• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pero Antić

For your information only.

Antić’s versatility as a “stretch 5” is extremely unqiue, and he showed that versatility on defense as well. Opposing players shot just 23.8% from behind the three-point line with him contesting, which was 8.5% lower than normal. In other words, Antić was among the best centers in the league at contesting jump shots. MOCAP Analytics used SportVU player tracking data to rate Antić a 76 or higher in all major defensive categories, including post defense and ball screener defense. He’s also rated a 90 in screen-setting, as he used his big body to open up space for guards all season long. NBA.com

Atlanta Hawks, Pero Antić 

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.GKXLjJO2.dpuf

• Premium Member

I can't imagine what players were actually shooting threes against him, so I don't care much about that stat. The stat about screen setting is good stuff though. I'm not a huge Antić fan but I do appreciate some of the "off the stat sheet" things he provides us.

• Like 1

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/player-spotlight-pero-Antić

Numbers Prove Antić's Value As Post Defender

Posted: Jun 11, 2015

Second-year center Pero Antić once again proved he could be a valuable asset off the bench for Atlanta.  Where he really exceled this season is on defense, holding opposing players to 44% from the field. That number was 1.9% lower than normal.

Antić’s versatility as a “stretch 5” is extremely unqiue, and he showed that versatility on defense as well.  Opposing players shot just 23.8% from behind the three-point line with him contesting, which was 8.5% lower than normal.  In other words, Antić was among the best centers in the league at contesting jump shots.

MOCAP Analytics used SportVU player tracking data to rate Antić a 76 or higher in all major defensive categories, including post defense and ball screener defense.  He’s also rated a 90 in screen-setting, as he used his big body to open up space for guards all season long.

Diving further into the stats, Antić had a 6.0 net rating, a positive sign.  How much did he impact the game?  In Hawks wins, his rating (the difference in points scored and points allowed per 100 possessions) was 11.4, and in losses it was -9.0.  The Hawks won 60 and lost 22, so you do the math.

One area Antić knows he needs to improve on is perimeter jump shooting.  He shot just 30% from three-point range this season, and while he doesn’t need to make a ton for the Hawks, his ability to stretch the floor diminishes if he can’t make shots with relative consistency.  That will no doubt be a point of emphasis for the Hawks, who have the option to make Antić a qualifying offer this summer.

But, but, but, some of the resident geniuses told me that Pero was turrible.

• Like 1

My old dad told me several times:

"Figures don't lie but liars figure."

Can we believe what is right in front of us?  Or, are we so turned off by our big

man from off the bench that we can't see it?

We know, like our former J Smoove, he can hit the three.  Not often, and that

irks us.  Pero is not our starter.  Not often, any way.  Also, he doesn't get paid

a ton of $$$ for what he does.

And, he has many, many fans from his home country.

Watch the games. He's a bad player. I hate this about baseball and their nerd fans with these useless stats. Now it's ruining the basketball world too.

I know that this comment may well subject me to ridicule, but rather than re-sign Antić, I'd rather get someone like David Lee to come off the bench (as long as we can still pick up another big to play defense).  Why Golden State has been playing guys like Speight instead of Lee is puzzling to me.  Lee can still score, has an inside offensive game and is a good rebounder. His defense wasn't horrible.  I'm not saying give him a big contract, but I was impressed with his play the other night.  I'd certainly be willing to give him a mid-level type exception.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Sorry I don't agree about how useful Antić is for the Hawks. There are other centers who can do more and as we saw Antić doesn't belng on the floor chucking up bricks against elite competition in the playoffs. He may get away with his play in the regular season but come playoff time when it counts I don't want him on the floor. Big mean need to rebound,have some low post moves and be able to block a shot once in awhile. If you want to go deep in the playoffs Antić can not be your main guy off the bench when it comes to bigs. Also consider he would be taking court time for someone who needs more development like Tavaras this coming year.

