• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JaVale McGee

RandomFan

• Moderators

So are we going into the playoffs with an open roster spot while Payne is proving he can play up in Minnesota?

I think you are overselling his performance in Minny.

22.7 mpg

6.3 ppg

31.3% FG%

36.3% TS%

HORRIBLE

ORTG 79

UGHHH THIS TASTES TERRIBLE

DRTG 113

OH, THIS IS AWFUL

3.9 PER

NOT SURE IT WENT THAT LOW, DISGUSTING

-0.096 WS/48

CAN'T HOLD BACK ANY LONGER....

tumblr_kv4tbsPFnB1qzo9rro1_250.gif

• Premium Member

If the Spurs are interested, I'm interested. What do they see that the rest of us can't?

You mean the rest of yall.

The guy is athletic, he's a natural shot blocker, he's physical and he's young.  He's like a mold of clay.  IF he doesn't pan out, you can always drop him.. no harm no foul.  However, we approach the thought of picking up a talent as if it will ruin team chemistry forever???  Really?  This could be a gift.

• Moderators

So he's already better than Pero.

Hmmmm...

PP36 - Pero better

FG% - Pero better

TS% - Pero better

Ortg - Pero better

Drtg - Pero better

PER - Pero better

WS/48 - Pero better

I'm not sure "better" means what you think it means!

princess_bride_060.jpg

• Moderators

Payne's shooting has been putrid. I can't believe he's struggling this much to shoot the ball at this level. I expect he'll get it figured out at some point though and still be a good player. 

He is plenty young enough to do that and we are talking about small sample size but he has been terrible so far.  Anyone who craps on Pero should be destroying Payne twice as bad.

He is plenty young enough to do that and we are talking about small sample size but he has been terrible so far.  Anyone who craps on Pero should be destroying Payne twice as bad.

Thats the thing with Payne: he isn´t a really young player. 4 years of College is the most experience you will get with a rookie unless you take a guy like Antić from Europe (who still has to adjust to the American game anyway). 24 years isn´t old, for sure. But it´s not like his game will make big leaps forward at that age.

He shot poorly in Summer Lague play (37%) and he shoots poorly in Minnesota. 31% from the field as an athletic 6'10 guy is just bad. He is more of a face-up player and his shot just isn´t good enough to do that on the NBA level. Coupled with a putrid FGA to FTA ratio (8:1), his ability to score is just really bad for a PF and he doesn´t add much else except decent rebounding and the occasional block on defense. And there are tons of players that can do that better.

Edited by kurupt

• Moderators

Thats the thing with Payne: he isn´t a really young player. 4 years of College is the most experience you will get with a rookie unless you take a guy like Antić from Europe (who still has to adjust to the American game anyway). 24 years isn´t old, for sure. But it´s not like his game will make big leaps forward at that age.

He shot poorly in Summer Lague play (37%) and he shoots poorly in Minnesota. 31% from the field as an athletic 6'10 guy is just bad. He is more of a face-up player and his shot just isn´t good enough to do that on the NBA level. Coupled with a putrid FGA to FTA ratio (8:1), his ability to score is just really bad for a PF and he doesn´t add much else except decent rebounding and the occasional block on defense. And there are tons of players that can do that better.

My theory - and I acknowledge that it is nothing more than my best guess - is that Bud / Ferry, et al. concluded that the screwed up with Payne and that he wasn't worth waiting on.  I.e., that he was a bust and best to get value for him before he turns into our next Jenkins.  I'm not really arguing with you, I am just acknowledging he is young enough to still make big leaps in his game.  For example, Ben Wallace made his big improvements at a later age.  Heck, Teague has made his big leap at age 26 (average at 23, to slightly better at 24, to middle-of-the-pack starting PG at age 25, to All-Star at age 26).

My theory - and I acknowledge that it is nothing more than my best guess - is that Bud / Ferry, et al. concluded that the screwed up with Payne and that he wasn't worth waiting on.  I.e., that he was a bust and best to get value for him before he turns into our next Jenkins.  I'm not really arguing with you, I am just acknowledging he is young enough to still make big leaps in his game.  For example, Ben Wallace made his big improvements at a later age.  Heck, Teague has made his big leap at age 26 (average at 23, to slightly better at 24, to middle-of-the-pack starting PG at age 25, to All-Star at age 26).

Jeff showed a great deal of talent out of college. Payne always looked like a role player at best type.

• Moderators

Jeff showed a great deal of talent out of college. Payne always looked like a role player at best type.

Obviously, Ferry didn't think so on draft day.  I think he changed his mind but that is my speculation.

My theory - and I acknowledge that it is nothing more than my best guess - is that Bud / Ferry, et al. concluded that the screwed up with Payne and that he wasn't worth waiting on. I.e., that he was a bust and best to get value for him before he turns into our next Jenkins. I'm not really arguing with you, I am just acknowledging he is young enough to still make big leaps in his game. For example, Ben Wallace made his big improvements at a later age. Heck, Teague has made his big leap at age 26 (average at 23, to slightly better at 24, to middle-of-the-pack starting PG at age 25, to All-Star at age 26).

This is my thought as well. It has to be he just couldn't get the concepts. That doesn't mean he wont flourish in another system.

Obviously, Ferry didn't think so on draft day.  I think he changed his mind but that is my speculation.

Ferry been trying to get rid of Jeff for a hot minute. For many of the reasons I didn't want Jeff anymore. Obivously Jeff improved and if you noticed so did George Hill.