• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why didn't we foul them at the end?

bumpyphish1

Best case:  What happened and PP wasn't the hero.

Worst case:  That last shot was good and Hawks fouled PP so that he hit that "And one!"

which makes him what? as he hits the game wining free throw.

Any other Hawksquawkers still alive this morning or did everyone simply expire

in their sleep after the excitement of game six?  Wasn't that great!  Paul Pierce and

"Old what's his name, PG, with the sore hand" get to go home for the summer.

This team can't do this.  Ask those "expert" talking heads on TV.  Maybe not.  Yet,

strangely to relate, so far, so good.  Bring on "The King!"

• Like 2

• Moderators

I gotta see the replay again, but I do wonder if Wall lost a few shaves of a second while anticipating the Hawks were going to use their foul-to-give.

EDIT: I mis-remembered... the Hawks were well into the bonus. But a foul would have sent Wall to the line, forcing him to miss the second FT in hopes of an offensive rebound. The Hawks weren't exactly winning the loose ball battles at that point in the game, but I doubt that was a factor in not going the foul route.

There was the risk of the shady refs calling it a shooting foul if Wall got a shot up toward the goal.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

Personally, I'd rather live with a desperation 3 than giving them a trip to the line.  Here's why...  For one, if any Wizards player had so much as even head faked like he was shooting...the refs would have called him in the act and given them 3 free throws.  Secondly, let's say they put them on the line for two.  Washington makes the first, intentionally misses the 2nd...now there's the possibility of a tip in or put back.

• Premium Member

I gotta see the replay again, but I do wonder if Wall lost a few shaves of a second while anticipating the Hawks were going to use their foul-to-give.

~lw3

Did we have a foul to give?  I thought they were in the bonus from like just inside the 7 minute mark.  Could have been the 3rd I was thinking about, but I remember looking at the clock remaining and cursing the refs for putting them in the bonus.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Did we have a foul to give?  I thought they were in the bonus from like just inside the 7 minute mark.  Could have been the 3rd I was thinking about, but I remember looking at the clock remaining and cursing the refs for putting them in the bonus.

You beat me to it! We didn't have one. I corrected myself above.

~lw3

Personally, I'd rather live with a desperation 3 than giving them a trip to the line.  Here's why...  For one, if any Wizards player had so much as even head faked like he was shooting...the refs would have called him in the act and given them 3 free throws.  Secondly, let's say they put them on the line for two.  Washington makes the first, intentionally misses the 2nd...now there's the possibility of a tip in or put back.

agreed!

~lw3

• Like 1

The refs would've called for three free throws if anyone would've breathed on a Whiz player; we all know that. And even if they put them on the line for two, you know the refs would've let the Whiz do everything to get the rebound and put back...

Yep I could see Wiz on line for 2 make the 1st, miss the 2nd they get the rebound, score 2 plus a foul and 1 - Wiz win.

Desperation 3 to tie is the way to go.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Yeah, they were calling some ticky-tack stuff late in that game and you could see the frustration on Teage's face when they zoomed in on him.

TBF, Jeff's face always looks like he doesn't get enough fiber and hasn't pooped in 6 days.

As far as the topic is concerned, our defense was absolutely excellent at the end.  Paul Pierce had to practically Euro-step past Kyle Korver on the perimeter into an off-balance fall away 3 at the buzzer(He might've been out of bounds).  As the defending team, you can't ask for a worse shot without it actually being blocked.  Hitting that is a 1/100 chance, but Pierce's prayer was ALMOST answered.

If I was the Hawks, I would hope every buzzer beater comes down to a shot like that.  We are much better at defense than we are at defensive rebounding, so I'd rather we play to our strengths.

Edited by SalvorMallow
  • Like 2

How come nobody is talking about the fact Paul Pierce traveled? It was great D and he had to travel to get the shot off.

• Like 1

Did you see it Dejay? He took at least two steps, gathered himself, and another two to fall away and shoot the shot.

• Premium Member

How come nobody is talking about the fact Paul Pierce traveled? It was great D and he had to travel to get the shot off.

No ref will ever call that at the end of the game, especially on such a pretty move.  

I hate Paul Pierce, but I can't help but respect his game.  He hit huge shot after huge shot.  Sure he probably lost them games 5 and 6, but that's not what we will remember in a couple years when we reflect on this series. 

Let's give the man his due.

Edited by SalvorMallow

DMC said after the game he thought about fouling but didn't want to make bud angry so he just defended

Shouldn't have made Bud Maas but proud. It was absolutely the right tactic and I can't believe more people here aren't a bit disappointed we didn't do the progressive thing. I'd like to hear buds answer to why not.

Shouldn't have made Bud Maas but proud. It was absolutely the right tactic and I can't believe more people here aren't a bit disappointed we didn't do the progressive thing. I'd like to hear buds answer to why not.

I don't think the team in the lead wants to extend the game, seems counterproductive.  Plus, we just turned it over trying to inbound and Al missed a free throw to seal the deal- think the best route was to just let it play out.