• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott

NBASupes

dennis's on and off stats will make your eyes bleed

• Premium Member

dennis's on and off stats will make your eyes bleed

The lack of another epic third quarter collapse was largely due to Schro getting no playing time for once. As long as Scrho continues to ride the pine, we should have a chance during all our other games against Cleveland (please let there be more than one!)

I certainly don't think Scott was perfect but I don't blame Bud for sticking with that lineup. Our other lineups were getting crushed in the second half and that group held their own. Moose got abused and the team struggled when he was out there. They were better with Scott so I won't second guess Bud for sticking with what he thought was the best lineup that night down the stretch. Watching the ball go out hurt some, though.

The whole front court got abused...not just Moose. Thompson > Millsap, Horford and Muscala.

• Like 1

How deep does a bench have to be? We have Schröder, Mack, Thabo, Bazemore, Scott, Pero, and Muscala who can give us good minutes... that's the deepest bench in the league.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Come on now. If we were the deepest bench in the league, we wouldn't be down 3 - 0. Bud protected those guys all year by playing 3 starters most of the time with 2 bench players.

Come on now. If we were the deepest bench in the league, we wouldn't be down 3 - 0. Bud protected those guys all year by playing 3 starters most of the time with 2 bench players.

We're down because we've been hit with injuries to every starter, the refs are working against us, and we flat out have played terribly. But I'd say only the Warriors have a better bench than us.

We're down because we've been hit with injuries to every starter, the refs are working against us, and we flat out have played terribly. But I'd say only the Warriors have a better bench than us.

in terms of bench production in the playoffs our bench is ranked 13th out of 16th

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/15/7/eff/8-1

Edited by yungsta

Also consider this. In the playoffs, starters play extended minutes. Bud in the Brooklyn series was still trying to play regular season type rotations, and it cost us a few games.

It was obvious even in that series that Bud needed to give the starters more minutes, because the bench couldn't be trusted with heavy minutes in the playoffs.

In the regular season, Cleveland isn't playing 4 players 40+ minutes. Millsap went 45 minutes last night. Extending the minutes of your best players is what you have to do to win playoff games.

in terms of bench production in the playoffs our bench is ranked 13th out of 16th

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/15/7/eff/8-1

Well I can't deny stats, though I don't think the bench has been that bad. But I think we'd do well to replace Brand with Tavares and get an upgrade on Pero. Edited by nathan2331

And I'm a Mike Scott fan, and I've come around on Dennis. But the bench hasn't been good in the postseason ... at all.

Bench production has to be addressed this offseason. We need someone like Afflalo that can create for himself and other teammates as well if need be.

Because he hasn't been scoring, or assisting or running the offense well, and has either been last or second to last in +- every single game because the defense of the opposing team can clog the lane when he is out there because he has shot 24% from three point range during the playoffs and 14% during this series. He kills our spacing, and his drives that end in blocks i.e. the vast majority of them, lead to transition opportunities for the Cavs. Mack can at least knock down an open shot every now and again, and doesn't carelesly drive and get his shot blocked. That makes him a clear improvement at this point. Schröder right now is like a WORSE shooting version of Rondo, and without defense. (his defense has been pretty bad for most of the year, and it has been terrible in the playoffs)

Yet your savior "Mack" and devine alternative to Dennis had a +/- of -20 last game.....

This speaks magnitudes to what your and likeminded understanding of the situation is and I would dare say what your understanding is of what the Hawks have been doing, what their team build-up is, etc. At least your aware of the importance of a three-point shot now and then. At least your not on the "dont let Dennis ever try an open 3" team. That counts for something. And if a team can go clog the lane, its a teams and coaches duty to feast on that. Hawks where this "jump shooting" team right?

Dennis certainly had some(although exaggerated by many) problems in some games of the previous series, and largely played beneath his possibilities trouhout the series as a whole(although playing very much within himself taking care of the ball with a more than solid TO to assist ratio), but the Cleveland series was in no single way "due to Dennis". He hardly played, and when he did he was the best man on the Hawks roster that night before being pulled for Mack for no appearend reason. Among other things, utter weirdness regarding coaching like that has cost us this series.

