• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And now the work begins...

Dejay

So the season ended tonight, to the disappointment of us all. While they didn't quite get to the mountaintop, they achieved heights never seen in this town before and contrary to opinion, that counts for something.

While some may want to wait awhile to reflect on what happened and what could've been, I think it's not too early to think of what needs to go down this offseason. Our team is closer than its ever been to a title and although they did get swept, a full upheaval isn't necessary.

What say you out there?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Step 1 is get the sale done and quickly decide on a GM.

I'd like to see Ferry back but if we moving to Grant Hill then just make the move and start working.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

The first step is to shut down Hawksquawk for the next month...

brace-yourselves-the-idiots-are-coming.j

Actually, they're already here and posting all over Homecourt...  kickcan.gif sigh

On a serious note and to answer the OP:

• Target a wing in the draft
  • Target a center in free agency - Jefferson, Monroe, and Lopez fit
  • Call Matthews and Afflalo and talk about the 2 guard position. KK needs to be the 6th man.
  • Resign DMC

I believe ECF is in our future again.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 4

Actually, they're already here and posting all over Homecourt...  kickcan.gif sigh

On a serious note and to answer the OP:

• Target a wing in the draft
  • Target a center in free agency - Jefferson, Monroe, and Lopez fit
  • Call Matthews and Afflalo and talk about the 2 guard position. KK needs to be the 6th man.
  • Resign DMC

I believe ECF is in our future again.

Agree with most of this, though I think we could trade for a big that fits like Noah or someone. I still think we should resign Millsap, he'd be a hella good 6th man and I think he'd be fine with that.

I'd just say first get healthy. Healthy Thabo, Korver, Millsap is going to be huge for the Hawks.

They need to draft a 3 and D SF. Thabo can't stay healthy and isn't getting any younger.

Bring over Patterson and Tavares. Let Jenkins go. Find out ways to get Korver more involved in the offense since the playoffs exposed his predictability.

Sign Alexis Ajinca. Give Muscula the backup PF. Trade Scott to Philly.

Match any deal for Carroll and Millsap.

Several players will not be back and some others are questionable.  Millsap and

Korver both face surgery in the off season Steph has already had surgery on his

broken leg.

Our young JJ played, in garbage time, 12 minutes last night.  Great stats. 2 rebounds

and 4\5 shooting with 2\3 from downtown.  With his lack of playing time and his salary,

we expect him to be gone.

Shelvin Mack is the #3 PG and he could very well be on his way out.  Three Hawks didn't

see any playing time last game of the year and neither are expected back.  They are Antić,

Brand and Austin Daye.

We expect Walter to come over and make the team but not start.  Part of our improved bench.

We have a draft pick.  With our record in the draft, we're shaky about this.

Will Millsap return or will he get that great big $$$ offer to go elsewhere?  We've all cried for

years about our PG position.  Well, we have three right now.  How many of these three will

we have next season?

Scott has been hot and cold.  Will we retain him?

So many questions and this is only skimming the surface, asking the more obvious ones.

Should be an exciting off season and I know we all look forward to seeing our "new" Hawk

team that will take the floor this fall!

Final question:  Who wins it all this spring?

music.gif

Edited by Gray Mule

• Premium Member

Yeah, I have to agree.  Millsap our two time allstar should not be disrespected.

Resign him and DMC and Mack.

Let Thabo and Korver and DMC and Millsap and Horf heal.

I would look into

Robin Lopez, Omar Asik, Tyson Chandler, Kosta Koufas or a trade for John Henson.

I would look to draft a SG who has the ability to shoot.   That means.... RJ Hunter.

So, here's what my team would look like next year:

Teague, Dennis, Mack

Korver, Baze, Hunter

DMC, Thabo

Sap, Moose

Horf, Koufas, Pero

If he is not playing, I would ask Brand to come up as an  ACoach. 2 picks in the second round, goes to the NBADL or Europe.

I'm not bringing Walter over just yet.

• Like 1

I agree that the obvious (new ownership ratified, GM position determined) has to be done yesterday before a course can be set for the summer. The sooner, the better.

