• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is what could work for us?

Diesel

This is the regular season.

Teams that win championships almost always have an inside anchor that rebounds and/or block shots. Even Chicago had Dennis Rodman, Detroit had Ben Wallace the Spurs last year had Duncan who is still an elite rebounder and shot blocker. 

People that want to compare this Hawks team to last years Spurs or the 2004 Pistons continue to ignore that fact. 

If Bud doesn't see a problem with getting outrebounded by 20 rebounds then he has a problem.

Gonna chalk this one up to the old parable about leading a horse to water, but can't make them drink. It's obvious that some people refuse to see the truth until a championship trophy is being waved in their face. So be it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Gonna chalk this one up to the old parable about leading a horse to water, but can't make them drink. It's obvious that some people refuse to see the truth until a championship trophy is being waved in their face. So be it.

RF.  Some things about basketball just don't change.  When we get to playoff ball, there will be bad shooting nights.  Teams lock down the defenses, stop the transition buckets, and make the game a halfcourt game.  Our game is about efficiency right now but when the playoffs show up, we better have a way to win when the shots aren't falling as well.

• Like 1

RF.  Some things about basketball just don't change.  When we get to playoff ball, there will be bad shooting nights.  Teams lock down the defenses, stop the transition buckets, and make the game a halfcourt game.  Our game is about efficiency right now but when the playoffs show up, we better have a way to win when the shots aren't falling as well.

We can agree to disagree. And while some things in basketball don't change, that doesn't mean rebounding importance is one of them. Most of the relevant data suggest exactly the oppostie. I'm not questioning anyone's right to disagree; simply taking the time to point out where I think those disagreements are illogical or unfounded.

You question our playoff credentials, that is your right. We'll agree to disagree, because I don't. One of us will be proven right in a few months. I guess it's easier for some to forget the Indy series last year than others? I seem to remember our game translating to the playoffs pretty well, even in the 1st year of the system, missing our best player, and missing a few new wing defenders.

But we'll definitely find out.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

That's not what I've been seeing the last 3 weeks. This team was gassed at the all star break... How are they going to make a championship when they were running on fumes heading into the all star break?

We can agree to disagree. And while some things in basketball don't change, that doesn't mean rebounding importance is one of them. Most of the relevant data suggest exactly the oppostie. I'm not questioning anyone's right to disagree; simply taking the time to point out where I think those disagreements are illogical or unfounded.

You question our playoff credentials, that is your right. We'll agree to disagree, because I don't. One of us will be proven right in a few months. I guess it's easier for some to forget the Indy series last year than others? I seem to remember our game translating to the playoffs pretty well, even in the 1st year of the system, missing our best player, and missing a few new wing defenders.

What matters to me is who has been holding up the trophy over the last few decades. And those teams have mostly had a double figure rebounder and big man. That's what matters.

If giving up several offensive rebounds doesn't matter... Then neither does turnovers. Giving up offensive rebounds is not a lot different than turning the ball over. It's one less possession you get to score and one more possession the other team gets.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

If giving up several offensive rebounds doesn't matter... Then neither does turnovers. Giving up offensive rebounds is not a lot different than turning the ball over. It's one less possession you get to score and one more possession the other team gets.

I think the point RF was making was - we are doing OK on defensive rebounding - we just get back on defense and don't aggressively go for offensive rebounds ourselves in order to set our defense. The disparity is mostly due to lack of "O" rebounds and we aren't bad at defensive rebounding.

What matters to me is who has been holding up the trophy over the last few decades. And those teams have mostly had a double figure rebounder and big man. That's what matters.

brick%20wall.gif                                                                  

Remind me again how many NBA Champions over the last 10 years were even in the top 10 in rebounds per game? The 06 Heat and the 09 Lakers, that's who. 2 out of 10. Allow me to point out the obvious: 8 of the last 10 NBA Champs have not been in the top 10 in rebounding. Do you care to revise that first statement? If it really mattered to you who was holding up trophies, you wouldn't still be banging your head against a wall soapboxing for a stat that is one of the least important indicators of championship pedigree.

