Dennis vs. Shelvin: How long can Coach Bud tolerate Dennis' bad outside shooting vs. Cavs?

hawks774

Mack is due for some more playing time considering that we have to deal with the injury to DMC. But I agree. Dennis is lethal when he's attacking the rim and not settling for jump shots. Coach Bud needs to preach this to him now because his jumper isn't fully developed yet.

Dennis just needs to play smarter. We're not going to be very successful counting on Mack's shooting to save us. We need Teague and Dennis to use their massive speed advantages to create easy offense. Of course, with DMC out, Mack and/or Scott are gonna have to play. Fingers crossed that they do have their shooting touch. 

Mack is not replacing Carrol...Mack would only play in place of Dennis..And Bud has to give up playing Teague off the ball...He just lessons Teague's impact on the game

Bazemore will replace DMC, obviously. But Mack and probably Jenkins may get their numbers called on for Game 2.

The only person who can stop Dennis when driving to the rim is a really good defensive PG - or - a shot blocker - or - Dennis himself - when he misses the short-in shots. He is seductively quick - but not all that effective. He looks for his shot first and often passes poorly. Add in a few air-balls/rim-bonkers and you have a mess as your backup PG.

• Like 1

I think we need Dennis and his ability to get to the basket against virtually anyone, but we need him to stop shooting and find open shooters on kick outs. Also does anyone know why Mike Scott hasn't seen the floor? He should be giving Korver some rest at least for 10 minutes a game.

• Moderators

I think we need Dennis and his ability to get to the basket against virtually anyone, but we need him to stop shooting and find open shooters on kick outs. Also does anyone know why Mike Scott hasn't seen the floor? He should be giving Korver some rest at least for 10 minutes a game.

I'm hearing that Scott is still having back problems.   I think if he was good to go Bud would be using him.   He's never sat him this long before.   

• Premium Member

Dennis attacking the rim is what he needs to do. Dennis lobbing up threes and long twos is not good for anyone but the other team. He should always be in attack mode going to the rim or looking to create shots for others with dribble penetration.

• Like 2

That's a shame to hear that Mike is still possibly dealing with the back injury. I would personally like to see both Mikes play about 15 minutes and drop dennis to 10 minutes and give shelvin 10 minutes. We got here playing a good rotation of guys, and I know most people don't do that in the playoffs, but we've played pretty poorly throughout the playoffs so what do we have to lose?

• Premium Member

Dennis attacking the rim is what he needs to do. Dennis lobbing up threes and long twos is not good for anyone but the other team. He should always be in attack mode going to the rim or looking to create shots for others with dribble penetration.

Dennis has got the Osh Smith syndrome. Should be treated ASAP or it could reach an irreversible stage.

• Like 1

He took 3 3point shots, of which one was a hot potato given by Korver with 2 seconds on the clock. Where Korver might better try a pump-fake or something. I dont understand why Korver can only shoot 3's on sets and only when getting the space. It couldnt be worse than giving Dennis the most distant 3 point shot with guys in his face. Whats up with that is a better question.

I dont think those other two where "to much". They where not bad shots. He had good looks, which where more about spreading the floor tripple-threath wise. If he hits one of the two he has an allot easier game driving.

What worries me much more about Dennis's game is that he cant hit a floater lately, cant hit a close jumper lately, even struggles to finish on greatly worked out lay-ups lately, and still is sub-par on many fast-break situations.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Dennis has struggled on all his jumpers lately.  That is more problematic because he hasn't learned to really run the offense yet so when his jumper is a liability he is a negative on offense.  Korver still creates space even when his jumper is off.

I haven't given up on Dennis this series but Bud needs to recognize when he is off and not give him the reigns on offense when that happens.

Im not questioning Korver's general spacing impact on the game, but rather why he cant create any sort of shot on his own. Even going as far as passing the ball to Dennis with 2 seconds on the clock for a guaranteed 24 feet 3 point shot with two guys in his face.

You know, to me Korver not getting any kind of Korver rythim is a much bigger general concern this playoffs.

And that being said, the typical lackluster defense by Teague on the fast break after Dennis missed one of the two other 3's is also a much bigger general concern to me.

These are stereotypes of a much many more situations folding out in a game. And Dennis's part in that is his imprecise finishing in the playoffs overal.

These opportunistic ramblings after each game like where Teague goes from hero to zero and back again, where Dennis may never try another 3point shot etc, doesnt really explain anything.

Edited by DS17Fanboy
  • Like 1