• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The offseason...how do you see/want things going down?

bumpyphish1

I like Tyson Chandler as a vet big for us, while Sap takes over 6th man and closes games. Resign DMC/Sap. Draft a wing. Kick ass again.

Why would Sap come off the bench for us when he could get his max money and be a starter somewhere else? I don't think he'd be tempted to come back if those were the conditions.

• Premium Member

I see and want us to resign both guys to fair contracts.  I suppose that we will see Sefolosha, Korver, Baze come back for the swing positions. I also see Moose and  Scott back to back up the 4.  I think our real need will be a defensive big to help BU Horf and Sap.

I don't think that we bring up Walter this offseason. But in terms of Big men, I would love to be able to get Tyson Chandler.   I think him in rotation with Horf would be an excellent matchup.  Plus, I think Dallas is going strong after LaMarcus Aldridge so Chandler could slip to us.   But that's the dream scenario.  More Likely is us getting somebody like Cole Aldrich or Henry Sims to play the BU C role for us.   I wouldn't be mad with Aldrich.  He's not a big name, but he has come on as an athletic defensive presence.

I also think we pick up a BU SG to cover for the loss of Korver.  Gary Neal is who I see us picking and I wouldn't be mad with the pick.  He's a 40+% shooter from three in the San Antonio system.  He's a system guy.

So that's about all.   I see us filling up roster spaces with guys we pick in the draft.

I can see us taking Kaminski or Booker, or Hazreli.

IN terms of moving players, the only player from the current roster that I can see us moving is maybe Sefolosha.   I'm not 100% in belief of us moving him but of all of or players, I think he's the guy most likely not coming back.  Moreover, I think about Neal is that he can give us spot help at the PG.

• Premium Member

What I see is the Hawks will keep their core meaning Sap and Carroll get resigned and a big plus sg will be added. One winning year and 60 games the Hawks brass will say why break up a good thing. Adding the big (Koufas) or someone else plus a shooting guard (Danny Green) will make Hawks management giddy thinking they have solved the problems. What they don't realize is this same core just got anhilated by the Cavs and maybe the bench warmer big helps and the shooting guard (Green?) but there is no excuse for players missing wide open shots and Horford's last game was pitiful. How do you get them to play up to standards.

Answering the question same team, new big benchwarmer and shooting guard (Green) and the rookie draft pick. The thing is if this team fails again the Hawks I guess could let Horford walk and try and get Durant even though Sap is here. Trade Sap and maybe the backup big can play center plus Tavaras long term project. Maybe keep Horf trade Sap however teams who want Durant aren't going to make a deal untl they know they are out of the Durant sweepstakes. Plus the Hawks won't get Durant because they will have Sap contract to unload and can't. This is Hawks land and we are used to getting screwed when it comes to big name athletes. Hope I am wrong but that is the way I see it playing out.

I think you have to give our core a chance when everybody is healthy.  Our team is dependent on every cog.. not one cog.  We have a different philosophy and I believe even the pundits know that if we're healthy, we beat the Cavs.

I see and want us to resign both guys to fair contracts.  I suppose that we will see Sefolosha, Korver, Baze come back for the swing positions. I also see Moose and  Scott back to back up the 4.  I think our real need will be a defensive big to help BU Horf and Sap.

I don't think that we bring up Walter this offseason. But in terms of Big men, I would love to be able to get Tyson Chandler.   I think him in rotation with Horf would be an excellent matchup.  Plus, I think Dallas is going strong after LaMarcus Aldridge so Chandler could slip to us.   But that's the dream scenario.  More Likely is us getting somebody like Cole Aldrich or Henry Sims to play the BU C role for us.   I wouldn't be mad with Aldrich.  He's not a big name, but he has come on as an athletic defensive presence.

I also think we pick up a BU SG to cover for the loss of Korver.  Gary Neal is who I see us picking and I wouldn't be mad with the pick.  He's a 40+% shooter from three in the San Antonio system.  He's a system guy.

So that's about all.   I see us filling up roster spaces with guys we pick in the draft.

I can see us taking Kaminski or Booker, or Hazreli.

IN terms of moving players, the only player from the current roster that I can see us moving is maybe Sefolosha.   I'm not 100% in belief of us moving him but of all of or players, I think he's the guy most likely not coming back.  Moreover, I think about Neal is that he can give us spot help at the PG.

Thabo isn't going anywhere. If anything, it's going to be Mike Scott, and I wouldn't be suprised if he demanded a trade this offseason.

Edited by ATLHawks3

Why would Sap come off the bench for us when he could get his max money and be a starter somewhere else? I don't think he'd be tempted to come back if those were the conditions.