With that said, this is the biggest offseason in Atlanta Hawks' history. Bigger than 1988, bigger than the post-Nique debacle, bigger than anything going on in the LD or Woody years. This one is different because for the first time ever, they fit all of the qualifications of an elite NBA team (55+ wins, Conference Finals appearance). When you ask just about any NBA analyst of what constitutes an elite team in terms of credentials on the court, most of them say winning at least 55 games and getting beyond the second round. Well boys and girls, the Hawks fit these shoes. Contrary to opinion, this is no longer the mediocre, treadmill team we've come to know and expect; they've taken the hyper-jump and are now in unchartered space. What's done is done as far as the Cavs are concerned; they were better (way better) than the Hawks in that series and deserved to make the Finals. Hurtful, yes but them's are the facts and we all have to deal with them. But that does not and should not in any way, shape, or form mean a return to 43-39 seasons. This is not some Cinderella story, no matter what the national guys may push in 3...2...1...

For the first time since that '88 season, the stands will be packed come opening night, not after Christmas. Opposing players will not go running to (insert strip joint here) after the plane touches down at Hartsfield or found laughing at our team when their coaches give the scouting report come shootaround time. Expectations will be beyond anything we've seen on this board, Peachtree Hoops, RealGM, even the old AJC forum days. Their mission will be simple enough; return to the ECFs and detonate Lebron's reign of terror in the Eastern Conference. Sure the Whiz and the Bulls (what's left of them) will be looking to do the same thing. But neither of them will be put under the same microscope to challenge the Cavs as our team will be.

After the front office is resolved, they have to hit on their first round draft pick. When the two Mikes (Scott and Muscala) have outplayed every recent first round pick whose name isn't Dennis Schoeder, that's a problem. In other words, its time for John Jenkins to find another living room to crash and watch basketball games from (inside joke for the chatroom). Whether it's Devin Booker, Frank Kaminsky, Stanley Johnson (doubt it), R.J. Hunter, or Sam Dekker, they have to be able to perform and not become just another guy we're having to locate in the D-league.

As far as free agency is concerned, again, we're in unchartered territory here. While it's common sense to bring the band back (i.e. DMC and Millsap), upgrades at the wing and in the post are needed. But to get this done, the front office have to carry themselves like a top contender now instead of someone hoping to hang on to the 6th seed. We not only have guys other teams badly want but for the first time in over 20 years, we have a team that REAL players will actually consider playing for. Who doesn't want to play in a system that took DMC from journeyman to a near-max level contract? And what sharpshooter wouldn't jump to become the next Kyle Korver Grantland slobbers over? It may not be enough for Jimmy Butler to make the jump but Wesley Matthews and Danny Green on the other hand... Besides, the road to the Finals is paved much easier in the East. Instead of having to fight off the Warriors, Blazers, Rockets, Spurs, Mavericks, and Clippers every other night just to get homecourt in the first round, there is only the Cavs (top dog), Whiz (beat them with Bradley Beal doing his best Kobe impersonation), and Bulls (sans Thibs and Lord knows who else) to fend off for homecourt throughout. I'm telling you this much; Walter Tavares isn't the only big man arriving in Atlanta this summer to help out Al Horford in the post. He'll have some company, whether it's either of the Lopez brothers, Greg Monroe, or even Marc Gasol himself (pipe dream, I know). But someone is going to bite on that sales pitch and bite hard...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

People talking about millsap coming off the bench are out of their minds. Millsap is going to get big offers and he is a 2 time allstar. this man is not signing up for a 6th man role, wherever he goes.

Millsap is a max player under the about to explode cap. He is 18 mil+ and is as good as gone. 

• Like 1

Oh my is this accurate.  Some of these offseason plans are just ....

I know, KG. I've already read 'trade Al for Durant' somewhere else this morning and heard 'Teague, Scott, Al, and the 15th pick for Kobe' on Tune-In. I would've pushed to have the guy banned on this site if he would've posted that last one on HS...