How do you continue to miss the obvious that the team is sacrificing rebounds in order to be better in other areas?

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

brick%20wall.gif                                                                  

Remind me again how many NBA Champions over the last 10 years were even in the top 10 in rebounds per game? The 06 Heat and the 09 Lakers, that's who. 2 out of 10. Allow me to point out the obvious: 8 of the last 10 NBA Champs have not been in the top 10 in rebounding. Do you care to revise that first statement? If it really mattered to you who was holding up trophies, you wouldn't still be banging your head against a wall soapboxing for a stat that is one of the least important indicators of championship pedigree.

How do you continue to miss the obvious that the team is sacrificing rebounds in order to be better in other areas?

But those teams had an anchor that rebounds and block shots. That's what some people are unwilling to accept. It's been proven time and time again.  The playoffs is a whole new season and guys like Tim Duncan, Shaq are and their ability to take up space and control the paint (in edition to rebounding and blocking shots) is what matters. How can people ignore this?

Undersized little front courts don't contend for championships.

I'm not banging my head up against the wall... The people that believe that Millsap, Horford and teague are actually good enough to contend for a title are the ones banging their head against the wall.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

And if this wasn't comparing apples to oranges, that might seem amusing. But as it stands, thats only a snarky half-wit deepity.

Having taking Orthography is school - I figure the term "half-wit" is actually a compliment for the most part...meaning they at least have half a "wit"..."deepity" is a word I cannot find in my orthography texts:

---

The English word orthography dates from the 15th century. It comes from the French orthographie, from Latin orthographia, which derives from Greek ὀρθός orthós, "correct", and γράφειν gráphein, "to write".[1]

Orthography is largely concerned with matters of spelling, and in particular the relationship between phonemes and graphemes in a language.

---

"snarky" is another word altogether...generally meaning uncomfortable or "mean-ish" in general. It is usually thought of as a word of derision and is usually taken as an insult.

see: "Snarky c_cks_cker...snarky bast@d...and snarky MF'er.

as a rule - using the term(s) "snarky half-wit" in today's language would be thought of as a personal insult...worthy of banning or at least a time on probation. ;-)

Just my humble opinion.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

Game 7

I'm glad that you mentioned our playoffs against the Pacers.  Some people thought that we won, but we lost this series.   There's two reasons we lost.  Efficiency and rebounding.  I have shown you the stats from games 4-7.  We won game 5.  We lost 4, 6, and 7.  Examine the difference.  In game 6, we lost the efficiency war and we were out-rebounded.  This is what happens in Playoff ball.  Last year's Pacers were a team made for us to beat.  They were not a good offensive team and they had problems defending the perimeter.  Our gameplan worked perfectly for them.  However, what happens when Washington or Toronto is in our way for a 7 game set??  We better have an answer for when shots aren't falling and we're playing a team with active bigs.  Basketball has not changed.

Edited by Diesel

• Moderators

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

Game 7

I'm glad that you mentioned our playoffs against the Pacers.  Some people thought that we won, but we lost this series.   There's two reasons we lost.  Efficiency and rebounding.  I have shown you the stats from games 4-7.  We won game 5.  We lost 4, 6, and 7.  Examine the difference.  In game 6, we lost the efficiency war and we were out-rebounded.  This is what happens in Playoff ball.  Last year's Pacers were a team made for us to beat.  They were not a good offensive team and they had problems defending the perimeter.  Our gameplan worked perfectly for them.  However, what happens when Washington or Toronto is in our way for a 7 game set??  We better have an answer for when shots aren't falling and we're playing a team with active bigs.  Basketball has not changed.