I think Sap would be fine accepting a Ginobili-style supersub role, just conjecture but Millsap is a professional and he loves it here. The money could be an issue though, definitely. If he accepts $15.5M a year, I don't mind him backing up someone and closing games.

Retaining Carroll seems to be the taller order (not in terms of price, but in terms of working around capholds.

Thabo isn't going anywhere. If anything, it's going to be Mike Scott, and I wouldn't be suprised if he demanded a trade this offseason.

Lol. Mike Scott demanding a trade. Who'd want him? (I do agree he, along with Mack and possibly Schröder, is among the most likely to leave).

I think Sap would be fine accepting a Ginobili-style supersub role, just conjecture but Millsap is a professional and he loves it here. The money could be an issue though, definitely. If he accepts $15.5M a year, I don't mind him backing up someone and closing games.

Retaining Carroll seems to be the taller order (not in terms of price, but in terms of working around capholds.

Lol. Mike Scott demanding a trade. Who'd want him? (I do agree he, along with Mack and possibly Schröder, is among the most likely to leave).

"I can't lie and say it wasn't frustrating," Scott said of going in and out of the rotation. "I'm a competitor and I want to be out there competing. That's just how the business is, how the NBA is. Coach made his decision and I stood by it."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ~ Mike Scott

I`d like to see Teague traded - I believe Dennis is ready to be a badass.  Teague really lacks a consistent fire, as where Dennis always has it burning.  And with Dennis`s improvement over the last year, he probably steps it up another notch next season.  Carrol probably has to go - too expensive.  I say keep Millsap and Horford but add a solid defending/rebounding big (bye bye Antić and Brand, and keep either Scott or Muscala for a little bench work). 

Maybe we could trade up in the draft (with Teague) and get Justice Winslow.

Keep Bazemore and Mack.

• Like 1

I think DeMarre and Paul are likely walking.  Neither of those guys is worth overpaying.  The only guy we go to the mats for is Horford when his contract is up, and he will hopefully not ask for the max because he has already been paid, is a decent guy, and likely wants to win.  As long as we give him $16M or so, I think he'd be fine with that.  

We go into the next season with $40,225,000 allocated out of a cap of $67.1M.  Ie. We have $26+M to spend.  Remember the cap goes up to $89 next offseason, then there's another hike after that if I'm not mistaken.

Definitely coming back in 2015-16 (in order of pay):

Horford (2016 unrestricted) 

Teague

Korver

Sefolosha

M. Scott (2016 team option)

Shelvin (2016 team option)

Bazemore (2016 unrestricted)

Dennis

Muscala (2016 team option)

That's nine guys.  What's the max roster number?  14?  15?   leaves us with 4-6 spots to fill.  I don't think DeMarre is worth more than $7M and I don't think Millsap is worth more than $12M.  If they demand more than that, let 'em walk.  

Here's the approach:

We should look at Dekker/Kaminsky/best non-PG available at #15.

We should stash at least one of our #2 picks. 

Bring Tavares over.

Sign a veteran Center.  Marc Gasol is the best option.  Then you gotta look at Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez, Asik, Koufos. 

That leaves 1-3 more roster spots to fill between DeMarre, Paul, potentially one of our second rounders, and any other free agents.  Unrestricted guys out there we could be interested in would include:  Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Belinelli, Mike Dunleavy, Gary Neal, John Jenkins.

That seems like the list of names to work with if you ask me.  How things will shake out, I don't know.  I'm honestly not sure we don't need to try to make a play for a big time "superstar" next offseason.  Kevin Durant, I'm thinking of you.  We'll also be mindful that we are gonna have to give Horf a nice deal.  Fortunately, the growing cap helps with that.

What say you, squawkers?

I'd resign Carroll/Millsap to whatever contract they want. A healthy Carroll/Millsap is better than anything the Hawk could get realistically this summer. 

I'd trade Scott with a 2nd round pick to Philly. I wouldn't resign Antić. I'd make Muscula the backup PF. I'd bring Tavares over and have him be Horford's backup. 

I'd draft a SF that can play D and shoot the 3.

I think The Hawks have to bring DMC back. Lock down defenders are hard to find and the Hawks play their best basketball when they are good defensively. 

Milsap was great during the regular season and his shoulder may have been bothering him in the playoffs but he was less than a shell of his-self when it counted. I think we would be better served going after a tru center allowing Al to finally man the PF postion. Not to mention Atlanta was beat on the boards consistently.

As the draft goes i think Atlanta has to go bpa. For me Sam Dekker, Bobby Portis, Justin Anderson, and Montrezl Harrell are the best fits at 15

In: Gasol/Monroe, Tavares, 1st Round Pick,

Out: Millsap, Brand, Jenkins

I'll re-sign Carroll and let Millsap go to get some size at center and move Horford to PF. Gasol would be ideal. If not, Monroe is a decent 2nd option. I'm willing to sacrifice some points that Millsap would of given us for more height and rebounding.