I know that this comment may well subject me to ridicule, but rather than re-sign Antić, I'd rather get someone like David Lee to come off the bench (as long as we can still pick up another big to play defense).  Why Golden State has been playing guys like Speight instead of Lee is puzzling to me.  Lee can still score, has an inside offensive game and is a good rebounder. His defense wasn't that bad.  I'm not saying give him a big contract, but I was impressed with his play the other night.  I'd certainly be willing to give him a mid-level type exception.

Agree I like Lee's play on the court. I don't see how the Hawks could afford him though.

• Like 1

Sorry I don't agree about how useful Antić is for the Hawks. There are other centers who can do more and as we saw Antić doesn't belng on the floor chucking up bricks against elite competition in the playoffs. He may get away with his play in the regular season but come playoff time when it counts I don't want him on the floor. Big mean need to rebound,have some low post moves and be able to block a shot once in awhile. If you want to go deep in the playoffs Antić can not be your main guy off the bench when it comes to bigs. Also consider he would be taking court time for someone who needs more development like Tavaras this coming year.

Agree I like Lee's play on the court. I don't see how the Hawks could afford him though.

Oops, my bad.  I thought Lee was a free agent for this upcoming season.  He makes more than anyone on our team.  In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna, "Never Mind."

Edited by Watchman

• Premium Member

For your information only.

Antić’s versatility as a “stretch 5” is extremely unqiue, and he showed that versatility on defense as well. Opposing players shot just 23.8% from behind the three-point line with him contesting, which was 8.5% lower than normal. In other words, Antić was among the best centers in the league at contesting jump shots. MOCAP Analytics used SportVU player tracking data to rate Antić a 76 or higher in all major defensive categories, including post defense and ball screener defense. He’s also rated a 90 in screen-setting, as he used his big body to open up space for guards all season long. NBA.com

Atlanta Hawks, Pero Antić 

I have bolded what I believe is the questionable statement.

How many bigs are stepping out beyond three?  How many 5s are stepping out there and Antić is guarding?  Channing Frye?

• Like 3

• Moderators

How many bigs are stepping out beyond three?  How many 5s are stepping out there and Antić is guarding?  Channing Frye?

He was 8.5% better at it than other centers and he didn't even have the benefit of getting to guard himself!

• Like 1

Watch the games. He's a bad player. I hate this about baseball and their nerd fans with these useless stats. Now it's ruining the basketball world too.

I agree. Forget logic and intellect and any analytical thinking. Everything should be based upon the first negative thing that comes to your mind.

• Like 1

How many bigs are stepping out beyond three? How many 5s are stepping out there and Antić is guarding? Channing Frye?

Well It didn't specify "bigs whose shot he contested" just "shots that he contested". So include all the traps, the switches, and rotations of which Pero was typically involved in and obviously excelled at.

I want him gone for no other reason than I've already grown beyond tired arguing with people who want to blame him for everything and now am growing tired of just reading people complaining about him.

His detractors argue "name one stat he exels at!"

Reasonable observers say "basketball goes beyond just individual stats, watch the game and the actual little things he contributes to"

Detractors "bull shit, he had like 1 rebound in 20 minutes!!! Garbage, absolute garbage I tell you!"

Stats come out and quantify the little things that he contributes to that those who watch the game have been alluding to for two seasons and.....

Detractors "see, this is the problem with nerds ruining sports. They just want to crunch numbers based on watching the game rather than just watching the game. Anyone can see that Pero is terrible."

• Like 2

Let me start out by saying, I'm not an Antić fan. I joke and make fun of him all the time. I don't play H-O-R-S-E with friends I play A-N-T-I-C.

Now with that SAID:

He's cheap. He costs practically nothing and he is a good defender. He's a good defender that can even stretch the defense 25% of the time when his shot is actually falling. For what we pay him, that's worth it, bring him back. Don't get me wrong, I'm saying this PURELY from a cost vs effect standpoint. I don't want him being our first option off the bench. I honestly don't want him being our second, third, or fourth option off the bench. But, assuming some other team doesn't want to actually pay for him (In which case, let him go, I'd LOVE to watch a team flounder by paying for Antić) I say resign him to the minimum. He's worth the minimum. Maybe even a TINY bit more.

Edited by Blazemore
  • Like 2