• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabo & Pero Arrested; Thabo OUT FOR SEASON due to injuries

ersimo2889

http://espn.go.com/espnw/w-in-action/2015-summit/article/13891382/nba-union-back-thabo-sefolosha-chooses-sue-nypd

Michele Roberts says the players union will back Thabo if he chooses to sue the NYPD.

"He had a criminal case and we had to respect that," Roberts said during a question-and-answer session at the espnW: Women + Sports Summit in Dana Point, California. "He now has a civil litigation if he wants to pursue it. I take my lead from him ... but all he has to do is turn me on and I'm gone. I can't even tell you how horrific the experience he had was. It was just dreadful."

Roberts said the union remained relatively quiet while Sefolosha dealt with criminal charges, but believes he "wants to do more" now that he's been exonerated.

"I was outraged when [the incident] happened. We were all outraged when that happened," Roberts said. "We needed to obviously defer to Thabo. We've always taken a backseat and respected what he wants to do and we'll do that going forward. The good news is he does want to do more. And we will do as much as he will allow us to do for him."

• Like 1

• Moderators

We did talk about it earlier.  My view then was the same as now:  I don't think the Hawks have standing to sue over this and I think damages (other than pain and suffering) would be novel and very tough to prove.

http://www.thenation.com/article/seven-things-we-learned-from-thabo-sefoloshas-trial/

Didn't see this article from the 12th posted anywhere, so here we go. This is an interesting excerpt:

6) The sports media dropped the ball. I wrote about it before, but the absence of coverage on this case speaks to the power of the New York Police Department, particularly its public relations wing. Talking heads, as I was told, were instructed not to cross them.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

( talking like Chris Tucker )

50 million dollars?  Who he think he is, Chelsea Clinton?

You owe me a new laptop.  Not sure this one will survive me LOLing and spitting lukewarm coffee all over it.

@RandomFan I wondered early-on why there was such a dearth of coverage on this case.  

Three things:

1. Thabo is a 'foreign' born player

2.  He plays for the Hawks 

3. He's not a star

If this was Kevin Durant or Paul George, different story.

If Thabo was still in OKC playing with KD or on a team with LBJ and he was as instrumental to their success and he was to ours, they would be talking about how Thabo would have made a huge difference. 

I won't be so gullible to think there was this gag order because it's the NYPD but it also has a lot to do with who Thabo is or isn't.  It's on them and they know it so lets blame it on the mighty NYPD - fact is they had no interest in covering the Hawks or Thabo.

Thabo finally gives us his side of the story.

http://www.gq.com/story/thabo-sefolosha-nypd-assault

"Everybody on my team had been counting on me. I don't get a lot of publicity for it because I never toot my own horn, but yeah, I think I'm possibly the best, or one of the best, defenders in this league. Not in a selfish way, but I like to think that maybe with me, we would have had a chance to win a title. I think I would have done a great job on LeBron [whose Cavs defeated the Hawks in the Conference Finals]. Watching my team from the bench was the worst experience a basketball player can have."

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Sorry to necro this thread, but thought I'd take a stab (sorry, again!) at finally closing the circle on the event that precipitated Thabo's now infamous run-in with the coppers. 14 months later.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man-stabbed-chris-copeland-1oak-cops-assault-article-1.2682290?cid=bitly

Consider his wrist slapped.

The club-goer who stabbed ex-Knick Chris Copeland outside the 1OAK nightclub last year copped to assault charges Tuesday and will be sentenced to just a month of weekends in jail.

But Shevoy Bleary-Murdock has some time served credited to his name from before his bail was paid last year and he will likely only do two or three weekends of time.

Bleary-Murdock pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree assault in a deal struck in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Bleary-Murdock was busted after a bloody spat outside the celebrity hotspot in the Meatpacking District about 4 a.m. on April 8, 2015, when Copeland, who was then in town as an Indiana Pacer for a game, was sliced in the gut.

Copeland "sustained a punctured diaphragm requiring surgery" and his gal pal Katrine Saltara "suffered a laceration to her right arm requiring stitches, a laceration under her right breast, and a puncture wound to her right buttock," according to Bleary-Murdock's criminal complaint.

It was not immediately clear why Bleary-Murdock was offered such a generous deal after the case dragged on for months without movement.

So, basically, about one weekend in jail per stab. All's well that ends... well...

~lw3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Sorry to necro this thread, but thought I'd take a stab (sorry, again!) at finally closing the circle on the event that precipitated Thabo's now infamous run-in with the coppers. 14 months later.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man-stabbed-chris-copeland-1oak-cops-assault-article-1.2682290?cid=bitly

So, basically, about one weekend in jail per stab. All's well that ends... well...

~lw3

Holy #$#* snacks, that is a crazy light sentence.  

NYPD CALLS BS ON ABUSE... 'Force Was Justified'

The NYPD officers who subdued and arrested NBA star Thabo Sefolosha last year were completely justified in their action, so says the NYPD ... despite Thabo's claim he suffered serious injuries during the incident.

You know the backstory ... the ATL Hawks star got into it with NYPD officers back in April 2015 outside of 1 OAK nightclub ... minutes after a fellow NBA player was stabbed nearby. 

Sefolosha was initially arrested for obstructing justice and disorderly conduct -- but he took the case to trial and was eventually exonerated. 

Thabo claimed the officers used excessive force -- striking him with a baton, forcing him to the ground and handcuffing him. Thabo claims he suffered a broken leg and ligament damage.

Thabo had sued the 5 officers and the City of NY seeking up to $50 million in damages.

Now, the City of NY has responded -- and officials are backing the cops.

In court docs obtained by TMZ Sports, the City states, "Any force was reasonable and justified."

As for the alleged injuries -- the City blames Thabo ... saying, "Any injury alleged to have been sustained resulted from [Sefolosha's] own culpable or negligent conduct or the culpable or negligent conduct of others." 

The City wants the judge to throw out the case. We're guessing that ain't gonna happen. 

Stay tuned ... 

http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/27/thabo-sefolosha-nypd-lawsuit/

• Moderators

^ Was really hoping that was from The Onion!

I do like the "negligent conduct of others" thrown in for good measure. The audience of friends screaming, "Thaboooo!" and urging the cops to stop dragging and beating him, the dude Thabo got out of the car to get money, Pero on the ground in skinny jeans... y'all are soooooo "negligent"!

~lw3