• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The offseason...how do you see/want things going down?

bumpyphish1

I think DeMarre and Paul are likely walking.  Neither of those guys is worth overpaying.  The only guy we go to the mats for is Horford when his contract is up, and he will hopefully not ask for the max because he has already been paid, is a decent guy, and likely wants to win.  As long as we give him $16M or so, I think he'd be fine with that.  

We go into the next season with $40,225,000 allocated out of a cap of $67.1M.  Ie. We have $26+M to spend.  Remember the cap goes up to $89 next offseason, then there's another hike after that if I'm not mistaken.

Definitely coming back in 2015-16 (in order of pay):

Horford (2016 unrestricted) 

Teague

Korver

Sefolosha

M. Scott (2016 team option)

Shelvin (2016 team option)

Bazemore (2016 unrestricted)

Dennis

Muscala (2016 team option)

That's nine guys.  What's the max roster number?  14?  15?   leaves us with 4-6 spots to fill.  I don't think DeMarre is worth more than $7M and I don't think Millsap is worth more than $12M.  If they demand more than that, let 'em walk.  

Here's the approach:

We should look at Dekker/Kaminsky/best non-PG available at #15.

We should stash at least one of our #2 picks. 

Bring Tavares over.

Sign a veteran Center.  Marc Gasol is the best option.  Then you gotta look at Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez, Asik, Koufos. 

That leaves 1-3 more roster spots to fill between DeMarre, Paul, potentially one of our second rounders, and any other free agents.  Unrestricted guys out there we could be interested in would include:  Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Belinelli, Mike Dunleavy, Gary Neal, John Jenkins.

That seems like the list of names to work with if you ask me.  How things will shake out, I don't know.  I'm honestly not sure we don't need to try to make a play for a big time "superstar" next offseason.  Kevin Durant, I'm thinking of you.  We'll also be mindful that we are gonna have to give Horf a nice deal.  Fortunately, the growing cap helps with that.

What say you, squawkers?

I asked the same thing a day ago. I think an arms race is about to begin with guys from the West seeing an easier go of it out in the East. Being the biggest threat to the Lebrons, a decent first round pick, AND with cap room, what better time will it be than now to strike gold?

Assuming DMC and Millsap get ridiculous offers elsewhere, they have to send a response in kind to the league that they're not going back to being the 'same ole Hawks' by bringing in some journeymen and a not-quite-ready Tavares. They need size, rebounding, and wing help; and badly.

Gasol would be the best option, followed by LMA as far as post players are concerned. On the wing, I'd look at Matthews, Green, and Afflalo to replace DMC and give much needed relief to Korver and Thabo, who may not be back until 2016. If those moves mean having to jettison Scott or Mack, well...

As for the pick, I'd like to see if those two second rounders along with the 15th pick can be parlayed into a higher pick or an established player...

Edited by Dejay

I asked the same thing a day ago. I think an arms race is about to begin with guys from the West seeing an easier go of it out in the East. Being the biggest threat to the Lebrons, a decent first round pick, AND with cap room, what better time will it be than now to strike gold?

Assuming DMC and Millsap get ridiculous offers elsewhere, they have to send a response in kind to the league that they're not going back to being the 'same ole Hawks' by bringing in some journeymen and a not-quite-ready Tavares. They need size, rebounding, and wing help; and badly.

Gasol would be the best option, followed by LMA as far as post players are concerned. On the wing, I'd look at Matthews, Green, and Afflalo to replace DMC and give much needed relief to Korver and Thabo, who may not be back until 2016. If those moves mean having to jettison Scott or Mack, well...

As for the pick, I'd like to see if those two second rounders along with the 15th pick can be parlayed into a higher pick or an established player...

Go head and preach @Dejay !.....I love that path. Hopefully the Hawks are smart enough to take a similar route.

This isn't the NFL. Non lottery picks are pretty much worthless to begin with. Attempting to use them in a trade to acquire anything more than a player with a pulse is highly unlikely.

What I see is the Hawks will keep their core meaning Sap and Carroll get resigned and a big plus sg will be added. One winning year and 60 games the Hawks brass will say why break up a good thing. Adding the big (Koufas) or someone else plus a shooting guard (Danny Green) will make Hawks management giddy thinking they have solved the problems. What they don't realize is this same core just got anhilated by the Cavs and maybe the bench warmer big helps and the shooting guard (Green?) but there is no excuse for players missing wide open shots and Horford's last game was pitiful. How do you get them to play up to standards.

Answering the question same team, new big benchwarmer and shooting guard (Green) and the rookie draft pick. The thing is if this team fails again the Hawks I guess could let Horford walk and try and get Durant even though Sap is here. Trade Sap and maybe the backup big can play center plus Tavaras long term project. Maybe keep Horf trade Sap however teams who want Durant aren't going to make a deal untl they know they are out of the Durant sweepstakes. Plus the Hawks won't get Durant because they will have Sap contract to unload and can't. This is Hawks land and we are used to getting screwed when it comes to big name athletes. Hope I am wrong but that is the way I see it playing out.

Edited by thescout5

We will have a new ownership group pretty soon.  I would think they will want to do something pretty quick to let people know they are serious of this team, so maybe a big splash in the FA market will happen.  Hopefully the Cleveland series will not undo all the good done by the rest of the season and Atlanta will be seen as a good destination now, esp. since we have new owners.  

