• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

Well, I loved the trade back for assets since we had no direct need for a project SF with a higher 1st year pay in a year where we could lose Paul or Carrol because of 1 mil in starting salary. (Stupid early bird)

However, I hate trading the $1.5 mil slot 19th for a $1.5 mil THJ. That being said, Bud sees something he likes, and given his development of some low level salary players in this offense, Baz, Carroll, and Scott most notably, guys who contribute well beyond their contract rates compared to players in the league earning 4-5 times what they do, I will give him some credit here and hold my tongue for 2 years. Let's be real about what we did here though, we traded 4 years of control over Grant or another quality pick for 2 of THJ. If he scores 7-8 per game on 50% shooting or 40% for 3 it will be a big backcourt lift for a playoff team. If not, we just flushed away 2 straight 1st picks.

4. Nogs and Jenkins.

You act like they got 2 seconds and a 1st. That's what we got. Perhaps trading the 19 for 31, and 36 is better than THJ though.

My point is the compensation is the same. However the value of 15 is far better than the value of 24.

Actually 5. Damion James and that trade was a waste too. 5 straight first round picks...

Come to think of it, maybe the Hawks should flush all their picks away with this history. Trade firsts for double digit scorers on rookie contracts from one of the two worst teams in the league with horrible coaching. Call it drafting from the NBA, instead of the NBA draft.

Come to think of it, maybe the Hawks should flush all their picks away with this history. Trade firsts for double digit scorers on rookie contracts from one of the two worst teams in the league with horrible coaching. Call it drafting from the NBA, instead of the NBA draft.

I mean it's literally impossible to do worse.

We have, what, 3 successfull picks since 2000?

Payne did great.

You're right, Payne was the only transaction of note for the team in the past 3 years.  My, why even attempt to create an overall point to anything when they can be so easily deconstructed by such a poignant counterargument.   You, sir, are incredibly good at this.  Carry on with your great points of wisdom.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You're right, Payne was the only transaction of note for the team in the past 3 years. My, why even attempt to create an overall point to anything when they can be so easily deconstructed by such a poignant counterargument. You, sir, are incredibly good at this. Carry on with your great points of wisdom.

Our first round picks in Jenkins, Bebe and Payne represent a significant missed opportunity by our GM. It doesn't overrule all the good things he did, but that kind of drafting kept the Hawks from taking the next step under Babs and others. You need to have talent that out produces salary and picks are a better shot at that for most teams than FA and they come with 4-8 years of team control.

Ferry did an exceptional job getting Sap, Teague, Korver and DMC on contracts that they exceeded last year. Those days of enjoying great pay / play ratios for Sap and DMC are over, I think. On their next deal you hope they modestly outperform that deal and worry they will significantly under perform it.

Edited by AHF

Our first round picks in Jenkins, Bebe and Payne represent a significant missed opportunity by our GM. It doesn't overrule all the good things he did, but that kind of drafting kept the Hawks from taking the next step under Babs and others. You need to have talent that out produces salary and picks are a better shot at that for most teams than FA and they come with 4-8 years of team control.

Ferry did an exceptional job getting Sap, Teague, Korver and DMC on contracts that they exceeded last year. Those days of enjoying great pay / play ratios for Sap and DMC are over, I think. On their next deal you hope they modestly outperform that deal and worry they will significantly under perform it.

Outside of drafting Dennis... Babcock could have done this good at drafting... Unless you consider Mike Scott a prize.

I admit that I was on the Mike Scott bandwagon in his 2nd year, but he sucked last year and made no improvement from his 2nd to 3rd year.

THE SKY IS FALLING! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! THE WORLD IS OVER!!!! 0-82 no doubts. How is every poster on this board smarter than the coach of the year?

Lol I can't believe you people. We draft someone in the first round. It's not that bad. We picked up a bench scorer that the staff has faith in obviously. I don't know why some people here think that because we won't have a 20 year old on the roster we are going to drop from 60 wins to a non factor in the league. If THJ doesn't work out, although I believe in him, it's not the end of the world. I swear in the offseason everyone gets their panties in a wad because we don't make the splashes we were hoping for. Well these splashless offseasons got us to be the #1 seed for the first time in decades. Can't we FINALLY have faith in coach Bud. He turned this team into one of the best in the league. Missing out on a rookie isn't going to change that.

