will cost them money ).

I don't think he has any real power or final sign off. He's holding that position in title or that's my opinion at least.

Bud is President of Basketball Operations right now . . . so that means he has the final say, correct?  Even if Wilcox is doing the wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, it's Bud that has to sign off on any move he makes.  Then ownership has to financially approve the move ( if it will cost them money ).

This is correct. Except for the part about Wilcox doing the wheeling and dealing and that Bud simply has to sign off on it. Like most sports organizations these days, it's a collaborative effort. The Coach, the GM, the personnel guys, the salary cap guys, they all debate these players and possible moves until they get on the same page and reach a unified group decision. If push ever came to shove, then yes Bud (or Ferry before he was exiled) would have the final say-so. But this is something that from all reports from many different organizations that simply never happens. If they can't get on the same page, they debate until they do.

This is why during Bud's recent interview on 92.9 when asked what has changed since he's been promoted to the acting president in Ferry's absence? His response was not much has changed at all. He was already sitting in on all the meetings and discussions before Ferry left. He said there were a few minor more additions to his time requirements handling some things; but for the most part his participation level hasn't changed much because he was already a full participant to begin with. The extra responsibilities Wilcox has taken on are simply doing a lot of the legwork that Ferry was doing and the administrative roles required of a G.M.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have no sense right now how exactly the gm role is being handled except that Bud is part of it.

Are the owners getting involved? I hope not but Gearon is the lead right now and he loves to meddle.

Is Ferry running the show from offsite? Involved at all? who knows?

Is Wilcox empowered to do much? Is he making the calls that led to the Payne trade for a possible first? Not sure. I would guess he is taking the lead on most of this but I've got no real visibility into the situation.

I think just from a time management perspective Bud can't possibly be in the weeds on that stuff.

I'm not sure we will have clarity until after the sale. The good news is that we have a roster with good depth and excellent fit and stability this season. Not swinging a trade for a 2015 asset is ok with me given our situation.

Edited by AHF

Really?  I haven't seen that.   That would seem like a really strange think for the acting GM to do.

Wilcox is the acting GM since that's the job of the assistant when the GM is on sabbatical. Bud is acting president of basketball operations I think someone said, but I'm not sure that's accurate. 

Wilcox is the acting GM since that's the job of the assistant when the GM is on sabbatical. Bud is acting president of basketball operations I think someone said, but I'm not sure that's accurate. 

Atlanta chief executive Steve Koonin said Friday that Ferry requested an indefinite leave of absence after making remarks. Head coach Mike Budenholzer will take over the operations of the team. http://zeenews.india.com/sports/danny-ferry-steps-away-from-atlanta-hawks-operations_1469197.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/q-and-a-with-hawks-coach-mike-budenholzer/nhT3z/

Q&A with Budenholzer

Q. So (CEO) Steve Koonin comes to you and says he wants you to assume the general manager duties, how will you juggle both roles?

A. We have an incredible group here with our management and our basketball operations, scouts, assistant coaches and medical staff. I think it’s what we feel is the best solution in a tough time. I’m excited to continue to fight for our guy, protect our guys and protect what we have been building and continue to move us forward. We have done everything collaboratively since I arrived. So in a lot of ways as much as possible we are going to continue to work and continue to do business. In a tough time, this is the best solution.

Q. With the roster as it stands, there isn’t a lot of do. Will you lean on the staff and are there others outside the organization you can bounce ideas off?

A. With our roster for the most part in place, the players are always the most important thing and so I think if we continue to keep our focus on the players, making sure we have the right group here. (Assistant GM) Wes (Wilcox) and his group will continue to work and we are always looking for ways to improve and get better. I’m open and will lean on people occasionally but the more we work together and move us forward the better we are going to be.

Edited by RandomFan

Atlanta chief executive Steve Koonin said Friday that Ferry requested an indefinite leave of absence after making remarks. Head coach Mike Budenholzer will take over the operations of the team. http://zeenews.india.com/sports/danny-ferry-steps-away-from-atlanta-hawks-operations_1469197.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/q-and-a-with-hawks-coach-mike-budenholzer/nhT3z/

Q&A with Budenholzer

Q. So (CEO) Steve Koonin comes to you and says he wants you to assume the general manager duties, how will you juggle both roles?

A. We have an incredible group here with our management and our basketball operations, scouts, assistant coaches and medical staff. I think it’s what we feel is the best solution in a tough time. I’m excited to continue to fight for our guy, protect our guys and protect what we have been building and continue to move us forward. We have done everything collaboratively since I arrived. So in a lot of ways as much as possible we are going to continue to work and continue to do business. In a tough time, this is the best solution.

Q. With the roster as it stands, there isn’t a lot of do. Will you lean on the staff and are there others outside the organization you can bounce ideas off?

A. With our roster for the most part in place, the players are always the most important thing and so I think if we continue to keep our focus on the players, making sure we have the right group here. (Assistant GM) Wes (Wilcox) and his group will continue to work and we are always looking for ways to improve and get better. I’m open and will lean on people occasionally but the more we work together and move us forward the better we are going to be.

Yeah back in September that's how it was but from what I've heard Wilcox is the acting GM now. 

Yeah back in September that's how it was but from what I've heard Wilcox is the acting GM now. 

He was the acting GM then too. Nothing has changed. But Bud is still in charge of basketball operations; which means Wilcox still reports to Bud in the grand scheme of things. But again, it's all collaborative. So the pecking order is really irrelevant.

He was the acting GM then too. Nothing has changed. But Bud is still in charge of basketball operations; which means Wilcox still reports to Bud in the grand scheme of things. But again, it's all collaborative. So the pecking order is really irrelevant.

That's fine if you'd like to believe that Bud is the acting GM or calling the shots. That's contrary to what I've heard but we can agree to disagree on it. I do agree the pecking order is irrelevant though.

That's fine if you'd like to believe that Bud is the acting GM or calling the shots. That's contrary to what I've heard but we can agree to disagree on it. I do agree the pecking order is irrelevant though.

What?

I said Wilcox was the acting GM then too, not Bud. But Bud is in charge. It's not a question of believing or not believing who is actually the person with the final say-so; that question was answered from Koonin's mouth himself.

But this is silly. We're arguing over something unimportant at best.