Dont kid yourself.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

Also how often did these blocked shots resulted in fast break points? How many missed lay-ups resulted in put-backs? I dare say the latter way more often. The thing is that this is a team-sport. And I have not seen any Hawk outside of Carrol(till his injury) and Horford play consistently well within his possibilities. Dennis has not been an exemption to that. The horrible 3rd quarters have not been on Dennis, but rather started with the starters. Its time to actually start watch a game. and see hero/zero Teague just being chaotic out there. Dennis sucked most in the second quarters and never was able to be in many runs. But when watching the game, you see guys all over chucking with Dennis. That maybe also because of Dennis, but most times I had a hard time spotting it.

But go ahead. Blame "the cleveland series on Dennis"....really?

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I see the so called eggsperts from ESPN etc are also hopping the "blame schröder for Atlanta chucking post-season" bandwagon, so maybe thats where you got it from.

So lets dicect this theory largely based on an article to find out how Korver shooting went south, and found out he shot 8% better without Schröder on the court. A guy who also without Schröder shot drastically worse in the post-season, and when I watched games he got many great looks from Schröder. If a guy misses them, its the kids fault?

This all just shows how the dumbing down media and the pop-culture it creates works. Trying to build up and destroy people narratives for people to grasp. Where this "great white pure jumpshooter" starts to chuck, a guy that gets the white kids from sub-urbs their ATL jerseys on. And then we got a foreign young guy, playing with multiple rotations and a partly horrible efficiency rating. Where other more plain stats dont reveal him as this horrible creature killing all of Atlanta's hopes by playing ISO ball all by himslef alltroughout the season and somehow only heroically stopped by coach bud in the last game of the season that matters.

Give me a break. Dennis had an efficiency rating of +6.3 vs Washington. How did that come about? Hey, maybe its because of what the Hawks team is doing!?

Maybe game 1 vs Cle can be blamed on dennis if someone wants to make that stretch and blame one guy for the sake of the persona-culture in a game where JR Smith went off with 8 tough 3's during much of the bench-time. However game 2 where Dennis had a +- of -12 he had otherwise brilliant stats. Now I rewatched the period where he was on for arguments sake. And all it was where that - was build in the 2nd quarter was Scott and Baze missing wide open shots and Lebron going to the freethrow-line 3 times and Tristan Thomposn grabbing offensive rebounds that he either made himself or passed out to Schumpert making somewhat tough 3's. The other story is his otherwise brilliant stats, where he started a run late in the third, which the starters horribly lost again. He then got pulled after getting blocked. While before he had 3 straight FG's. Coaching??? The game was lost because Bud didnt give Dennis a shot to pull another Wizz game 3. Why?

Game 3 plz. 3 minutes, +-0.

So plz say again how this series is on Dennis?

• Premium Member

Yet your savior "Mack" and devine alternative to Dennis had a +/- of -20 last game.....

This speaks magnitudes to what your and likeminded understanding of the situation is and I would dare say what your understanding is of what the Hawks have been doing, what their team build-up is, etc. At least your aware of the importance of a three-point shot now and then. At least your not on the "dont let Dennis ever try an open 3" team. That counts for something. And if a team can go clog the lane, its a teams and coaches duty to feast on that. Hawks where this "jump shooting" team right?

Dennis certainly had some(although exaggerated by many) problems in some games of the previous series, and largely played beneath his possibilities trouhout the series as a whole(although playing very much within himself taking care of the ball with a more than solid TO to assist ratio), but the Cleveland series was in no single way "due to Dennis". He hardly played, and when he did he was the best man on the Hawks roster that night before being pulled for Mack for no appearend reason. Among other things, utter weirdness regarding coaching like that has cost us this series.

Dont kid yourself.

+- does not tell the whole story. Look at the team defensive and offensive efficiency during their time on the court, look at their PER, look at their win shares, look at their shooting, their turnover rates etc. Literally pick any statistic and Schro has been a negative on this team during the playoffs, and specifically during the Cavs series. You say Schröder hasn't played but he played this series which isn't true at all. He played significant minutes in the second and third quarters of both games we got crushed in. The one who hasn't gotten minutes is Mack, who played significant time for the first time in the entire playoffs last game against the Cavs. (His minutes in game 2 of the series came when the game was already out of hand in the fourth quarter and we were playing mostly our bench.)