• Like 1

You're right. Let's take the team that got swept in the ecf, Trade for a guy to replace Jenkins, And go right back at it....

And next yall will say "we have free agency left!". Well we said that last year and we signed Thabo and baze. Woo. Both of those players did zero for us in the playoffs.

Edited by Afro

THE SKY IS FALLING! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! THE WORLD IS OVER!!!! 0-82 no doubts. How is every poster on this board smarter than the coach of the year?

Lol I can't believe you people. We draft someone in the first round. It's not that bad. We picked up a bench scorer that the staff has faith in obviously. I don't know why some people here think that because we won't have a 20 year old on the roster we are going to drop from 60 wins to a non factor in the league. If THJ doesn't work out, although I believe in him, it's not the end of the world. I swear in the offseason everyone gets their panties in a wad because we don't make the splashes we were hoping for. Well these splashless offseasons got us to be the #1 seed for the first time in decades. Can't we FINALLY have faith in coach Bud. He turned this team into one of the best in the league. Missing out on a rookie isn't going to change that.

Just another blown draft pick... It happens so often for this franchise that some have just grown to accept it. That's pretty sad.

You're right. Let's take the team that got swept in the ecf, Trade for a guy to replace Jenkins, And go right back at it....

And next yall will say "we have free agency left!". Well we said that last year and we signed Thabo and baze. Woo. Both of those players did zero for us in the playoffs.

The road couldn't have been easier this year. Will not happen next year.

You Debbie downers don't deserve the success we had last year and will continue to have! I'm done with this website. I've NEVER been more embarrassed to be a hawks fan.

Yeah, just look at all that success they had during the 2nd half of the season. 

The road to the ECF couldn't have been any easier. You can't count on getting there again while young teams are improving and the other contenders are adding real players while the Hawks blow first round picks and add scrubs.

I can understand if they don't like the draft this year. Fine... Trade for a future first rounder or something.

They probably could have got Hardaway for cheaper or they could have found someone in FA that could do as good as Hardaway Jr.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 2

Been reading this forum for years, but finally decided to post.  While I don't think anyone is willing to attest to having seen Coach Bud walking on water or anything, however, I do think that based on what he put on the court this past year (given the world's lowly expectations prior to the season unfolding), Coach has earned a certain amount of deference.  Having said that, I must admit that I didn't see these moves coming and felt a bit of a sting of disappointment as the evening unfolded.  Nevertheless, I am more than happy to fight back my disappointment at not having a shinny new toy from the draft, to say loud and proud that Coach Bud is my coach & I would follow him to South Beach & back b/c he has earned that respect.

Ok, now that that's off my chest, I think I might have something that will cheer you all up... ENJOY!!!

If you're a true Hawks fan, I think you'll enjoy the video and the song...

https://youtu.be/At570tCpzug

https://www.reverbnation.com/kasthegreat

Go Hawks!!!

Kas the Great

You Debbie downers don't deserve the success we had last year and will continue to have! I'm done with this website. I've NEVER been more embarrassed to be a hawks fan.

The Squawk is a good place. Don't let the downers ruin it for you. They come out for the draft and they'll have some other, lesser holidays if/when Gasol, Aldridge, Millsap, and DMC sign elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got ourselves a young shooting guard who can create his own shot and is good from the 3 point line. He can't play defense but he's young and bud can hopefully teach him.

We could have gambled on a guard who could have been a bust, I'm a class half full kind of guy after this draft day. At least Tim Hardaway Jr is NBA ready now.

The Squawk is a good place. Don't let the downers ruin it for you. They come out for the draft and they'll have some other, lesser holidays if/when Gasol, Aldridge, Millsap, and DMC sign elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't post often but I read all the stuff posted here all the time. Of all the fan forums I've been too this is usually the most pleasant one. I just hope as Hawks fans we can stay positive and believe in the team that Coach Bud wants to build. At least I believe we can save or judgment of the pick until we see THJ play as a hawk. Then the negativity is more warranted. This is going to be a loooong offseason if we don't believe in the in our current staff's vision! #InBudWeTrust