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

Not really feeling Dekker or Kaminsky if we aren't trading Teague for more assets. 

Oubre and Hunter are my top guys. Dekker

If we are going to lose DMC and Millsap which is likely, I want Greg Monroe, Jared Dudley, Gary Neal, Edy Tavares and Mike Dunleavy. Get rid of Antić, Jenkins, Brand and Daye. 

If we trade Jeff for #6/Nik S. 

I want Kaminsky with the #15. I want Greg Monroe, Jared Dudley, Gary Neal and Edy Tavares. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Not really feeling Dekker or Kaminsky if we aren't trading Teague for more assets.

Oubre and Hunter are my top guys. Dekker

If we are going to lose DMC and Millsap which is likely, I want Greg Monroe, Jared Dudley, Gary Neal, Edy Tavares and Mike Dunleavy. Get rid of Antić, Jenkins, Brand and Daye.

If we trade Jeff for #6/Nik S.

I want Kaminsky with the #15. I want Greg Monroe, Jared Dudley, Gary Neal and Edy Tavares.

Maybe you and that overvalued Monroe should grab a room? I just cannot see why you would rather have a lazy player like Monroe over LMA or M.Gasol. It is mind boggling to me

Maybe you and that overvalued Monroe should grab a room? I just cannot see why you would rather have a lazy player like Monroe over LMA or M.Gasol. It is mind boggling to me

Monroe is not lazy and I don't see LMA or Gasol coming here. 

Monroe is not lazy and I don't see LMA or Gasol coming here.

Anyone who takes a whole half a season off cause of Jsmoove is damn lazy. Dude was on cruize control

• Moderators

My feeling is Millsap reunites with Jefferson in Charlotte and Demarre goes to the highest bidder.

But the Hawks end up signing guys that keeps us at a 50-60 win team. I believe we'll target LMA and Lopez and sign Matthews, Afflalo, or Green. Atlanta may not be first on any of these guys lists, but they'll listen to an ECF team with money. Then we'll bring over Tavares, resign Pero to vet min, and trade Mack and Scott to a team that needs bench help. Mack can be a good backup PG on most teams in the NBA.

My ultimate offseason would be to draft a wing for the bench, sign either LMA or Lopez, and then, depending on which center we sign, go after Matthews or Afflalo. Then sign Danny Green as a DMC replacement. Would come cheap. If this happens, we'll gain the size we need while not giving up much defensively. We'd also be the best 3pt shooting team in the league with LMA/Lopez, Horford, Korver, Afflalo/Matthews, Green, Bazemore, Teague, and Thabo all being capable of hitting a three.

If LMA is signed, target Matthews. If Lopez is signed, target Afflalo. After Sabonis refused to play for the Hawks, it'd be poetic justice for the Hawks to steal LMA away from Portland. lol

• Like 3

Im convinced al jefferson or tyson chandler will tell their agent they want to play for the Hawks. They will contact the Hawks and Coach bud will tell them that the Hawks are just fine with Pero Antić in the rotation..........lmao

Edited by atlhawks1

@PSSSHHHRRR87 when you say "Lopez" are you actually talking about Robin L. or do you mean Gasol (just asking)?

I actually do like Robin L for us.  I think Green/Afflalo are bench players though whereas we need a starter if DMC leaves.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, KG. But there's not a whole bunch of starting caliber free agents at the three, unless you're counting on Jeff Green or Rudy Gay to opt out (no chance). Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green are both restricted and not likely to even see an offer that their current teams won't match. And with Scott Skiles on the verge of taking over, the Tragic will move heaven and earth to keep Tobias Harris from leaving town. So that puts more of an onus to bring back DMC, especially considering that his backup may not be ready until 2016 if then.

While size, health, bad shooting, and rebounding ultimately doomed this team in the ECFs, more firepower is needed from the 2/3 slots. The discrepancy of offensive production when Korver wasn't on the floor says more than enough to illustrate that. That's why I'm all for going after Afflalo or Matthews if the price is right. The problem with that is the likelihood of them being offered starting roles elsewhere. 

With the possibility of Millsap also leaving, the need to bring in a guy to replace (if not upgrade) his production is needed. Unless Horford starts putting up LMA numbers or DMC comes back and produces in the regular season as he did in the playoffs, you can forget about adding Kosta Koufas or Tyson Chandler unless they're coming off the bench (doubt it).

I would love to bring in LMA or Gasol like the next guy, don't get me wrong. But the high risk/high reward guy I wouldn't mind seeing here is Al Jefferson if Millsap left and those two decided to stay home. For starters, everyone on this board knows how productive he is when healthy (I know, big if); I shudder to think of what numbers he can put up in this offense with folks chasing Korver all over the place. And it allows Horford to play the four, which is something a lot of us (including him) have been clamoring for since he arrived here.

• Moderators

@PSSSHHHRRR87 when you say "Lopez" are you actually talking about Robin L. or do you mean Gasol (just asking)?

I actually do like Robin L for us.  I think Green/Afflalo are bench players though whereas we need a starter if DMC leaves.

Brook Lopez... although he'd have to opt out. Robin Lopez would be good for rebounding, but he doesn't fit Bud's space and pace.