What the hell?   Is anyone watching the games?   Horford outrebounded Nene and Gortat COMBINED when we played them two weeks ago.    "Active Bigs".   You think Nene and Gortat are better active bigs than Sap and Horford?   Is there a team in the league that would choose Nene and Gortat over Sap and Horford to be their front line?  I don't think so.   We better have an answer?  We've had an answer more than any team in the league so far.   

• Like 1

Naw man but like the regular season means nothing, they ain't even playing basketball. Basketball starts in the playoffs where teams entirely reinvent themselves and play the type of dominating gameplan against the Hawks that they were to savvy to reveal to any team for the 82 games prior.

• Like 3

What the hell?   Is anyone watching the games?   Horford outrebounded Nene and Gortat COMBINED when we played them two weeks ago.    "Active Bigs".   You think Nene and Gortat are better active bigs than Sap and Horford?   Is there a team in the league that would choose Nene and Gortat over Sap and Horford to be their front line?  I don't think so.   We better have an answer?  We've had an answer more than any team in the league so far.   

I think the Hawks can beat Washington, but a healthy Gasol/Noah will be tough for the hawks to deal with.

Millsap and Horford haven't looked good against Gasol/Zbo and they probably will not look good against Gasol/Noah in the playoffs either.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators

I think the Hawks can beat Washington, but a healthy Gasol/Noah will be tough for the hawks to deal with.

Millsap and Horford haven't looked good against Gasol/Zbo and they probably will not look good against Gasol/Noah in the playoffs either.

I agree that Gasol/Noah are really good and difficult for us although I think the extent that Pau causes us problem is overblown.   I love seeing him on the court because he can't keep up with any of our guys.    

• Like 1

Naw man but like the regular season means nothing, they ain't even playing basketball. Basketball starts in the playoffs where teams entirely reinvent themselves and play the type of dominating gameplan against the Hawks that they were to savvy to reveal to any team for the 82 games prior.

Agreed.  These first 82 games are just an illusion.  Expect every team (except the Hawgs) to morph into the monstars once the playoffs start.  See, cause, the Hawgs are the only team that will make no adjustments.  None.

The two bolded words will never be used together so I'm not worried about that vaunted Bulls combo.

Having taking Orthography is school - I figure the term "half-wit" is actually a compliment for the most part...meaning they at least have half a "wit"..."deepity" is a word I cannot find in my orthography texts:

---

The English word orthography dates from the 15th century. It comes from the French orthographie, from Latin orthographia, which derives from Greek ὀρθός orthós, "correct", and γράφειν gráphein, "to write".[1]

Orthography is largely concerned with matters of spelling, and in particular the relationship between phonemes and graphemes in a language.

---

"snarky" is another word altogether...generally meaning uncomfortable or "mean-ish" in general. It is usually thought of as a word of derision and is usually taken as an insult.

see: "Snarky c_cks_cker...snarky bast@d...and snarky MF'er.

as a rule - using the term(s) "snarky half-wit" in today's language would be thought of as a personal insult...worthy of banning or at least a time on probation. ;-)

Just my humble opinion.

Then allow me to rephrase. It was a smart-ass, half thought out, pile of b.s - that was written. That's not a personal attack; it's an attack on the substance written (or lack thereof).

Deepity is a phrase coined by the philosopher Dan Dennett. It's probably the wrong context if you want to get technical, but I haven't been able to use the word in far too long!

• Premium Member

I agree that Gasol/Noah are really good and difficult for us although I think the extent that Pau causes us problem is overblown.   I love seeing him on the court because he can't keep up with any of our guys.    

I know..  Pau has gone from a buster to Wilt in one season.  He's good but he's not the formidable foe people making him out to be.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Agreed. These first 82 games are just an illusion. Expect every team (except the Hawgs) to morph into the monstars once the playoffs start. See, cause, the Hawgs are the only team that will make no adjustments. None.

The two bolded words will never be used together so I'm not worried about that vaunted Bulls combo.

Exactly this.