I am re-signing Antić too for the veteran minimum but would reduce his role to what Brand gave us. His minutes to be taken by Tavares.

SF: Carroll, Sefolosha, Daye/Patterson

PF: Horford, Muscala, Scott

C: Gasol/Monroe, Tavares, Antić

PG: Teague, Schröder, Mack

SG: Korver, Bazemore, 1st Round Pick

We want to keep consistency to improve the system and not change half the starting lineup every year

Bring back DMC/Millsap

Sign best non-pg available at 15

Bring over Tavares

Let Antić, Jenkins, Mack, etc go if need their space

Move Brand to coaching staff

Try to get another bench piece before re-signing DMC/Sap

Teague/Dennis

Korver/Bazemore

DMC/Thabo

Millsap/Horford

Horford/Moose/Tavares

#15 is hopefully a good 3D candidate to work his way into lineup over next few years as Thabo/Korver get older

Or we get a good shooting big to backup Millsap and get a Gary Neal or someone over here

I'd most love to find a way to get Danny green , Wesley Matthews, or Kiwi (haha) over here and then still re-sign DMC/Millsap...that would be the dream offseason but is unlikely based on cap space and what Millsap/DMC are likely to get

Next summer we'll have max room to add to the above roster so can make the move for a Durant, etc to put us over the top

Edited by Nicholasp27
  • Like 2

I just don't see how the Hawks are going to solve their rebounding problems by resiging Sap and Carroll and adding Tavaras and a draft pick. Tavaras probably will be a project and rookies generally are to inconsistent. I hate to lose Sap but if it means adding a midtier center like Mozgov/Robin Lopez and adding Mathews at shooting guard why not. Get rid of Scott,Antić etc to free up space do it.

Horford

Mozgov or Lopez

DMC

Teague

Mathews

Korver coming off the bench

I like this team more than the so called stay pat team with the rookies added in.  

I just don't see how the Hawks are going to solve their rebounding problems by resiging Sap and Carroll and adding Tavaras and a draft pick. Tavaras probably will be a project and rookies generally are to inconsistent. I hate to lose Sap but if it means adding a midtier center like Mozgov/Robin Lopez and adding Mathews at shooting guard why not. Get rid of Scott,Antić etc to free up space do it.

Horford

Mozgov or Lopez

DMC

Teague

Mathews

I like this team more than the so called stay pat team with the rookies added in.  

I want matthews as bad as supes wants monroe nyam.gif  I think teague, matthews, dmc would be one of the better wing defensive combos in the east, not to mention a healthy thabo and korver coming off the bench.  However, I don't think it will be possible to resign the jyd, sap and bring in matthews (le sigh).  Someone did start an Ed Davis trade thread, and I think he would make a great athletic backup 5, maybe we could afford Davis and Danny Green or something like that- I don't know I just throw out names and leave the more difficult cap stuff to people smarter than me. 

Horford

Mozgov or Lopez

DMC

Teague

Mathews

I actually prefer this to the absurd love Monroe has been getting lately. Not to mention the Robin Lopez interviews would be gold!

That being said , if we do sign Monroe , I hope it works out

We want to keep consistency to improve the system and not change half the starting lineup every year

Bring back DMC/Millsap

Sign best non-pg available at 15

Bring over Tavares

Let Antić, Jenkins, Mack, etc go if need their space

Move Brand to coaching staff

Try to get another bench piece before re-signing DMC/Sap

Teague/Dennis

Korver/Bazemore

DMC/Thabo

Millsap/Horford

Horford/Moose/Tavares

#15 is hopefully a good 3D candidate to work his way into lineup over next few years as Thabo/Korver get older

Or we get a good shooting big to backup Millsap and get a Gary Neal or someone over here

I'd most love to find a way to get Danny green , Wesley Matthews, or Kiwi (haha) over here and then still re-sign DMC/Millsap...that would be the dream offseason but is unlikely based on cap space and what Millsap/DMC are likely to get

Next summer we'll have max room to add to the above roster so can make the move for a Durant, etc to put us over the top

This is the most realistic plan and it's what I hope we do.  No need to overreact to a bad ECFs when we weren't 100%.  Regroup and refocus, keep the core in tact, keep Ferry, produce another great season and put the league on notice that the Hawks are here to stay as contenders.  2 straight seasons of 60 wins and ECF appearances will force the bigger names to notice us and we will have plenty of cap to go fishing for a BIG fish in the next 2 seasons.

• Like 2