• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Atlanta Hawks’ Secret Sauce

Great article and i'm kind of sorry i derailed the whole post with talk about Bud leaving. Levenson brought in Ferry, Ferry brought in Bud who took the job because he and Ferry were on the same page. Now Levenson and Ferry are about to be gone and the owners that pushed them out the door want to stay. It's hard to feel like Bud is a lock to stay during all this turmoil especially when teams will start coming after him because of his success. And Koonin? Remember there's no guarantee that he keeps his job with new ownership.

Koonin is also part owner.

This is what was reported back in April 2014. " According to the team, Koonin will oversee all business, financial and strategic operations of Hawks and Philips Arena. He will also acquire an equity position within the ownership group and represent the owners as head of the organization."

Levenson said in a statement " The Hawks are thrilled that Steve is joining the ownership.group as both our CEO and partner.

Ferry is said to be ecstatic by the addition.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/breaking-hawks-to-hire-turner-executive-as-ceo/nfY4T/

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

First, I was planning to lock the thread since extracting it from the side discussions that ensued seems a bit arduous.

But since it's still pretty new, I'd rather keep it open, as it seems the Budferrypalooza stuff has run its course.

Second, Great article!

~lw3

• Moderators

Back on topic, it seems that Millsap is one of the guys who seems to have a real grasp and appreciation of Bud's scheme.   That's encouraging as far as him re-signing with us.   It's also interesting the angle of this system being less physically demanding on the players.  That coupled with lower minutes than typical for our starters should play well in the playoffs

• Like 2

I wonder if this gives more insight into the trading of Payne. Was he not able to rewire his rebounding instincts to get back in transition? Couple this with the ESPN "Muppet" article and you see that everyone has to play their role precisely for the unit to work. If he's fighting for offensive rebounds, it throws off the whole defensive scheme.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Back on topic, it seems that Millsap is one of the guys who seems to have a real grasp and appreciation of Bud's scheme.   That's encouraging as far as him re-signing with us.   It's also interesting the angle of this system being less physically demanding on the players.  That coupled with lower minutes than typical for our starters should play well in the playoffs

I wonder if this gives more insight into the trading of Payne. Was he not able to rewire his rebounding instincts to get back in transition? Couple this with the ESPN "Muppet" article and you see that everyone has to play their role precisely for the unit to work. If he's fighting for offensive rebounds, it throws off the whole defensive scheme.

At the risk of detouring the thread a second time in three pages...

I've been thinking to myself since the deadline that you wouldn't think you'd ever toss back into the deck the ace draft pick you just gained who happens to play the same position where your starter is a UFA unless you're pretty daggone convinced the UFA isn't going anywhere.

This is the other part of the San Antonio milieu we have to hope will translate... players who approach free agency with a team mentality, having determined that their careers are better in the long-term to stay put... but yeah, to do that, you have to have an ownership group and administration that talks and walks the stability mantra.

• Like 3

I was concerned about the SAS jumping up and grabbing Budz back but there's another landing spot to be worried about.

He was at the GT game last night with his kids decked out in YellowJacket gear.  We'll have an opening after the season.  Sorry fellow Hawks fanz but Budz and Buzz are a match made in heaven.

I'm kidding of course but it's a good sign he appears to be folding into the Atlanta community that @hawksfanatic and his "sources" claim he hates.  Hawksfanatic has multiple sources like Broussard.

• Premium Member

I was concerned about the SAS jumping up and grabbing Budz back but there's another landing spot to be worried about.

He was at the GT game last night with his kids decked out in YellowJacket gear.  We'll have an opening after the season.  Sorry fellow Hawks fanz but Budz and Buzz are a match made in heaven.

I'm kidding of course but it's a good sign he appears to be folding into the Atlanta community that @hawksfanatic and his "sources" claim he hates.  Hawksfanatic has multiple sources like Broussard.

@hawksfanatic

22938268.jpg

• Like 1

Funny watching Brad Daugherty's list of ways to stop Russell Westbrook: he says "get offensive rebounds", then immediately afterwards, "get back in transition".

He thinks everyone is the Grizzlies, and even they would probably temper their offensive rebound attempts. Getting back is much more important to me and it isn't even close.

Edited by benhillboy