Anyone with two eyeballs (and without DSFanboy in their screename) can see that our team offense and defense completely falls apart with Schro in the game. There has been a couple of exceptions but for the most part in the playoffs that has been the case. Any statistic you want to reference will back this up.

• Premium Member

Dennis has been a lot of things but certainly not the reason why we are down 3-0.

Not just Dennis, but the entire bench I would say is a huge part of why we have struggled in the playoffs. Dennis obviously is a huge part of that, considering he is our sixth man.

Not just Dennis, but the entire bench I would say is a huge part of why we have struggled in the playoffs. Dennis obviously is a huge part of that, considering he is our sixth man.

The bench production is severely lacking.

+- does not tell the whole story. Look at the team defensive and offensive efficiency during their time on the court, look at their PER, look at their win shares, look at their shooting, their turnover rates etc. Literally pick any statistic and Schro has been a negative on this team during the playoffs, and specifically during the Cavs series. You say Schröder hasn't played but he played this series which isn't true at all. He played significant minutes in the second and third quarters of both games we got crushed in. The one who hasn't gotten minutes is Mack, who played significant time for the first time in the entire playoffs last game against the Cavs. (His minutes in game 2 of the series came when the game was already out of hand in the fourth quarter and we were playing mostly our bench.)

Anyone with two eyeballs (and without DSFanboy in their screename) can see that our team offense and defense completely falls apart with Schro in the game. There has been a couple of exceptions but for the most part in the playoffs that has been the case. Any statistic you want to reference will back this up.

I rather watch the games. I see the Hawks bench being overrun more than the starters. Which is rather normal, as they play in their rotation and are not as easily fended off as a bunch of less talented guys playing in different rotations. And when I watch the game I see sometimes Dennis making mistakes, but nowhere to the extend that this defensive efficiency stat paints a picture.

No, the real deal is that the hawks are undersized, banged up and dependent on team-basketball and sufficient shots falling. None of that happened, and I'd rather blame Teague for being an inconsistent and unreliable leader than someone playing with scrubs after the starters and coach have failed.

Oh and how is your guy Mack doing? Dont make me laugh. Go read more stats and media talkingheads. U Americans have become way to numbers obsessed. Basketball is very much a metaphysical sport, where everything happens for a multitude of reasons, and if your search for reason regarding the elimination of the Hawks this series and it then lies with this one guy Dennis, then I'd rather revisit the methodlogy you use to reason.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I rather watch the games. I see the Hawks bench being overrun more than the starters. Which is rather normal, as they play in their rotation and are not as easily fended off as a bunch of less talented guys playing in different rotations. And when I watch the game I see sometimes Dennis making mistakes, but nowhere to the extend that this defensive efficiency stat paints a picture.

No, the real deal is that the hawks are undersized, banged up and dependent on team-basketball and sufficient shots falling. None of that happened, and I'd rather blame Teague for being an inconsistent and unreliable leader than someone playing with scrubs after the starters and coach have failed.

Oh and how is your guy Mack doing? Dont make me laugh. Go read more stats and media talkingheads. U Americans have become way to numbers obsessed. Basketball is very much a metaphysical sport, where everything happens for a multitude of reasons, and if your search for reason regarding the elimination of the Hawks this series and it then lies with this one guy Dennis, then I'd rather revisit the methodlogy you use to reason.

Outside of 2 or maybe 3 games, Dennis was pretty awful during the playoff run. The fact that you keep trying to blame Jeff Teague instead of just admitting that Dennis played poorly says it all to me. I dont recall anyone saying the Hawks lost this series because of Dennis. What I see are people saying just how bad he was. He was so bad that Bud went with Mack,who lost the back up job months ago. No stats were needed to tell anyone who was watching that Dennis was playing bad basketball. The stats just pretty much backed up the eye test.

Edited by Sarcatic1